OREMUS: 15 June 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Jun 14 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Sunday, June 15, 2008
The Fifth Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, God and Father of all believers!
You summoned our forebear Abram
to follow you in ways he did not know
and put his faith in things he could not see.
You bless all who honor him as their ancestor
and invite us to come together in understanding
and reverence for your name.

Have mercy on me, O God,
   according to your loving-kindness;*
 in your great compassion blot out my offences.
Wash me through and through from my wickedness*
 and cleanse me from my sin.
For I know my transgressions,*
 and my sin is ever before me.
Against you only have I sinned*
 and done what is evil in your sight.
And so you are justified when you speak*
 and upright in your judgement.
Indeed, I have been wicked from my birth,*
 a sinner from my mother's womb.
For behold, you look for truth deep within me,*
 and will make me understand wisdom secretly.
Purge me from my sin and I shall be pure;*
 wash me and I shall be clean indeed.
Make me hear of joy and gladness,*
 that the body you have broken may rejoice.
Hide your face from my sins*
 and blot out all my iniquities.
Create in me a clean heart, O God,*
 and renew a right spirit within me.
Cast me not away from your presence*
 and take not your holy Spirit from me.
Give me the joy of your saving help again*
 and sustain me with your bountiful Spirit.
I shall teach your ways to the wicked,*
 and sinners shall return to you.
Deliver me from death, O God,*
 and my tongue shall sing of your righteousness,
   O God of my salvation.
Open my lips, O Lord,*
 and my mouth shall proclaim your praise.
Had you desired it, I would have offered sacrifice,*
 but you take no delight in burnt-offerings.
The sacrifice of God is a troubled spirit;*
 a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.
Be favourable and gracious to Zion,*
 and rebuild the walls of Jerusalem.
Then you will be pleased with the appointed sacrifices,
   with burnt-offerings and oblations;*
 then shall they offer young bullocks upon your altar.

A Song of Divine Love (1 Corinthians 13.4-13)

Love is patient and kind,
love is not jealous or boastful,
it is not arrogant or rude.
Love does not insist on its own way,
it is not angry or resentful.
It does not rejoice in wrongdoing
but rejoices in the truth.
Love bears all things and believes all things;
love hopes all things and endures all things.
Love will never come to an end,
but prophecy will vanish,
tongues cease and knowledge pass away.
Now we know only in part
and we prophesy only in part,
But when the perfect comes,
the partial shall pass away.
When I was a child, I spoke like a child,
I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child.
But when I became mature,
I put an end to childish ways.
For now we see only puzzling reflections in a mirror,
but then we will see face to face.
Now I know only in part;
then I shall know fully,
even as I have been fully known.
There are three things that last for ever,
faith, hope and love,
but the greatest of these is love.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Isaiah 29:9-15]:

Stupefy yourselves and be in a stupor,
   blind yourselves and be blind!
Be drunk, but not from wine;
   stagger, but not from strong drink!
For the Lord has poured out upon you
   a spirit of deep sleep;
he has closed your eyes, you prophets,
   and covered your heads, you seers.

 The vision of all this has become for you like the words of a sealed document. If it is
given to those who can read, with the command, 'Read this', they say, 'We cannot, for
it is sealed.' And if it is given to those who cannot read, saying, 'Read this', they say,
'We cannot read.'

The Lord said:
Because these people draw near with their mouths
   and honour me with their lips,
   while their hearts are far from me,
and their worship of me is a human commandment learned by rote;
so I will again do
   amazing things with this people,
   shocking and amazing.
The wisdom of their wise shall perish,
   and the discernment of the discerning shall be hidden.

Ha! You who hide a plan too deep for the Lord,
   whose deeds are in the dark,
   and who say, 'Who sees us? Who knows us?'

HYMN
Words:
Tune:

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t698.html

SECOND READING [Matthew 15:1-20]:

Pharisees and scribes came to Jesus from Jerusalem and said, 'Why do your disciples
break the tradition of the elders? For they do not wash their hands before they eat.' He
answered them, 'And why do you break the commandment of God for the sake of
your tradition? For God said, "Honour your father and your mother," and, "Whoever
speaks evil of father or mother must surely die." But you say that whoever tells father
or mother, "Whatever support you might have had from me is given to God", then that
person need not honour the father. So, for the sake of your tradition, you make void
the word of God. You hypocrites! Isaiah prophesied rightly about you when he
said:
"This people honours me with their lips,
   but their hearts are far from me;
in vain do they worship me,
   teaching human precepts as doctrines." '

Then he called the crowd to him and said to them, 'Listen and understand: it is not
what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but it is what comes out of the mouth
that defiles.' Then the disciples approached and said to him, 'Do you know that the
Pharisees took offence when they heard what you said?' He answered, 'Every plant
that my heavenly Father has not planted will be uprooted. Let them alone; they are
blind guides of the blind. And if one blind person guides another, both will fall into a
pit.' But Peter said to him, 'Explain this parable to us.' Then he said, 'Are you also
still without understanding? Do you not see that whatever goes into the mouth enters
the stomach, and goes out into the sewer? But what comes out of the mouth proceeds
from the heart, and this is what defiles. For out of the heart come evil intentions,
murder, adultery, fornication, theft, false witness, slander. These are what defile a
person, but to eat with unwashed hands does not defile.'

Almighty God, you have called your disciples to proclaim the good news and given us
authority to share in your work of healing and compassion; hear the voice of our
supplication and incline your ear to us as we call upon you, saying:  You are good, O
God; your mercy is everlasting; and your faithfulness endures from age to age.

Grant to your apostolic church the power of your kingdom, O God, and send out
laborers into your harvest, until all the world knows that the kingdom of heaven has
come near.
You are good, O God; your mercy is everlasting;
and your faithfulness endures from age to age.

Look upon the nations and all in authority as we struggle, harassed and helpless like
sheep without a shepherd, O God:  Pour out the abundance of your grace that we may
become a priestly kingdom and a holy nation.
You are good, O God; your mercy is everlasting;
and your faithfulness endures from age to age.
and your faithfulness endures from age to age.

Look upon our community as your treasured possession, and let everyone know your
love poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit that has been given to us.
You are good, O God; your mercy is everlasting;
and your faithfulness endures from age to age.

Hear our prayers for those near and far.  We offer the sacrifice of thanksgiving for all
our joys.  We entrust with hope those who have died that they may share the glory of
God.  Grant that suffering may produce endurance, and endurance produce character,
and character produce hope that does not disappoint because of your loved poured out
through the Holy Spirit that has been given to us.
You are good, O God; your mercy is everlasting;
and your faithfulness endures from age to age.

Almighty God,
you have called us to serve you,
yet without your grace we are unable to please you:
Mercifully grant that your Holy Spirit
may in all things direct and rule our hearts;
one God, now and forever. Amen.

God of all trust,
may our faith be shown in our lives
marked with abundant joy, outrageous hope,
and dependence on nothing
but your word, Jesus Christ.  Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing sentence are adapted from prayers by
Alan Griffiths.