OREMUS: 11 June 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Jun 10 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Wednesday, June 11, 2008
Saint Barnabas the Apostle

Blessed are you, God of justice and compassion:
by the voice of your Holy Spirit you chose Barnabas
from the whole assembly of those who believed in Christ.
You numbered him among the apostles
as the companion of Paul,
sending him to minster the truth of your Gospel
so that salvation and eternal life
might be proclaimed to all the nations.

The Lord is king; let the earth rejoice;*
 let the multitude of the isles be glad.
Clouds and darkness are round about him,*
 righteousness and justice
   are the foundations of his throne.
A fire goes before him*
 and burns up his enemies on every side.
His lightnings light up the world;*
 the earth sees it and is afraid.
The mountains melt like wax
   at the presence of the Lord,*
 at the presence of the Lord of the whole earth.
The heavens declare his righteousness,*
 and all the peoples see his glory.
Confounded be all who worship carved images
   and delight in false gods!*
 Bow down before him, all you gods.
Zion hears and is glad and the cities of Judah rejoice,*
 because of your judgements, O Lord.
For you are the Lord: most high over all the earth;*
 you are exalted far above all gods.
The Lord loves those who hate evil;*
 he preserves the lives of his saints
   and delivers them from the hand of the wicked.
Light has sprung up for the righteous,*
 and joyful gladness for those who are true-hearted.
Rejoice in the Lord, you righteous,*
 and give thanks to his holy name.

Psalm 100

Be joyful in the Lord, all you lands;*
 serve the Lord with gladness
   and come before his presence with a song.
Know this: The Lord himself is God;*
 he himself has made us and we are his;
   we are his people and the sheep of his pasture.
Enter his gates with thanksgiving;
   go into his courts with praise;*
 give thanks to him and call upon his name.
For the Lord is good; his mercy is everlasting;*
 and his faithfulness endures from age to age.

A Song of Ezekiel (Ezekiel 36:24-26,28b)

I will take you from the nations,
and gather you from all the countries.

I will sprinkle clean water upon you,
and you shall be clean from all your impurities.

A new heart I will give you,
and put a new spirit within you,

And I will remove from your body the heart of stone
and give you a heart of flesh.

You shall be my people,
and I will be your God.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [Ecclesiasticus 31:3-11]:

The rich person toils to amass a fortune,
   and when he rests he fills himself with his dainties.
The poor person toils to make a meagre living,
   and if ever he rests he becomes needy.

One who loves gold will not be justified;
   one who pursues money will be led astray by it.
Many have come to ruin because of gold,
   and their destruction has met them face to face.
It is a stumbling-block to those who are avid for it,
   and every fool will be taken captive by it.
Blessed is the rich person who is found blameless,
   and who does not go after gold.
Who is he, that we may praise him?
   For he has done wonders among his people.
Who has been tested by it and been found perfect?
   Let it be for him a ground for boasting.
Who has had the power to transgress and did not transgress,
   and to do evil and did not do it?
His prosperity will be established,
   and the assembly will proclaim his acts of charity.

HYMN
Words: John Ellerton, 1871
Tune: Strength and Stay

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o588.html

O Son of God, our Captain of salvation,
thyself by suffering schooled to human grief,
we bless thee for thy sons of consolation,
who follow in the steps of thee their Chief.

Those whom thy Spirit's dread vocation severs
to lead the vanguard of thy conquering host;
whose toilsome years are spent in brave endeavors
to bear thy saving Name from coast to coast.

Those whose bright faith makes feeble hearts grow stronger,
and sends fresh warriors to the great campaign,
bids the lone convert feel estranged no longer,
and wins the sundered to be one again;

And all true helpers, patient, kind, and skillful,
who shed thy light across our darkened earth,
counsel the doubting, and restrain the willful,
soothe the sick bed, and share the children's mirth.

Such was thy Levite, strong in self-oblation
to cast his all at thine apostles' feet;
he whose new name, through every Christian nation,
from age to age our thankful strains repeat.

Thus, Lord, thy saint in holy memory keeping,
still be thy Church's watchword, "Comfort ye,"
till in our Father's house shall end our weeping,
and all our wants be satisfied in thee.

SECOND READING [Acts 4:32-end]:

Now the whole group of those who believed were of one heart and soul, and no one
claimed private ownership of any possessions, but everything they owned was held in
common. With great power the apostles gave their testimony to the resurrection of the
Lord Jesus, and great grace was upon them all. There was not a needy person among
them, for as many as owned lands or houses sold them and brought the proceeds of
what was sold. They laid it at the apostles' feet, and it was distributed to each as any
had need. There was a Levite, a native of Cyprus, Joseph, to whom the apostles gave
the name Barnabas (which means 'son of encouragement'). He sold a field that
belonged to him, then brought the money, and laid it at the apostles' feet.

God of mercy,
you sent your beloved Son to die
for the sins of the whole world:

Look upon all people who have not known his name
and in your good time lead them to his cross:
Lord, hear our prayer.

Strengthen with the comfort of your Spirit
all who bear the message of your Gospel
wherever it may take them:
Lord, hear our prayer.

Take away from all who hear the Good News
hardness of heart and pride,
and so move them, blessed Lord, with your infinite love,
that the day may quickly come
when everyone shall turn to you
and there shall be one flock and one shepherd:
Lord, hear our prayer.

Generous God,
whose Son Jesus Christ has taught us
that it is more blessed to give than to receive:
Help us by the example of your apostle Barnabas,
a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and of faith,
to be generous in our judgments and unselfish in our service;

Draw your Church together, O God,
into one great company of disciples,
together following our Lord Jesus Christ
into every walk of life,
together serving him in his mission to the world,
and together witnessing to his love. Amen.

The intercession is by Stephen Benner.

The collect is from _A Prayer Book for Australia_. (c) 1995,
The Anglican Church of Australia Trust Corporation.

The closing sentence are adapted from prayers in _New Patterns for
Worship_, copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.