OREMUS: 27 July 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Jul 26 17:00:00 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Sunday, July 27, 2008
The Eleventh Sunday after Pentecost

you are our greatest treasure
and the source of our greatest joy:
Your Spirit continues to form us in the likeness of Christ,
that we may know the freedom of your children
and the assurance that nothing in creation
can separate us from your love,
most fully known in Jesus Christ our Lord.

Lord, who may dwell in your tabernacle?*
 who may abide upon your holy hill?
Whoever leads a blameless life and does what is right,*
 who speaks the truth from his heart.
There is no guile upon his tongue;
   he does no evil to his friend;*
 he does not heap contempt upon his neighbour.
In his sight the wicked is rejected,*
 but he honours those who fear the Lord.
He has sworn to do no wrong*
 and does not take back his word.
He does not give his money in hope of gain,*
 nor does he take a bribe against the innocent.
Whoever does these things*
 shall never be overthrown.

Psalm 46

God is our refuge and strength,*
 a very present help in trouble;
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth be moved,*
 and though the mountains be toppled
   into the depths of the sea;
Though its waters rage and foam,*
 and though the mountains tremble at its tumult.
The Lord of hosts is with us;*
 the God of Jacob is our stronghold.
There is a river whose streams
   make glad the city of God,*
 the holy habitation of the Most High.
God is in the midst of her;
   she shall not be overthrown;*
 God shall help her at the break of day.
The nations make much ado
   and the kingdoms are shaken;*
 God has spoken and the earth shall melt away.
The Lord of hosts is with us;*
 the God of Jacob is our stronghold.
Come now and look upon the works of the Lord,*
 what awesome things he has done on earth.
It is he who makes war to cease in all the world;*
 he breaks the bow and shatters the spear
   and burns the shields with fire.
'Be still, then, and know that I am God;*
 I will be exalted among the nations;
   I will be exalted in the earth.'
The Lord of hosts is with us;*
 the God of Jacob is our stronghold.

A Song of the New Creation (Isaiah 43.15,16,18,19,20c,21)

'I am the Lord, your Holy One,
the Creator of Israel, your King.'
Thus says the Lord, who makes a way in the sea,
a path in the mighty waters,
'Remember not the former things,
nor consider the things of old.
'Behold, I am doing a new thing;
now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?
'I will make a way in the wilderness
and rivers in the desert,
to give drink to my chosen people,
'The people whom I formed for myself,
that they might declare my praise.'

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Isaiah 44:1-8,21-23]:

But now hear, O Jacob my servant,
   Israel whom I have chosen!
Thus says the Lord who made you,
   who formed you in the womb and will help you:
Do not fear, O Jacob my servant,
   Jeshurun whom I have chosen.
For I will pour water on the thirsty land,
   and streams on the dry ground;
I will pour my spirit upon your descendants,
   and my blessing on your offspring.
They shall spring up like a green tamarisk,
   like willows by flowing streams.
This one will say, 'I am the Lord's',
   another will be called by the name of Jacob,
yet another will write on the hand, 'The Lord's',
   and adopt the name of Israel.

Thus says the Lord, the King of Israel
   and his Redeemer, the Lord of hosts:
I am the first and I am the last;
   besides me there is no god.
Who is like me? Let them proclaim it,
   let them declare and set it forth before me.
Who has announced from of old the things to come?
   Let them tell us what is yet to be.
Do not fear, or be afraid;
   have I not told you from of old and declared it?
   You are my witnesses!
Is there any god besides me?
   There is no other rock; I know not one.

Remember these things, O Jacob,
   and Israel, for you are my servant;
I formed you, you are my servant;
   O Israel, you will not be forgotten by me.
I have swept away your transgressions like a cloud,
   and your sins like mist;
return to me, for I have redeemed you.

Sing, O heavens, for the Lord has done it;
   shout, O depths of the earth;
break forth into singing, O mountains,
   O forest, and every tree in it!
For the Lord has redeemed Jacob,
   and will be glorified in Israel.

HYMN
Words: Edward Denny, 1842
Music: Dunfermline

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l144.html

Light of the lonely pilgrim's heart,
Star of the coming day,
arise, and with thy morning beams
chase all our griefs away.

Come, blessŠd Lord, bid every shore
and answering island sing
the praises of thy royal Name,
and own thee as their King.

Bid the whole earth, responsive now
to the bright world above,
break forth in rapturous strains of joy
in memory of thy love.

Lord, Lord, thy fair creation groans,
the air, the earth, the sea,
in unison with all our hearts,
and calls aloud for thee.

Come, then, with all thy quickening power
with one awakening smile,
and bid the serpent's trail no more
thy beauteous realms defile.

Thine was the cross, with all its fruits,
of grace and peace divine;
be thine the crown of glory now,
the palm of victory thine.

SECOND READING [Romans 12:1-9]:

I appeal to you therefore, brothers and sisters, by the mercies of God, to present your
bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual
worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of
your minds, so that you may discern what is the will of God what is good and
acceptable and perfect.
For by the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think of yourself
more highly than you ought to think, but to think with sober judgement, each
according to the measure of faith that God has assigned. For as in one body we have
many members, and not all the members have the same function, so we, who are many,
are one body in Christ, and individually we are members one of another. We have gifts
that differ according to the grace given to us: prophecy, in proportion to faith;
ministry, in ministering; the teacher, in teaching; the exhorter, in exhortation; the giver,
in generosity; the leader, in diligence; the compassionate, in cheerfulness. Let love be
genuine; hate what is evil, hold fast to what is good

Let us pray to God our Father, who has called us to be true images of his Son.

We pray for the unity of Christians, remembering especially the bishops of the
Anglican Communion as they meet at Canterbury: may all Christian people work and
pray together to proclaim the Gospel and build up God's kingdom of justice, love and
peace.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.
We pray for those throughout the world who live in poverty, and especially for the
people of East Africa facing drought and famine, and for the aid agencies seeking to
bring them relief: may they be given the resources that they need to live and to thrive.

Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.
We pray for the people of Zimbabwe, and for the continuing negotiations over the
future of their country: may their land know justice, peace and freedom from
oppression.

Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.
We pray for the peoples of the Middle East, and for all who are seeking to bring peace
in that region: may those who are divided by race, religion or nationality be brought
together in reconciliation.

Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.
We pray for the people of Serbia: that they may see true justice done for all their
peoples, and experience the healing of the wounds of the past.

Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.
Heavenly Father, you offer to all who seek you the priceless treasure of your kingdom.
We ask you to hear our prayers, which we make through your Son, Jesus Christ our
Lord. Amen.

O God, the fount of wisdom,
you have revealed to us in Christ
the hidden treasure and the pearl of great price:
Grant us your Spirit's gift of discernment,
that, in the midst of the things of this world,
we may learn to value the priceless worth of your kingdom,
and be ready to renounce all else
for the sake of the precious gift you offer.
We ask this through Jesus Christ our Lord,
one God, now and forever. Amen.

May we instructed by your heavenly law, O Lord,
that we may embrace the example of your Son
and show it forth in deeds and works of love. Amen.

The opening prayer and closing sentence are adapted from prayers by Alan Griffiths..

The collect is from _A Prayer Book for Australia_. (c) 1995, The Anglican
Church of Australia Trust Corporation.

The petitions are gathered by Redemptorist Publications and are published each Friday on
their website: http://www.rpbooks.co.uk/page.php?page=prayers