OREMUS: 13 June 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Jun 12 17:00:02 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Friday, June 13, 2008
Antony of Padua, OFM, Missionary, Preacher, 1231

Blessed are you, O Lord,
full of compassion and mercy,
slow to anger and of great kindness.
You have not dealt with us according to our sins,
your mercy is great upon those who fear you.
In your Son Jesus Christ you have redeemed
our life from the grave and crowned us with mercy and loving-kindness.
You satisfy us with good things,
and our youth is renewed like an eagle's.

I love the Lord,
   because he has heard the voice of my supplication,*
 because he has inclined his ear to me
   whenever I called upon him.
The cords of death entangled me;
   the grip of the grave took hold of me;*
 I came to grief and sorrow.
Then I called upon the name of the Lord:*
 'O Lord, I pray you, save my life.'
Gracious is the Lord and righteous;*
 our God is full of compassion.
The Lord watches over the innocent;*
 I was brought very low and he helped me.
Turn again to your rest, O my soul,*
 for the Lord has treated you well.
For you have rescued my life from death,*
 my eyes from tears and my feet from stumbling.
I will walk in the presence of the Lord*
 in the land of the living.
I believed, even when I said,
   'I have been brought very low.'*
 In my distress I said, 'No one can be trusted.'
How shall I repay the Lord*
 for all the good things he has done for me?
I will lift up the cup of salvation*
 and call upon the name of the Lord.
I will fulfil my vows to the Lord*
 in the presence of all his people.
Precious in the sight of the Lord*
 is the death of his servants.
O Lord, I am your servant;*
 I am your servant and the child of your handmaid;
   you have freed me from my bonds.
I will offer you the sacrifice of thanksgiving*
 and call upon the name of the Lord.
I will fulfil my vows to the Lord*
 in the presence of all his people.
In the courts of the Lord's house,*
 in the midst of you, O Jerusalem.
   Alleluia!

A Song of God's Assembled (Hebrews 12.22-24a,28,29)

We have come before God's holy mountain,
to the heavenly Jerusalem, the city of the living God.
We have come before countless angels making festival,
before the assembly of the firstborn citizens of heaven.
We have come before God, who is judge of all,
before the spirits of the just made perfect.
We have come before Jesus,
the mediator of the new covenant.
We are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken:
so let us give thanks and offer to God acceptable worship,
Full of reverence and awe;
for our God is a consuming fire.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [Nehemiah 13:15-22]:

In those days I saw in Judah people treading wine presses on the sabbath, and bringing
in heaps of grain and loading them on donkeys; and also wine, grapes, figs, and all
kinds of burdens, which they brought into Jerusalem on the sabbath day; and I warned
them at that time against selling food. Tyrians also, who lived in the city, brought in
fish and all kinds of merchandise and sold them on the sabbath to the people of Judah,
and in Jerusalem. Then I remonstrated with the nobles of Judah and said to them,
'What is this evil thing that you are doing, profaning the sabbath day? Did not your
ancestors act in this way, and did not our God bring all this disaster on us and on this
city? Yet you bring more wrath on Israel by profaning the sabbath.'
When it began to be dark at the gates of Jerusalem before the sabbath, I commanded
that the doors should be shut and gave orders that they should not be opened until
after the sabbath. And I set some of my servants over the gates, to prevent any burden
from being brought in on the sabbath day. Then the merchants and sellers of all kinds
of merchandise spent the night outside Jerusalem once or twice. But I warned them
and said to them, 'Why do you spend the night in front of the wall? If you do so again,
I will lay hands on you.' From that time on they did not come on the sabbath. And I
commanded the Levites that they should purify themselves and come and guard the
gates, to keep the sabbath day holy. Remember this also in my favour, O my God, and
spare me according to the greatness of your steadfast love.

HYMN
Words: Meine Hoffnung stehet feste Joachim Neander (1650-1680) paraphrased Robert
Bridges (1844-1930)
Tune: Michael

All my hope on God is founded;
He doth still my trust renew.
Me through change and chance he guideth,
Only good and only true.
God unknown,
He alone
Calls my heart to be his own.

Pride of man and earthly glory,
Sword and crown betray his trust;
What with care and toil he buildeth,
Tower and temple, fall to dust.
But God's power,
Hour by hour,
Is my temple and my tower.

God's great goodness ay endureth,
Deep his wisdom, passing thought:
Splendour, light, and life attend him,
Beauty springeth out of nought.
Evermore,
>From his store
New-born worlds rise and adore.

Daily doth the almighty giver
Bounteous gifts on us bestow;
His desire our soul delighteth,
Pleasure leads us where we go.
Love doth stand
At his hand;
Joy doth wait on his command.

Still from man to God eternal
Sacrifice of praise be done,
High above all praises praising
For the gift of Christ his Son.
Christ doth call
One and all:
Ye who follow shall not fall.

SECOND READING [Acts 15:13-21]:

James said, 'My brothers, listen to me. Simeon has related how God first looked
favourably on the Gentiles, to take from among them a people for his name. This agrees
with the words of the prophets, as it is written,
"After this I will return,
and I will rebuild the dwelling of David, which has fallen;
   from its ruins I will rebuild it,
     and I will set it up,
so that all other peoples may seek the Lord
   even all the Gentiles over whom my name has been called.
     Thus says the Lord, who has been making these things known from long ago."
Therefore I have reached the decision that we should not trouble those Gentiles who are
turning to God, but we should write to them to abstain only from things polluted by
idols and from fornication and from whatever has been strangled and from blood. For in
every city, for generations past, Moses has had those who proclaim him, for he has been
read aloud every sabbath in the synagogues.'

Merciful God, we praise you that you give strength for
every weakness, forgiveness for our failures, and new
beginnings in Jesus Christ. Especially we thank you for
     the guidance of your Spirit through this day...
                                (We thank you, Lord.)
     signs of new life and hope...
     people who have helped us...
     those who struggle for justice...
     expressions of love unexpected or undeserved...

Almighty God, you know all needs before we speak our
prayers, yet you welcome our concerns for others in Jesus
Christ. Especially we pray for
     those who keep watch over the sick and dying...
                                (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     those who weep with the grieving...
     those who are without faith
     and cannot accept your love...
     those who grow old...
     Reformed, Presbyterian, and Lutheran churches...

Lord,
you shared the limits of our life
to save us from the snares of death;
may we have the courage to walk before you
in the land of the living,
and witness to your presence before all the people;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Almighty and eternal God,
you have given us blessed Antony of Padua
as an example of outstanding preaching
and intercession for others in times of need:
Grant us grace so to follow his model of Christian living
that we may experience the support of your Holy Spirit
in all that we must endure;
through Jesus Christ our Lord,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit

Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless God's holy name.
Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all that God has done.
Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing sentence are adapted from Psalm 103.

Antony was born in Lisbon in 1195, and spent the first twenty-five years of his
life in Portugal. Desiring to become a missionary, he joined the Franciscans and
was sent to Morocco to preach to the Muslims. His health failed, and he
returned almost immediately and was sent to Italy, where he seemed headed
for an uneventful obscurity. However, a conference of Dominicans and
Franciscans was scheduled, at which each group thought that the other was
about to provide the preacher, and so no one was prepared. For some reason,
Antony was thrust forward and told to say something, and he astonished his
hearers with the grace and power of his exhortation. He was told that he must
speak more often, and he devoted the last nine years of his life to preaching.
He had a thorough knowledge of the Scriptures, and his sermons reflect that
knowledge. He was noted for his refutations of heresies, and for his
denunciations of clergy who did not live dedicated lives and of wealthy and
powerful persons who oppressed the common people.
It is said that Antony in his private prayers was accustomed to direct his
devotion to Jesus as an infant, and to meditate on the Divine Humility that
stooped to accept, not merely the limitations of being human, but the
limitations of being a helpless baby, utterly dependent on others. For this
reason, artists often portray Antony in a Franciscan robe, carrying a lily and the
child Jesus.
Background note: In many countries, it is widely believed that Antony, now in
heaven, makes a special point of praying on behalf of his fellow Christians who
have lost or misplaced items and wish to find them. He also prays on behalf of
women who wish to marry. [James Kiefer, abridged]