OREMUS: 12 June 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Jun 11 17:00:08 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Thursday, June 12, 2008

Blessed are you, O Lord,
full of compassion and mercy,
slow to anger and of great kindness.
You have not dealt with us according to our sins,
your mercy is great upon those who fear you.
In your Son Jesus Christ you have redeemed
our life from the grave and crowned us with mercy and loving-kindness.
You satisfy us with good things,
and our youth is renewed like an eagle's.

   I will give thanks to the Lord with my whole heart,*
 in the assembly of the upright, in the congregation.
Great are the deeds of the Lord!*
 they are studied by all who delight in them.
His work is full of majesty and splendour,*
 and his righteousness endures for ever.
He makes his marvellous works to be remembered;*
 the Lord is gracious and full of compassion.
He gives food to those who fear him;*
 he is ever mindful of his covenant.
He has shown his people the power of his works*
 in giving them the lands of the nations.
The works of his hands are faithfulness and justice;*
 all his commandments are sure.
They stand fast for ever and ever,*
 because they are done in truth and equity.
He sent redemption to his people;
   he commanded his covenant for ever;*
 holy and awesome is his name.
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom;*
 those who act accordingly have a good understanding;
   his praise endures for ever.

   When Israel came out of Egypt,*
 the house of Jacob from a people of strange speech,
Judah became God's sanctuary*
 and Israel his dominion.
The sea beheld it and fled;*
 Jordan turned and went back.
The mountains skipped like rams,*
 and the little hills like young sheep.
What ailed you, O sea, that you fled?*
 O Jordan, that you turned back?
You mountains, that you skipped like rams?*
 you little hills like young sheep?
Tremble, O earth, at the presence of the Lord,*
 at the presence of the God of Jacob,
Who turned the hard rock into a pool of water*
 and flint-stone into a flowing spring.

A Song of Repentance (1 John 1. 5-9)

This is the message we have heard from Christ
and proclaim to you:
that God is light,
in whom there is no darkness at all.
If we say that we have fellowship with God
while we walk in darkness,
we lie and do not do what is true.
But if we walk in the light
as God is in the light,
we have fellowship with one another.
And the blood of Jesus, the Son of God,
cleanses us from all our sins.
If we say that we have no sin,
we deceive ourselves
and the truth is not in us.
If we confess our sins,
the One who is faithful and just will forgive us
and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [Nehemiah 9:32-end]:

Ezra said, 'Now therefore, our God the great and mighty and awesome God,
keeping covenant and steadfast love do not treat lightly all the hardship that has
come upon us, upon our kings, our officials, our priests, our prophets, our ancestors,
and all your people, since the time of the kings of Assyria until today. You have been
just in all that has come upon us, for you have dealt faithfully and we have acted
wickedly; our kings, our officials, our priests, and our ancestors have not kept your
law or heeded the commandments and the warnings that you gave them. Even in their
own kingdom, and in the great goodness you bestowed on them, and in the large and
rich land that you set before them, they did not serve you and did not turn from their
wicked works. Here we are, slaves to this day slaves in the land that you gave to our
ancestors to enjoy its fruit and its good gifts. Its rich yield goes to the kings whom you
have set over us because of our sins; they have power also over our bodies and over
our livestock at their pleasure, and we are in great distress.'
Because of all this we make a firm agreement in writing, and on that sealed document
are inscribed the names of our officials, our Levites, and our priests.

HYMN
Words: Elizabeth A P Head (1850-1936)
Tune: Spiritus Vitae

O breath of love, come breathe within us,
renewing thought and will and heart;
come, love of Christ, afresh to win us,
revive your Church in every part!

O wind of God, come bend us, break us
till humbly we confess our need;
then, in your tenderness remake us,
revive, restore-for this we plead.

O breath of life, come sweeping through us,
revive your Church with life and power;
O breath of life, come, cleanse, renew us
and fit your Church to meet this hour.

SECOND READING [Acts 15:1-12]:

Certain individuals came down from Judea and were teaching the brothers, 'Unless you
are circumcised according to the custom of Moses, you cannot be saved.' And after Paul
and Barnabas had no small dissension and debate with them, Paul and Barnabas and
some of the others were appointed to go up to Jerusalem to discuss this question with
the apostles and the elders. So they were sent on their way by the church, and as they
passed through both Phoenicia and Samaria, they reported the conversion of the
Gentiles, and brought great joy to all the believers. When they came to Jerusalem, they
were welcomed by the church and the apostles and the elders, and they reported all that
God had done with them. But some believers who belonged to the sect of the Pharisees
stood up and said, 'It is necessary for them to be circumcised and ordered to keep the
law of Moses.'
The apostles and the elders met together to consider this matter. After there had been
much debate, Peter stood up and said to them, 'My brothers, you know that in the early
days God made a choice among you, that I should be the one through whom the
Gentiles would hear the message of the good news and become believers. And God,
who knows the human heart, testified to them by giving them the Holy Spirit, just as he
did to us; and in cleansing their hearts by faith he has made no distinction between them
and us. Now therefore why are you putting God to the test by placing on the neck of the
disciples a yoke that neither our ancestors nor we have been able to bear? On the
contrary, we believe that we will be saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus, just as
they will.'
The whole assembly kept silence, and listened to Barnabas and Paul as they told of all
the signs and wonders that God had done through them among the Gentiles.

We give you praise and thanks, O God, for all gifts of
love we have received from you, and for your persistent
mercy in Jesus Christ. Especially we thank you for
     work we have accomplished pleasing to you...
                         (We thank you, Lord.)
     the faithful witness of Christian people...
     the example of righteousness we see in parents and teachers...
     the innocence and openness we see in children...
     all works of Christian compassion...

We give you our cares and concerns, O God, because we
know you are kind and care for your children in every
circumstance. Especially we pray for
     those who struggle with doubt and despair...
            (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     people afflicted with disease...
     those called to special ministries...
     people neglected or abused...
     Baptist, Disciples of Christ, and other free churches...

Gracious God, full of compassion,
the works of your hands are justice and truth,
May we who long for your kingdom to come
rejoice to do your will
and acknowledge your power alone to save;

Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless God's holy name.
Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all that God has done.
Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing sentence are adapted from Psalm 103.

The intercession is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993
Westminster / John Knox Press.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com