OREMUS: 6 June 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Jun 5 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Friday, June 6, 2008
The Divine Compassion of Our Lord Jesus Christ
(The Sacred Heart of Jesus)

Blessed are you, almighty and eternal God,
for the gift of your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.
He gave himself for us in wondrous love
and was lifted up on the cross
that the riches of your grace might be revealed in him.
For this we give you thanks and praise,

Psalm 36:5-10 [CCP]

Your love, O Lord, reaches to the heavens,*
 and your faithfulness to the clouds.
Your righteousness is like the strong mountains,
   your justice like the great deep;*
 you save both human and beast, O Lord.
How priceless is your love, O God!*
 your people take refuge under the shadow of your wings.
They feast upon the abundance of your house;*
 you give them drink from the river of your delights.
For with you is the well of life,*
 and in your light we see light.
Continue your loving-kindness to those who know you,*
 and your favour to those who are true of heart.

Psalm 61

Hear my cry, O God,*
 and listen to my prayer.
I call upon you from the ends of the earth
   with heaviness in my heart;*
 set me upon the rock that is higher than I.
For you have been my refuge,*
 a strong tower against the enemy.
I will dwell in your house for ever;*
 I will take refuge under the cover of your wings.
For you, O God, have heard my vows;*
 you have granted me the heritage
   of those who fear your name.
Add length of days to the king's life;*
 let his years extend over many generations.
Let him sit enthroned before God for ever;*
 bid love and faithfulness watch over him.
So will I always sing the praise of your name,*
 and day by day I will fulfil my vows.

Psalm 130

Out of the depths have I called to you, O Lord;
   Lord, hear my voice;*
 let your ears consider well the voice of my supplication.
If you, Lord, were to note what is done amiss,*
 O Lord, who could stand?
For there is forgiveness with you;*
 therefore you shall be feared.
I wait for the Lord; my soul waits for him;*
 in his word is my hope.
My soul waits for the Lord,
   more than the night-watch for the morning,*
 more than the night-watch for the morning.
O Israel, wait for the Lord,*
 for with the Lord there is mercy;
With him there is plenteous redemption,*
 and he shall redeem Israel from all their sins.

Salvator Mundi (Henry Allon)

Jesus, Saviour of the world,
come to us in your mercy:
we look to you to save and help us.

By your cross and your life laid down,
you set your people free:
we look to you to save and help us.

When they were ready to perish, you saved your disciples:
we look to you to come to our help.

In the greatness of your mercy, loose us from our chains,
forgive the sins of all your people.

Make yourself known as our saviour and mighty deliverer;
save and help us that we may praise you.

Come now and dwell with us, Lord Christ Jesus:
hear our prayer and be with us always.

And when you come in your glory:
make us to be one with you
and to share the life of your kingdom.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [Nehemiah 2:9-end]:

The words of Nehemiah son of Hacaliah.Then I came to the governors of the province
Beyond the River, and gave them the king's letters. Now the king had sent officers of
the army and cavalry with me. When Sanballat the Horonite and Tobiah the Ammonite
official heard this, it displeased them greatly that someone had come to seek the
welfare of the people of Israel.
So I came to Jerusalem and was there for three days. Then I got up during the night, I
and a few men with me; I told no one what my God had put into my heart to do for
Jerusalem. The only animal I took was the animal I rode. I went out by night by the
Valley Gate past the Dragon's Spring and to the Dung Gate, and I inspected the walls
of Jerusalem that had been broken down and its gates that had been destroyed by fire.
Then I went on to the Fountain Gate and to the King's Pool; but there was no place
for the animal I was riding to continue. So I went up by way of the valley by night and
inspected the wall. Then I turned back and entered by the Valley Gate, and so
returned. The officials did not know where I had gone or what I was doing; I had not
yet told the Jews, the priests, the nobles, the officials, and the rest that were to do the
work.
Then I said to them, 'You see the trouble we are in, how Jerusalem lies in ruins with
its gates burnt. Come, let us rebuild the wall of Jerusalem, so that we may no longer
suffer disgrace.' I told them that the hand of my God had been gracious upon me, and
also the words that the king had spoken to me. Then they said, 'Let us start building!'
So they committed themselves to the common good. But when Sanballat the Horonite
and Tobiah the Ammonite official, and Geshem the Arab heard of it, they mocked and
ridiculed us, saying, 'What is this that you are doing? Are you rebelling against the
king?' Then I replied to them, 'The God of heaven is the one who will give us success,
and we his servants are going to start building; but you have no share or claim or
historic right in Jerusalem.'

HYMN
Words: Quicumque certum quaeritis, Aurelius Clemens Prudentius (348-c.410) translated by
Edward Caswall (1814-1878)
Tune: Saint Bernard

All ye who seek a comfort sure
in trouble and distress,
whatever sorrow vex the mind,
or guilt the soul oppress:

Jesus, who gave himself for you
upon the cross to die,
opens to you his sacred heart;
O, to that heart draw nigh.

Ye hear how kindly he invites;
ye hear his words so blest:
'All ye that labour, come to me,
and I will give you rest.'

What meeker than the Saviour's heart?
As on the cross he lay,
it did his murderers forgive,
and for their pardon pray.

O heart, thou joy of saints on high,
thou hope of sinners here,
attracted by those loving words
to thee I lift my prayer.

Wash thou my wounds in that dear blood
which forth from thee doth flow;
new grace, new hope inspire, a new
and better heart bestow.

SECOND READING [Acts 13:13-25]:

Paul and his companions set sail from Paphos and came to Perga in Pamphylia. John,
however, left them and returned to Jerusalem; but they went on from Perga and came to
Antioch in Pisidia. And on the sabbath day they went into the synagogue and sat down.
After the reading of the law and the prophets, the officials of the synagogue sent them a
message, saying, 'Brothers, if you have any word of exhortation for the people, give it.'
So Paul stood up and with a gesture began to speak:
'You Israelites, and others who fear God, listen. The God of this people Israel chose our
ancestors and made the people great during their stay in the land of Egypt, and with
uplifted arm he led them out of it. For about forty years he put up with them in the
wilderness. After he had destroyed seven nations in the land of Canaan, he gave them
their land as an inheritance for about four hundred and fifty years. After that he gave
them judges until the time of the prophet Samuel. Then they asked for a king; and God
gave them Saul son of Kish, a man of the tribe of Benjamin, who reigned for forty years.
When he had removed him, he made David their king. In his testimony about him he
said, "I have found David, son of Jesse, to be a man after my heart, who will carry out
all my wishes." Of this man's posterity God has brought to Israel a Saviour, Jesus, as he
promised; before his coming John had already proclaimed a baptism of repentance to all
the people of Israel. And as John was finishing his work, he said, "What do you suppose
that I am? I am not he. No, but one is coming after me; I am not worthy to untie the
thong of the sandals on his feet."

Lord, have mercy
Christ, have mercy
Lord, have mercy
Christ, hear us
Christ, graciously hear us.

God the Father of Heaven,
have mercy on us.
God the Son, Redeemer of the world,
have mercy on us.
God, the Holy Spirit,
have mercy on us.
Holy Trinity, One God,
have mercy on us.
Heart of Jesus, Son of the Eternal Father,
have mercy on us.
Heart of Jesus, formed by the Holy Spirit in the womb of the Virgin Mother,
have mercy on us.
Heart of Jesus, substantially united to the Word of God,
have mercy on us.
Heart of Jesus, of Infinite Majesty,
have mercy on us.
Heart of Jesus, Sacred Temple of God,
have mercy on us.
Heart of Jesus, Tabernacle of the Most High,
have mercy on us.
Heart of Jesus, House of God and Gate of Heaven,
have mercy on us.
Heart of Jesus, burning furnace of charity,
have mercy on us.
Heart of Jesus, abode of justice and love,
have mercy on us.
Heart of Jesus, full of goodness and love,
have mercy on us.
Heart of Jesus, abyss of all virtues,
have mercy on us.
Heart of Jesus, most worthy of all praise,
have mercy on us.
Heart of Jesus, king and center of all hearts,
have mercy on us.
Heart of Jesus, in whom are all treasures of wisdom and knowledge,
have mercy on us.
Heart of Jesus, in whom dwells the fullness of divinity,
have mercy on us.
Heart of Jesus, in whom the Father was well pleased,
have mercy on us.
Heart of Jesus, of whose fullness we have all received,
have mercy on us.
Heart of Jesus, desire of the everlasting hills,
have mercy on us.
Heart of Jesus, patient and most merciful,
have mercy on us.
Heart of Jesus, enriching all who invoke Thee,
have mercy on us.
Heart of Jesus, fountain of life and holiness,
have mercy on us.
Heart of Jesus, propitiation for our sins,
have mercy on us.
Heart of Jesus, loaded down with opprobrium,
have mercy on us.
Heart of Jesus, bruised for our offenses,
have mercy on us.
Heart of Jesus, obedient to death,
have mercy on us.
Heart of Jesus, pierced with a lance,
have mercy on us.
Heart of Jesus, source of all consolation,
have mercy on us.
Heart of Jesus, our life and resurrection,
have mercy on us.
Heart of Jesus, our peace and our reconciliation,
have mercy on us.
Heart of Jesus, victim for our sins
have mercy on us.
Heart of Jesus, salvation of those who trust in thee,
have mercy on us.
Heart of Jesus, hope of those who die in thee,
have mercy on us.
Heart of Jesus, delight of all the Saints,
have mercy on us.

O God,
whose steadfast love never ceases
and whose compassion never fails:
come with the dawning of the new day
and reveal your power in our lives,
that your glory may be exalted in all the earth;

Compassionate God,
grant that our experience of your pardon
may increase our love
until it reflects your own immeasurable forgiveness;

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Stephen T. Benner and is based on
phrases in a prayer from _We Give You Thanks and Praise: The
Ambrosian Eucharistic Prefaces_, translated by Alan Griffiths, (c)
The Canterbury Press Norwich, 1999; and other phrases in _Celebrating

The closing prayer is adapted from a prayer in _Opening Prayers: Collects
in Contemporary Language_. Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.