OREMUS: 9 June 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Jun 8 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Monday, June 9, 2008
Columba, Abbot of Iona, Missionary, 597

Blessed are you, O Lord,
full of compassion and mercy,
slow to anger and of great kindness.
You have not dealt with us according to our sins,
your mercy is great upon those who fear you.
In your Son Jesus Christ you have redeemed
our life from the grave and crowned us with mercy and loving-kindness.
You satisfy us with good things,
and our youth is renewed like an eagle's.

How dear to me is your dwelling, O Lord of hosts!*
 My soul has a desire and longing
   for the courts of the Lord;
   my heart and my flesh rejoice in the living God.
The sparrow has found her a house
   and the swallow a nest
   where she may lay her young;*
 by the side of your altars, O Lord of hosts,
   my King and my God.
Happy are they who dwell in your house!*
 they will always be praising you.
Happy are the people whose strength is in you!*
 whose hearts are set on the pilgrims' way.
Those who go through the desolate valley
   will find it a place of springs,*
 for the early rains have covered it with pools of water.
They will climb from height to height,*
 and the God of gods will reveal himself in Zion.
Lord God of hosts, hear my prayer;*
 hearken, O God of Jacob.
Behold our defender, O God;*
 and look upon the face of your anointed.
For one day in your courts
   is better than a thousand in my own room,*
 and to stand at the threshold of the house of my God
   than to dwell in the tents of the wicked.
For the Lord God is both sun and shield;*
 he will give grace and glory;
No good thing will the Lord withhold*
 from those who walk with integrity.
O Lord of hosts,*
 happy are they who put their trust in you!

Psalm 85

You have been gracious to your land, O Lord,*
 you have restored the good fortune of Jacob.
You have forgiven the iniquity of your people*
 and blotted out all their sins.
You have withdrawn all your fury*
 and turned yourself from your wrathful indignation.
Restore us then, O God our Saviour;*
 let your anger depart from us.
Will you be displeased with us for ever?*
 will you prolong your anger from age to age?
Will you not give us life again,*
 that your people may rejoice in you?
Show us your mercy, O Lord,*
 and grant us your salvation.
I will listen to what the Lord God is saying,*
 for he is speaking peace to his faithful people
   and to those who turn their hearts to him.
Truly, his salvation is very near to those who fear him,*
 that his glory may dwell in our land.
Mercy and truth have met together;*
 righteousness and peace have kissed each other.
Truth shall spring up from the earth,*
 and righteousness shall look down from heaven.
The Lord will indeed grant prosperity,*
 and our land will yield its increase.
Righteousness shall go before him,*
 and peace shall be a pathway for his feet.

A Song of God's Children (Romans 8.2,14,15b-19)

The law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus
has set us free from the law of sin and death.
All who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God;
for we have received the Spirit that enables us to cry, 'Abba, Father'.
The Spirit himself bears witness that we are children of God
and if God's children, then heirs of God;
If heirs of God, then fellow-heirs with Christ;
since we suffer with him now, that we may be glorified with him.
These sufferings that we now endure
are not worth comparing to the glory that shall be revealed.
For the creation waits with eager longing
for the revealing of the children of God.

FIRST READING [Nehemiah 5:1-13]:

The report of Nehemiah son of Hacaliah: Now there was a great outcry of the people
and of their wives against their Jewish kin. For there were those who said, 'With our
sons and our daughters, we are many; we must get grain, so that we may eat and stay
alive.' There were also those who said, 'We are having to pledge our fields, our
vineyards, and our houses in order to get grain during the famine.' And there were
those who said, 'We are having to borrow money on our fields and vineyards to pay
the king's tax. Now our flesh is the same as that of our kindred; our children are the
same as their children; and yet we are forcing our sons and daughters to be slaves, and
some of our daughters have been ravished; we are powerless, and our fields and
vineyards now belong to others.'
I was very angry when I heard their outcry and these complaints. After thinking it
over, I brought charges against the nobles and the officials; I said to them, 'You are all
taking interest from your own people.' And I called a great assembly to deal with
them, and said to them, 'As far as we were able, we have bought back our Jewish
kindred who had been sold to other nations; but now you are selling your own kin,
who must then be bought back by us!' They were silent, and could not find a word to
say. So I said, 'The thing that you are doing is not good. Should you not walk in the
fear of our God, to prevent the taunts of the nations our enemies? Moreover, I and my
brothers and my servants are lending them money and grain. Let us stop this taking of
interest. Restore to them, this very day, their fields, their vineyards, their olive
orchards, and their houses, and the interest on money, grain, wine, and oil that you
have been exacting from them.' Then they said, 'We will restore everything and
demand nothing more from them. We will do as you say.' And I called the priests, and
made them take an oath to do as they had promised. I also shook out the fold of my
garment and said, 'So may God shake out everyone from house and from property
who does not perform this promise. Thus may they be shaken out and emptied.' And
all the assembly said, 'Amen', and praised the Lord. And the people did as they had
promised.

HYMN
Words: Russell K Carter 1849-1926)
Tune: Standing on the promises

Standing on the promises of Christ my King,
Through eternal ages let his praises ring;
Glory in the highest, I will shout and sing,
Standing on the promises of God.
Standing, standing,
Standing on the promises of God my Saviour;
Standing, standing,
I'm standing on the promises of God.

Standing on the promises that cannot fail,
When the howling storms of doubt and fear assail;
By the living word of God I shall prevail,
Standing on the promises of God.
Chorus

Standing on the promises of Christ my Lord,
Bound to him eternally by love's strong cord,
Overcoming daily with the Spirit's sword,
Standing on the promises of God.
Chorus

Standing on the promises I cannot fall,
Listening every moment to the Spirit's call,
Resting in my Saviour as my all in all,
Standing on the promises of God.
Chorus

Standing on the promises I now can see,
Perfect, present cleansing in the blood for me;
Standing in the liberty where Christ makes free,
Standing on the promises of God.
Chorus

SECOND READING [Acts 13:44-14:7]:

The next sabbath almost the whole city gathered to hear the word of the Lord. But
when the Jews saw the crowds, they were filled with jealousy; and blaspheming, they
contradicted what was spoken by Paul. Then both Paul and Barnabas spoke out
boldly, saying, 'It was necessary that the word of God should be spoken first to you.
Since you reject it and judge yourselves to be unworthy of eternal life, we are now
turning to the Gentiles. For so the Lord has commanded us, saying,
"I have set you to be a light for the Gentiles,
   so that you may bring salvation to the ends of the earth." '

When the Gentiles heard this, they were glad and praised the word of the Lord; and as
many as had been destined for eternal life became believers. Thus the word of the Lord
spread throughout the region. But the Jews incited the devout women of high standing
and the leading men of the city, and stirred up persecution against Paul and Barnabas,
and drove them out of their region. So they shook the dust off their feet in protest
against them, and went to Iconium. And the disciples were filled with joy and with the
Holy Spirit.
The same thing occurred in Iconium, where Paul and Barnabas went into the Jewish
synagogue and spoke in such a way that a great number of both Jews and Greeks
became believers. But the unbelieving Jews stirred up the Gentiles and poisoned their
minds against the brothers. So they remained for a long time, speaking boldly for the
Lord, who testified to the word of his grace by granting signs and wonders to be done
through them. But the residents of the city were divided; some sided with the Jews,
and some with the apostles. And when an attempt was made by both Gentiles and
Jews, with their rulers, to maltreat them and to stone them, the apostles learned of it
and fled to Lystra and Derbe, cities of Lycaonia, and to the surrounding country; and
there they continued proclaiming the good news.

We rejoice in your generous goodness, O God, and
celebrate your lavish gifts to us this day, for you have
shown your love in giving Jesus Christ for the salvation
of the world. Especially we give thanks for
     the labors of those who have served us today...
                             (We thank you, Lord)
     friends with whom we have shared...
     those whom we love and have loved us...
     opportunities for our work to help others...
     all beauty that delights us...

Gracious God, we know you are close to all in need, and
by our prayers for others we come closer to you. We are
bold to claim for others your promises of new life in
Jesus Christ, as we claim them for ourselves. Especially
we pray for
     those in dangerous occupations...
                              (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     physicians and nurses...
     those who are ill or confined to nursing homes...
     for those whom we love and for those who love us...
     those who mourn...
     the Roman Catholic Church...
     the Diocese of

God of pilgrims,
teach us to recognize your dwelling place
in the love, generosity, and support of those
with whom we share our journey,
and help us to worship you
in our response to those who need our care;
for all the world is your temple
and every human heart is a sign of your presence,
made known to us in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless God's holy name.
Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all that God has done.
Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing sentence are adapted from Psalm 103.

The intercession is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993
Westminster / John Knox Press.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com