OREMUS: 2 June 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Jun 1 17:00:00 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Monday, June 2, 2008

Blessed are you, O Lord,
your love reaches to the heavens,
and your faithfulness to the clouds.
Your righteousness is like teh strong mountains,
your justice like the great deep;
you save your entire creation, O Lord,
in your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

As the deer longs for the water-brooks,*
 so longs my soul for you, O God.
My soul is athirst for God, athirst for the living God;*
 when shall I come to appear before the presence of God?
My tears have been my food day and night,*
 while all day long they say to me,
   'Where now is your God?'
I pour out my soul when I think on these things:*
 how I went with the multitude
   and led them into the house of God,
With the voice of praise and thanksgiving,*
 among those who keep holy-day.
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.
My soul is heavy within me;*
 therefore I will remember you from the land of Jordan,
   and from the peak of Mizar among the heights of Hermon.
One deep calls to another in the noise of your cataracts;*
 all your rapids and floods have gone over me.
The Lord grants his loving-kindness in the daytime;*
 in the night season his song is with me,
   a prayer to the God of my life.
I will say to the God of my strength,
   'Why have you forgotten me?*
 and why do I go so heavily
   while the enemy oppresses me?'
While my bones are being broken,*
 my enemies mock me to my face;
All day long they mock me*
 say to me, 'Where now is your God?'
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.

Psalm 43

Give judgement for me, O God,
   and defend my cause against an ungodly people;*
 deliver me from the deceitful and the wicked.
For you are the God of my strength;
   why have you put me from you?*
 and why do I go so heavily
   while the enemy oppresses me?
Send out your light and your truth,
   that they may lead me,*
 and bring me to your holy hill
   and to your dwelling;
That I may go to the altar of God,
   to the God of my joy and gladness;*
 and on the harp I will give thanks to you,
   O God my God.
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.

A Song of Faith (1 Peter 1.3-5,18,19,21)

Blessed be the God and Father
of our Lord Jesus Christ!
By his great mercy we have been born anew to a living hope
through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
Into an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled and unfading,
kept in heaven for you,
Who are being protected by the power of God through faith,
for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.
You were ransomed from the futile ways of your ancestors
not with perishable things like silver or gold
But with the precious blood of Christ
like that of a lamb without spot or stain.
Through him you have confidence in God,
who raised him from the dead and gave him glory,
so that your faith and hope are set on God.

FIRST READING [Ezra 7:1,6-16, 25-28]:

After this, in the reign of King Artaxerxes of Persia, Ezra son of Seraiah, son of
Azariah, son of Hilkiah, this Ezra went up from Babylonia. He was a scribe skilled in
the law of Moses that the Lord the God of Israel had given; and the king granted him
all that he asked, for the hand of the Lord his God was upon him.
Some of the people of Israel, and some of the priests and Levites, the singers and
gatekeepers, and the temple servants also went up to Jerusalem, in the seventh year of
King Artaxerxes. They came to Jerusalem in the fifth month, which was in the seventh
year of the king. On the first day of the first month the journey up from Babylon was
begun, and on the first day of the fifth month he came to Jerusalem, for the gracious
hand of his God was upon him. For Ezra had set his heart to study the law of the Lord,
and to do it, and to teach the statutes and ordinances in Israel.
This is a copy of the letter that King Artaxerxes gave to the priest Ezra, the scribe, a
scholar of the text of the commandments of the Lord and his statutes for Israel:
'Artaxerxes, king of kings, to the priest Ezra, the scribe of the law of the God of
heaven: Peace. And now I decree that any of the people of Israel or their priests or
Levites in my kingdom who freely offers to go to Jerusalem may go with you. For you
are sent by the king and his seven counsellors to make inquiries about Judah and
Jerusalem according to the law of your God, which is in your hand, and also to convey
the silver and gold that the king and his counsellors have freely offered to the God of
Israel, whose dwelling is in Jerusalem, with all the silver and gold that you shall find in
the whole province of Babylonia, and with the freewill-offerings of the people and the
priests, given willingly for the house of their God in Jerusalem.
'And you, Ezra, according to the God-given wisdom you possess, appoint magistrates
and judges who may judge all the people in the province Beyond the River who know
the laws of your God; and you shall teach those who do not know them. All who will
not obey the law of your God and the law of the king, let judgement be strictly
executed on them, whether for death or for banishment or for confiscation of their
goods or for imprisonment.'
Blessed be the Lord, the God of our ancestors, who put such a thing as this into the
heart of the king to glorify the house of the Lord in Jerusalem, and who extended to
me steadfast love before the king and his counsellors, and before all the king's mighty
officers. I took courage, for the hand of the Lord my God was upon me, and I
gathered leaders from Israel to go up with me.

HYMN
Words: Charles Wesley (1707-1788) based on Te Deum laudamus te Dominum confitemur
Tune: Pater omnium (88 88 88)

Infinite God, to you we raise
our hearts in solemn songs of praise;
by all your works on earth adored,
we worship you, the one true Lord;
the everlasting Father own
and bow our souls before your throne.

To you the choir of angels sings,
the Lord of hosts, the King of kings;
all heaven proclaims your praise aloud
and shouts your name, the triune God;
they 'Holy, holy, holy' cry,
'your glory fills the earth and sky!'

God of the ancient chosen race,
the scribes of old record your praise;
apostles, prophets, all proclaim
the wonders of your mighty name;
and all the saints in glory join
to sing your majesty divine.

Head of the white-robed martyrs' host,
of you they rightly make their boast;
the church, to earth's remotest bounds
her heavenly founder's praise resounds,
and with the creatures round the throne
they worship you, the Three-in-One.

Father of endless majesty,
who were and are and yet shall be,
your Son, our Saviour, we adore,
the same in dignity and power;
your Holy Spirit we declare
the saints' eternal comforter.

SECOND READING [Acts 11:1-18]:

Now the apostles and the believers who were in Judea heard that the Gentiles had also
accepted the word of God. So when Peter went up to Jerusalem, the circumcised
believers criticized him, saying, 'Why did you go to uncircumcised men and eat with
them?' Then Peter began to explain it to them, step by step, saying, 'I was in the city of
Joppa praying, and in a trance I saw a vision. There was something like a large sheet
coming down from heaven, being lowered by its four corners; and it came close to me.
As I looked at it closely I saw four-footed animals, beasts of prey, reptiles, and birds of
the air. I also heard a voice saying to me, "Get up, Peter; kill and eat." But I replied, "By
no means, Lord; for nothing profane or unclean has ever entered my mouth." But a
second time the voice answered from heaven, "What God has made clean, you must not
call profane." This happened three times; then everything was pulled up again to heaven.
At that very moment three men, sent to me from Caesarea, arrived at the house where
we were. The Spirit told me to go with them and not to make a distinction between
them and us. These six brothers also accompanied me, and we entered the man's house.
He told us how he had seen the angel standing in his house and saying, "Send to Joppa
and bring Simon, who is called Peter; he will give you a message by which you and your
entire household will be saved." And as I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell upon them
just as it had upon us at the beginning. And I remembered the word of the Lord, how he
had said, "John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit." If
then God gave them the same gift that he gave us when we believed in the Lord Jesus
Christ, who was I that I could hinder God?' When they heard this, they were silenced.
And they praised God, saying, 'Then God has given even to the Gentiles the repentance
that leads to life.'

Creator and Sustainer of life, God,
who ever calls us back
to his ways of justice and peace:
we thank you for the gift of the land,
for its beauty, and its resources,
and the rich heritage we enjoy.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

And so we pray:
for those who make decisions about our land and its resources;
for those who work on the land and sea,
in our cities, and in commerce and industry;
for artists, scientists, politicians, and visionaries.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

We thank you for giving us life, and for giving us our life together.
We pray for all who through their own or others' actions
are deprived of fullness of life;
for all who know sickness, disability, and an untimely death;
for all who devote their lives to ministering to the needs of others.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

Give us reverence for life in this, your created world.
May we reflect the goodness of your creation
in the society we create with and for one another.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

God our creator and redeemer,
inspire your people, in prosperity or adversity,
to turn always to you,
eternal Source of life, health, and goodness;

May we feast at your abundant table, O Lord,
and drink from the river of your delights. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing sentence are adapted from Psalm 36.

The intercession is by David Bromell.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com