OREMUS: 8 June 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Jun 7 17:00:00 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Sunday, June 8, 2008
The Fourth Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, O Lord,
full of compassion and mercy,
slow to anger and of great kindness.
You have not dealt with us according to our sins,
your mercy is great upon those who fear you.
In your Son Jesus Christ you have redeemed
our life from the grave and crowned us with mercy and loving-kindness.
You satisfy us with good things,
and our youth is renewed like an eagle's.

Happy are they whose transgressions are forgiven,*
 and whose sin is put away!
Happy are they to whom the Lord imputes no guilt,*
 and in whose spirit there is no guile!
While I held my tongue, my bones withered away,*
 because of my groaning all day long.
For your hand was heavy upon me day and night;*
 my moisture was dried up as in the heat of summer.
Then I acknowledged my sin to you,*
 and did not conceal my guilt.
I said, 'I will confess my transgressions to the Lord';*
 then you forgave me the guilt of my sin.
Therefore all the faithful will make their prayers to you
   in time of trouble;*
 when the great waters overflow, they shall not reach them.
You are my hiding-place;
   you preserve me from trouble;*
 you surround me with shouts of deliverance.
'I will instruct you and teach you
   in the way that you should go;*
 I will guide you with my eye.
'Do not be like horse or mule,
   which have no understanding;*
 who must be fitted with bit and bridle,
   or else they will not stay near you.'
Great are the tribulations of the wicked;*
 but mercy embraces those who trust in the Lord.
Be glad, you righteous, and rejoice in the Lord;*
 shout for joy, all who are true of heart.

Psalm 36:5-end [CCP]

Your love, O Lord, reaches to the heavens,*
 and your faithfulness to the clouds.
Your righteousness is like the strong mountains,
   your justice like the great deep;*
 you save both human and beast, O Lord.
How priceless is your love, O God!*
 your people take refuge under the shadow of your wings.
They feast upon the abundance of your house;*
 you give them drink from the river of your delights.
For with you is the well of life,*
 and in your light we see light.
Continue your loving-kindness to those who know you,*
 and your favour to those who are true of heart.
Let not the foot of the proud come near me,*
 nor the hand of the wicked push me aside.
See how they are fallen, those who work wickedness!*
 they are cast down and shall not be able to rise.

A Song of Pilgrimage (Ecclesiasticus 51.13a,13c-17,20,21a,22b)

While I was still young,
I sought Wisdom openly in my prayer.
Before the temple I asked for her,
and I will search for her until the end.
>From the first blossom to the ripening grape,
my heart delighted in her.
My foot walked on the straight path,
from my youth I followed her steps.
I inclined my ear a little and received her,
I found for myself much instruction.
I made progress in Wisdom;
to the One who sent her, I will give glory.
I directed my soul to Wisdom,
and in purity have I found her.
With her, I gained understanding from the first,
therefore will I never be forsaken.
My heart was stirred to seek her,
with my tongue will I sing God's praise.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Jeremiah 23:1-8]:

Woe to the shepherds who destroy and scatter the sheep of my pasture! says the Lord.
Therefore, thus says the Lord, the God of Israel, concerning the shepherds who
shepherd my people: It is you who have scattered my flock, and have driven them
away, and you have not attended to them. So I will attend to you for your evil doings,
says the Lord. Then I myself will gather the remnant of my flock out of all the lands
where I have driven them, and I will bring them back to their fold, and they shall be
fruitful and multiply. I will raise up shepherds over them who will shepherd them, and
they shall not fear any longer, or be dismayed, nor shall any be missing, says the
Lord.
The days are surely coming, says the Lord, when I will raise up for David a righteous
Branch, and he shall reign as king and deal wisely, and shall execute justice and
righteousness in the land. In his days Judah will be saved and Israel will live in safety.
And this is the name by which he will be called: 'The Lord is our righteousness.'
Therefore, the days are surely coming, says the Lord, when it shall no longer be said,
'As the Lord lives who brought the people of Israel up out of the land of Egypt', but
'As the Lord lives who brought out and led the offspring of the house of Israel out of
the land of the north and out of all the lands where he had driven them.' Then they
shall live in their own land.

HYMN
Words: John Cennick (1718-1755)
Tune: Culbach, Harts, Innocents

Brethren, let us join to bless
Christ, the Lord our righteousness;
let our praise to Him be given,
high at God's right hand in heaven.

Son of God, to thee we bow;
thou art Lord, and only thou;
thou the blessŠd virgin's seed,
glory of thy church, and head.

Thee the angels ceaseless sing;
thee we praise, our Priest and King;
worthy is thy name of praise,
full of glory, full of grace.

Thou hast the glad tidings brought
of salvation by thee wrought;
wrought to set thy people free,
wrought to bring our souls to thee.

May we follow and adore
thee, our Saviour, more and more:
guide and bless us with thy love,
till we join thy saints above.

SECOND READING [Luke 19:2-10]:

A man was there named Zacchaeus; he was a chief tax-collector and was rich. He was
trying to see who Jesus was, but on account of the crowd he could not, because he was
short in stature. So he ran ahead and climbed a sycomore tree to see him, because he
was going to pass that way. When Jesus came to the place, he looked up and said to
him, 'Zacchaeus, hurry and come down; for I must stay at your house today.' So he
hurried down and was happy to welcome him. All who saw it began to grumble and
said, 'He has gone to be the guest of one who is a sinner.' Zacchaeus stood there and
said to the Lord, 'Look, half of my possessions, Lord, I will give to the poor; and if I
have defrauded anyone of anything, I will pay back four times as much.' Then Jesus said
to him, 'Today salvation has come to this house, because he too is a son of Abraham.
For the Son of Man came to seek out and to save the lost.'

O God Our Creator,
you have graced us with the gift of life and a world to live in.
Empower and strengthen the witness of your church
that, true to its calling, it may proclaim
your radical and boundless love, in word and deed.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

Saving God,
you nourish and sustain us by Word and Sacrament.
Strengthen all the people of our church,
especially our bishops, priests and deacons.
Grant that, sustained in you, our service and witness in this land
may be full of faith and love.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

O God, Source of our life,
you have adopted us in the waters of baptism
and made us your own in love.
We pray that we may embrace our lives and the lives of others
with courage and compassion, unafraid of joy and pain, sickness and health.
May your care be made known in our care.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

God of Justice,
you revealed your power in the servanthood of Jesus.
May those who govern the nations use their authority
in wisdom, kindness and peace.
Awaken in all who govern a thirst for justice
that embodies your care for this earth and the human community.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

Liberating God,
you are the hope of the weak and the needy.
Rescue those who suffer poverty, injustice or oppression when they cry out.
Open the ears of our hearts to hear
and quicken in us the fire to respond in love.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

Compassionate One,
you are a well-spring of comfort and healing.
Grant comfort, healing and release
to those who suffer illness, distress or grief.
Awaken in us boundless compassion
and use us as agents of lovingkindness.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

God of all generations,
we thank you for the gift of the lives
and the loving service of all who have died.
Keep us in the bonds of love with all the saints throughout the ages
and bring us to the fullness of your reign.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

O God of Love,
hear the prayers of your people.
Enliven us by your Spirit, to live into the fullness of your reign.
We pray through Jesus, our life and our hope. Amen.

Merciful God,
it is by your gift alone
that your faithful people offer you true and acceptable service:
Grant that we may so faithfully serve you in this life,
that we fail not finally to obtain your heavenly promises;
through the merits of Jesus Christ our Lord,
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless God's holy name.
Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all that God has done.
Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing sentence are adapted from Psalm 103.