OREMUS: 7 June 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Jun 6 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Saturday, June 7, 2008

Blessed are you, O Lord,
your love reaches to the heavens,
and your faithfulness to the clouds.
Your righteousness is like teh strong mountains,
your justice like the great deep;
you save your entire creation, O Lord,
in your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Be joyful in God, all you lands;*
 sing the glory of his name;
   sing the glory of his praise.
Say to God, 'How awesome are your deeds!*
 because of your great strength
   your enemies cringe before you.
'All the earth bows down before you,*
 sings to you, sings out your name.'
Come now and see the works of God,*
 how wonderful he is in his doing towards all people.
He turned the sea into dry land,
   so that they went through the water on foot,*
 and there we rejoiced in him.
In his might he rules for ever;
   his eyes keep watch over the nations;*
 let no rebel rise up against him.
Bless our God, you peoples;*
 make the voice of his praise to be heard;
Who holds our souls in life,*
 and will not allow our feet to slip.
For you, O God, have proved us;*
 you have tried us just as silver is tried.
You brought us into the snare;*
 you laid heavy burdens upon our backs.
You let enemies ride over our heads;
   we went through fire and water;*
 but you brought us out into a place of refreshment.
I will enter your house with burnt-offerings
   and will pay you my vows,*
 which I promised with my lips
   and spoke with my mouth when I was in trouble.
I will offer you sacrifices of fat beasts
   with the smoke of rams;*
 I will give you oxen and goats.
Come and listen, all you who fear God,*
 and I will tell you what he has done for me.
I called out to him with my mouth,*
 and his praise was on my tongue.
If I had found evil in my heart,*
 the Lord would not have heard me;
But in truth God has heard me;*
 he has attended to the voice of my prayer.
Blessed be God, who has not rejected my prayer,*
 nor withheld his love from me.

The Prayer of Habakkuk (Habakkuk 3.2-4,13a,15-19)

O Lord, I have heard of your renown,
and I stand in awe, O Lord, of your work.
In the midst of the years renew it;
in the midst of the years make it known;
in wrath remember mercy.
God came from Teman, and the Holy One from Mount Paran.
His glory covered the heavens, and the earth was full of his praise.
His brightness was like the sun,
rays flashed from his hand; there he veiled his power.
You came forth to save your people,
to save your anointed.
You trampled the sea with your horses,
churning the mighty waters.
I hear, and my belly trembles,
my lips quiver at the sound;
Rottenness enters into my bones,
and my steps totter beneath me.
I will quietly wait for the day of trouble
to come upon the people that invade us.
Though the fig tree does not blossom,
nor fruit appear on the vines,
the produce of the olive fail, and the fields yield no food,
Though the flock be cut off from the fold
and there be no herd in the stalls,
Yet will I rejoice in the Lord,
I will exult in the God of my salvation.
God, the Lord, is my strength;
he makes my feet like hinds' feet,
and makes me tread upon the high places.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Nehemiah 4:6-end]:

The report of Nehemiah son of Hacaliah: So we rebuilt the wall, and all the wall was
joined together to half its height; for the people had a mind to work.
But when Sanballat and Tobiah and the Arabs and the Ammonites and the Ashdodites
heard that the repairing of the walls of Jerusalem was going forward and the gaps were
beginning to be closed, they were very angry, and all plotted together to come and
fight against Jerusalem and to cause confusion in it. So we prayed to our God, and set
a guard as a protection against them day and night.
But Judah said, 'The strength of the burden-bearers is failing, and there is too much
rubbish, so that we are unable to work on the wall.' And our enemies said, 'They will
not know or see anything before we come upon them and kill them and stop the
work.' When the Jews who lived near them came, they said to us ten times, 'From all
the places where they live they will come up against us.' So in the lowest parts of the
space behind the wall, in open places, I stationed the people according to their
families, with their swords, their spears, and their bows. After I looked these things
over, I stood up and said to the nobles and the officials and the rest of the people, 'Do
not be afraid of them. Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome, and fight for
your kin, your sons, your daughters, your wives, and your homes.'
When our enemies heard that their plot was known to us, and that God had frustrated
it, we all returned to the wall, each to his work. From that day on, half of my servants
worked on construction, and half held the spears, shields, bows, and body-armour; and
the leaders posted themselves behind the whole house of Judah, who were building the
wall. The burden-bearers carried their loads in such a way that each laboured on the
work with one hand and with the other held a weapon. And each of the builders had
his sword strapped at his side while he built. The man who sounded the trumpet was
beside me. And I said to the nobles, the officials, and the rest of the people, 'The work
is great and widely spread out, and we are separated far from one another on the wall.
Rally to us wherever you hear the sound of the trumpet. Our God will fight for
us.'
So we laboured at the work, and half of them held the spears from break of dawn until
the stars came out. I also said to the people at that time, 'Let every man and his
servant pass the night inside Jerusalem, so that they may be a guard for us by night and
may labour by day.' So neither I nor my brothers nor my servants nor the men of the
guard who followed me ever took off our clothes; each kept his weapon in his right
hand.

HYMN
Words:
Tune:

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t698.html

SECOND READING [Acts 13:26-43]:

Paul said, 'My brothers, you descendants of Abraham's family, and others who fear
God, to us the message of this salvation has been sent. Because the residents of
Jerusalem and their leaders did not recognize him or understand the words of the
prophets that are read every sabbath, they fulfilled those words by condemning him.
Even though they found no cause for a sentence of death, they asked Pilate to have
him killed. When they had carried out everything that was written about him, they
took him down from the tree and laid him in a tomb. But God raised him from the
dead; and for many days he appeared to those who came up with him from Galilee to
Jerusalem, and they are now his witnesses to the people. And we bring you the good
news that what God promised to our ancestors he has fulfilled for us, their children, by
raising Jesus; as also it is written in the second psalm,
"You are my Son;
   today I have begotten you."
As to his raising him from the dead, no more to return to corruption, he has spoken in
this way,
"I will give you the holy promises made to David."
Therefore he has also said in another psalm,
"You will not let your Holy One experience corruption."
For David, after he had served the purpose of God in his own generation, died, was
laid beside his ancestors, and experienced corruption; but he whom God raised up
experienced no corruption. Let it be known to you therefore, my brothers, that
through this man forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you; by this Jesus everyone who
believes is set free from all those sins from which you could not be freed by the law of
Moses. Beware, therefore, that what the prophets said does not happen to you:
"Look, you scoffers!
   Be amazed and perish,
for in your days I am doing a work,
   a work that you will never believe, even if someone tells you." '

 As Paul and Barnabas were going out, the people urged them to speak about these
things again the next sabbath. When the meeting of the synagogue broke up, many
Jews and devout converts to Judaism followed Paul and Barnabas, who spoke to them
and urged them to continue in the grace of God.

Loving God, in Jesus Christ you teach us to pray:

Guide us by your Holy Spirit
that our prayers for others may serve your will
and show your steadfast love for all.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

Gracious God,
you have called together a people
to be the Church of Jesus Christ,
founded on the apostles.
May your people be one in faith and discipleship,
breaking bread together and telling good news.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

May the world come to believe that you are love,
turn to your ways and live in the light of your truth.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

You made all things and called them good.
May your planet earth be held in reverence by all people,
that its resources may be used wisely
and its fragile balance between life and death respected.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

Hear our prayers for those who rule the nations,
that they may learn wisdom and truth,
establish justice and mercy
and seek the ways of peace.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

God of power and might,
you bring your people out of darkness and slavery
into light and freedom through the waters of salvation.
Receive our sacrifice of praise and thanksgiving,
and keep us always in your steadfast love;

May we feast at your abundant table, O Lord,
and drink from the river of your delights. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing sentence are adapted from Psalm 36.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com