OREMUS: 22 July 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Jul 21 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Tuesday, July 22, 2008
Saint Mary Magdalene

Blessed are you, gentle and tender God,
for your saint Mary Magdalen,
whom you gave the courage to love
and follow your Son to the cross.
Seeking her Teacher after his death,
so great was her longing
that you made her the first
to behold him, risen from the dead,
and the first to announce
that the Lord had risen to new and glorious life.
For this example of faith and hope,
we praise you, Father, Son and Holy Spirit:

Bow down your ear, O Lord, and answer me,*
 for I am poor and in misery.
Keep watch over my life, for I am faithful;*
 save your servant who trusts in you.
Be merciful to me, O Lord, for you are my God;*
 I call upon you all the day long.
Gladden the soul of your servant,*
 for to you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
For you, O Lord, are good and forgiving,*
 and great is your love towards all who call upon you.
Give ear, O Lord, to my prayer,*
 and attend to the voice of my supplications.
In the time of my trouble I will call upon you,*
 for you will answer me.
Among the gods there is none like you, O Lord,*
 nor anything like your works.
All nations you have made
   will come and worship you, O Lord,*
 and glorify your name.
For you are great; you do wondrous things;*
 and you alone are God.
Teach me your way, O Lord,
   and I will walk in your truth;*
 knit my heart to you that I may fear your name.
I will thank you, O Lord my God, with all my heart,*
 and glorify your name for evermore.
For great is your love towards me;*
 you have delivered me from the nethermost Pit.
The arrogant rise up against me, O God,
   and a violent band seeks my life;*
 they have not set you before their eyes.
But you, O Lord, are gracious and full of compassion,*
 slow to anger and full of kindness and truth.
Turn to me and have mercy upon me;*
 give your strength to your servant;
   and save the child of your handmaid.
Show me a sign of your favour,
   so that those who hate me may see it and be ashamed;*
 because you, O Lord, have helped me and comforted me.

A Song of God's Love (1 John 4:7-11,12b)
Beloved, let us love one another,
for love is of God;
everyone who loves is born of God and knows God.

Whoever does not love does not know God,
for God is love.

In this the love of God was revealed among us,
that God sent his only Son into the world,
so that we might live through him.

In this is love,
not that we loved God but that he loved us,
and sent his Son to be the expiation for our sins.

Beloved, since God loved us so much,
we ought also to love one another.

For if we love one another, God abides in us,
and God's love will be perfected in us.

FIRST READING [Song of Solomon 3:1-4]:

Upon my bed at night
   I sought him whom my soul loves;
I sought him, but found him not;
   I called him, but he gave no answer.
'I will rise now and go about the city,
   in the streets and in the squares;
I will seek him whom my soul loves.'
   I sought him, but found him not.
The sentinels found me,
   as they went about in the city.
'Have you seen him whom my soul loves?'
Scarcely had I passed them,
   when I found him whom my soul loves.
I held him, and would not let him go
   until I brought him into my mother's house,
   and into the chamber of her that conceived me.

HYMN
Words: Latin; trans. Elizabeth Rundle Charles (1828-1896), alt.
Tune: W zlobie lezy

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l136.html

Lift your voice rejoicing, Mary,
Christ has risen from the tomb;
on the cross a suffering victim,
now as victor he is come.
Whom your tears in death were mourning,
welcome with your smiles returning.
Let your alleluias rise!

Raise your weary eyelids, Mary,
see him living evermore;
see his countenance how gracious,
see the wounds for you he bore.
All the glory of the morning
pales before those wounds redeeming.
Let your alleluias rise!

Life is yours for ever, Mary,
for your light is come once more
and the strength of death is broken;
now your songs of joy outpour.
Ended now the night of sorrow,
love has brought the blessed morrow.
Let your alleluias rise.

SECOND READING [John 20:1-2,11-18]:

Early on the first day of the week, while it was still
dark, Mary Magdalene came to the tomb and saw that the
stone had been removed from the tomb. So she ran and went
to Simon Peter and the other disciple, the one whom Jesus
loved, and said to them, 'They have taken the Lord out of
the tomb, and we do not know where they have laid
him.'
But Mary stood weeping outside the tomb. As she wept, she
bent over to look into the tomb; and she saw two angels
in white, sitting where the body of Jesus had been lying,
one at the head and the other at the feet. They said to
her, 'Woman, why are you weeping?' She said to them,
'They have taken away my Lord, and I do not know where
they have laid him.' When she had said this, she turned
round and saw Jesus standing there, but she did not know
that it was Jesus. Jesus said to her, 'Woman, why are you
weeping? For whom are you looking?' Supposing him to be
the gardener, she said to him, 'Sir, if you have carried
him away, tell me where you have laid him, and I will
take him away.' Jesus said to her, 'Mary!' She turned and
said to him in Hebrew, 'Rabbouni!' (which means Teacher).
Jesus said to her, 'Do not hold on to me, because I have
not yet ascended to the Father. But go to my brothers and
say to them, "I am ascending to my Father and your
Father, to my God and your God." ' Mary Magdalene went
and announced to the disciples, 'I have seen the Lord';
and she told them that he had said these things to her.

Almighty and merciful God, we give you thanks
that Mary Magdalene found healing in her encounter
with the risen Christ.

Give wholeness and peace to all those in need: the sick,
the unloved and the forgotten, the poor and the hungry,
the dying and the bereaved.

Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

Grant us the persistent faith of Mary Magdalen
and the surprised belief of Peter and John:

Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

Guide all your baptized people who struggle to know
and to do your will in the kingdoms of this world,
that by their lives we may show forth the new life in
Christ to all nation.

Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

Send your grace on your Church, that it may live the great commission:
proclaiming the gospel in community, Eucharist, and servanthood ministry.

Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

Almighty God,
whose blessed Son restored Mary Magdalene
to health of body and of mind,
and called her to be a witness of his resurrection:
Mercifully grant that by your grace
we may be healed from all our infirmities
and know you in the power of his unending life;
who with you and the Holy Spirit lives and reigns,

Enrich us abundantly with your grace, O Lord,
that, firm in faith, secure in hope, and constant in love,
we may keep your commandments with watchful care. Amen.

Mary Magdalene is mentioned in the Gospels as being among the women of
Galilee who followed Jesus and His disciples, and who was present at His
Crucifixion and Burial, and who went to the tomb on Easter Sunday to annoint
His body. She was the first to see the Risen Lord, and to announce His
Resurrection to the apostles. Accordingly, she is referred to in early Christian
writings as "the apostle to the apostles."

Mary Magdalene, Mary of Bethany (sister of Martha and Lazarus), and the
unnamed penitent woman who annointed Jesus's feet (Luke 7:36-48) are
sometimes supposed to be the same woman. From this, plus the statement that
Jesus had cast seven demons out of her (Luke 8:2), has risen the tradition that
she had been a prostitute before she met Jesus.

Because of the assumption that Mary Magdalene had been a spectacular sinner,
and also perhaps because she is described as weeping at the tomb of Jesus on
the Resurrection morning, she is often portrayed in art as weeping, or with
eyes red from having wept. From this appearance we derive the English word
"maudlin", meaning "effusively or tearfully sentimental." There is a Magdalen
College at Oxford, and a Magdalene College at Cambridge (different spelling),
both pronounced "Maudlin." [James Kiefer]