OREMUS: 23 July 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Jul 22 17:00:00 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Wednesday, July 23, 2008

the source and end of all things:
in the resurrection of Christ
you reveal the first fruits of the Spirit,
the pledge of things to come.

The heavens declare the glory of God,*
 and the firmament shows his handiwork.
One day tells its tale to another,*
 and one night imparts knowledge to another.
Although they have no words or language,*
 and their voices are not heard,
Their sound has gone out into all lands,*
 and their message to the ends of the world.
In the deep has he set a pavilion for the sun;*
 it comes forth like a bridegroom out of his chamber;
   it rejoices like a champion to run its course.
It goes forth from the uttermost edge of the heavens
   and runs about to the end of it again;*
 nothing is hidden from its burning heat.
The law of the Lord is perfect
   and revives the soul;*
 the testimony of the Lord is sure
   and gives wisdom to the innocent.
The statutes of the Lord are just
   and rejoice the heart;*
 the commandment of the Lord is clear
   and gives light to the eyes.
The fear of the Lord is clean
   and endures for ever;*
 the judgements of the Lord are true
   and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold,
   more than much fine gold,*
 sweeter far than honey,
   than honey in the comb.
By them also is your servant enlightened,*
 and in keeping them there is great reward.
Who can tell how often he offends?*
 Cleanse me from my secret faults.
Above all, keep your servant from presumptuous sins;
   let them not get dominion over me;*
 then shall I be whole and sound,
   and innocent of a great offence.
Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
   be acceptable in your sight,*
 O Lord, my strength and my redeemer.

Psalm 23

The Lord is my shepherd;*
 I shall not be in want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures*
 and leads me beside still waters.
He revives my soul*
 and guides me along right pathways for his name's sake.
Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
   I shall fear no evil;*
 for you are with me;
   your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
You spread a table before me
   in the presence of those who trouble me;*
 you have anointed my head with oil,
   and my cup is running over.
Surely your goodness and mercy shall follow me
   all the days of my life,*
 and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

A Song of the Word of the Lord (Isaiah 55.6-11)

Seek the Lord while he may be found,
call upon him while he is near;
Let the wicked abandon their ways,
and the unrighteous their thoughts;
Return to the Lord, who will have mercy;
to our God, who will richly pardon.
'For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,' says the Lord.
'For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.
'As the rain and the snow come down from above,
and return not again but water the earth,
'Bringing forth life and giving growth,
seed for sowing and bread to eat,
'So is my word that goes forth from my mouth;
it will not return to me fruitless,
'But it will accomplish that which I purpose,
and succeed in the task I gave it.'

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [Esther 6]:

That night the king could not sleep, and he gave orders to bring the book of records,
the annals, and they were read to the king. It was found written how Mordecai had
told about Bigthana and Teresh, two of the king's eunuchs, who guarded the
threshold, and who had conspired to assassinate King Ahasuerus. Then the king said,
'What honour or distinction has been bestowed on Mordecai for this?' The king's
servants who attended him said, 'Nothing has been done for him.' The king said, 'Who
is in the court?' Now Haman had just entered the outer court of the king's palace to
speak to the king about having Mordecai hanged on the gallows that he had prepared
for him. So the king's servants told him, 'Haman is there, standing in the court.' The
king said, 'Let him come in.' So Haman came in, and the king said to him, 'What shall
be done for the man whom the king wishes to honour?' Haman said to himself, 'Whom
would the king wish to honour more than me?' So Haman said to the king, 'For the
man whom the king wishes to honour, let royal robes be brought, which the king has
worn, and a horse that the king has ridden, with a royal crown on its head. Let the
robes and the horse be handed over to one of the king's most noble officials; let him
robe the man whom the king wishes to honour, and let him conduct the man on
horseback through the open square of the city, proclaiming before him: "Thus shall it
be done for the man whom the king wishes to honour." ' Then the king said to Haman,
'Quickly, take the robes and the horse, as you have said, and do so to the Jew
Mordecai who sits at the king's gate. Leave out nothing that you have mentioned.' So
Haman took the robes and the horse and robed Mordecai and led him riding through
the open square of the city, proclaiming, 'Thus shall it be done for the man whom the
king wishes to honour.'
Then Mordecai returned to the king's gate, but Haman hurried to his house, mourning
and with his head covered. When Haman told his wife Zeresh and all his friends
everything that had happened to him, his advisers and his wife Zeresh said to him, 'If
Mordecai, before whom your downfall has begun, is of the Jewish people, you will not
prevail against him, but will surely fall before him.'
While they were still talking with him, the king's eunuchs arrived and hurried Haman
off to the banquet that Esther had prepared.

HYMN
Words: Henry Alford, 1844
Music: St. George's Windsor

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/c/c349.html

Come, ye thankful people, come,
raise the song of harvest home;
all is safely gathered in,
ere the winter storms begin.
God our Maker doth provide
for our wants to be supplied;
come to God's own temple, come,
raise the song of harvest home.

All the world is God's own field,
fruit as praise to God we yield;
wheat and tares together sown
are to joy or sorrow grown.
First the blade and then the ear,
then the full corn shall appear;
Lord of harvest, grant that we
wholesome grain and pure may be.

For the Lord our God shall come,
and shall take the harvest home;
from the field shall in that day
all offenses purge away,
give his angels charge at last
in the fire the tares to cast;
but the fruitful ears to store
in the garner evermore.

Even so, Lord, quickly come,
to thy final harvest home;
gather thou thy people in,
free from sorrow, free from sin,
there, forever purified,
in thy presence to abide;
come, with all thine angels come,
raise the glorious harvest home.

SECOND READING [Romans 2:17-end]:

But if you call yourself a Jew and rely on the law and boast of your relation to God
and know his will and determine what is best because you are instructed in the law,
and if you are sure that you are a guide to the blind, a light to those who are in
darkness, a corrector of the foolish, a teacher of children, having in the law the
embodiment of knowledge and truth, you, then, that teach others, will you not teach
yourself? While you preach against stealing, do you steal? You that forbid adultery, do
you commit adultery? You that abhor idols, do you rob temples? You that boast in the
law, do you dishonour God by breaking the law? For, as it is written, 'The name of
God is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you.'
Circumcision indeed is of value if you obey the law; but if you break the law, your
circumcision has become uncircumcision. So, if those who are uncircumcised keep the
requirements of the law, will not their uncircumcision be regarded as circumcision?
Then those who are physically uncircumcised but keep the law will condemn you that
have the written code and circumcision but break the law. For a person is not a Jew
who is one outwardly, nor is true circumcision something external and physical.
Rather, a person is a Jew who is one inwardly, and real circumcision is a matter of the
heart it is spiritual and not literal. Such a person receives praise not from others but
from God.

God of all mercies, we praise you that you have brought
us to this day, brightening our lives with the dawn
of promise and hope in Jesus Christ. Especially we thank
you for
     the warmth of sunlight, the wetness of rain and
     snow, and all that nourishes the earth...
                           (We thank you, Lord.)
     the presence and power of your Spirit...
     the support and encouragement we receive from others...
     those who provide for public safety and well-being...
     the mission of the church around the world...

Merciful God, strengthen us in prayer that we may lift up
the brokenness of this world for your healing, and share
the saving love of Jesus Christ. Especially we pray for
     those in positions of authority over others...
                           (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     the lonely and forgotten...
     children without family or homes...
     agents of caring and relief...
     the church in Asia and the Middle East...

Gracious Creator of heaven and earth,
your Word has come among us
as the true Sun of Righteousness,
and the Good News of his birth
has gone out to the ends of the world:
Open our eyes to the light of your law,
that we may be freed from sin
and serve you without reproach
for the sake of Jesus Christ, our Light and our Life. Amen.

Enrich us abundantly with your grace, O Lord,
that, firm in faith, secure in hope, and constant in love,
we may keep your commandments with watchful care. Amen.

The opening prayer and closing sentence are adapted from prayers by Alan Griffiths..

The intercession is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993
Westminster / John Knox Press.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com