OREMUS: 21 July 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Jul 20 17:00:00 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Monday, July 21, 2008

the source and end of all things:
in the resurrection of Christ
you reveal the first fruits of the Spirit,
the pledge of things to come.

Answer me when I call, O God, defender of my cause;*
 you set me free when I am hard-pressed;
   have mercy on me and hear my prayer.
'You mortals, how long will you dishonour my glory;*
 how long will you worship dumb idols
   and run after false gods?'
Know that the Lord does wonders for the faithful;*
 when I call upon the Lord, he will hear me.
Tremble, then, and do not sin;*
 speak to your heart in silence upon your bed.
Offer the appointed sacrifices*
 and put your trust in the Lord.
Many are saying,
'O that we might see better times!'*
 Lift up the light of your countenance upon us, O Lord.
You have put gladness in my heart,*
 more than when grain and wine and oil increase.
I lie down in peace; at once I fall asleep;*
 for only you, Lord, make me dwell in safety.

Psalm 8

O Lord our governor,*
 how exalted is your name in all the world!
Out of the mouths of infants and children*
 your majesty is praised above the heavens.
You have set up a stronghold against your adversaries,*
 to quell the enemy and the avenger.
When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers,*
 the moon and the stars you have set in their courses,
What are mortals, that you should be mindful of them?*
 mere human beings, that you should seek them out?
You have made them little lower than the angels;*
 you adorn them with glory and honour.
You give them mastery over the works of your hands;*
 and put all things under their feet,
All sheep and oxen,*
 even the wild beasts of the field,
The birds of the air, the fish of the sea,*
 and whatsoever walks in the paths of the sea.
O Lord our governor,*
 how exalted is your name in all the world!

A Song of Deliverance (Isaiah 12.2-6)

'Behold, God is my salvation;
I will trust and will not be afraid;
'For the Lord God is my strength and my song,
and has become my salvation.'
With joy you will draw water
from the wells of salvation.
On that day you will say,
'Give thanks to the Lord, call upon his name;
'Make known his deeds among the nations,
proclaim that his name is exalted.
'Sing God's praises, who has triumphed gloriously;
let this be known in all the world.
'Shout and sing for joy, you that dwell in Zion,
for great in your midst is the Holy One of Israel.'

FIRST READING [Esther 5]:

On the third day Esther put on her royal robes and stood in the inner court of the
king's palace, opposite the king's hall. The king was sitting on his royal throne inside
the palace opposite the entrance to the palace. As soon as the king saw Queen Esther
standing in the court, she won his favour and he held out to her the golden sceptre that
was in his hand. Then Esther approached and touched the top of the sceptre. The king
said to her, 'What is it, Queen Esther? What is your request? It shall be given you,
even to the half of my kingdom.' Then Esther said, 'If it pleases the king, let the king
and Haman come today to a banquet that I have prepared for the king.' Then the king
said, 'Bring Haman quickly, so that we may do as Esther desires.' So the king and
Haman came to the banquet that Esther had prepared. While they were drinking wine,
the king said to Esther, 'What is your petition? It shall be granted you. And what is
your request? Even to the half of my kingdom, it shall be fulfilled.' Then Esther said,
'This is my petition and request: If I have won the king's favour, and if it pleases the
king to grant my petition and fulfil my request, let the king and Haman come
tomorrow to the banquet that I will prepare for them, and then I will do as the king
has said.'
Haman went out that day happy and in good spirits. But when Haman saw Mordecai
in the king's gate, and observed that he neither rose nor trembled before him, he was
infuriated with Mordecai; nevertheless, Haman restrained himself and went home.
Then he sent and called for his friends and his wife Zeresh, and Haman recounted to
them the splendour of his riches, the number of his sons, all the promotions with which
the king had honoured him, and how he had advanced him above the officials and the
ministers of the king. Haman added, 'Even Queen Esther let no one but myself come
with the king to the banquet that she prepared. Tomorrow also I am invited by her,
together with the king. Yet all this does me no good so long as I see the Jew Mordecai
sitting at the king's gate.' Then his wife Zeresh and all his friends said to him, 'Let a
gallows fifty cubits high be made, and in the morning tell the king to have Mordecai
hanged on it; then go with the king to the banquet in good spirits.' This advice pleased
Haman, and he had the gallows made.

HYMN
Words: William Boyd Carpenter (1841-1918)
Music: St. Petersburg

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b/b046.html

Before thy throne, O God, we kneel:
give us a conscience quick to feel,
a ready mind to understand
the meaning of thy chastening hand;
whate'er the pain and shame may be,
bring us, O Father, nearer thee.

Search out our hearts and make us true;
help us to give to all their due.
>From love of pleasure, lust of gold,
from sins which make the heart grow cold,
wean us and train us with thy rod;
teach us to know our faults, O God.

For sins of heedless word and deed,
for pride ambitions to succeed,
for crafty trade and subtle snare
to catch the simple unaware,
for lives bereft of purpose high,
forgive, forgive, O Lord, we cry.

Let the fierce fires which burn and try,
our inmost spirits purify:
consume the ill; purge out the shame;
O God, be with us in the flame;
a newborn people may we rise,
more pure, more true, more nobly wise.

SECOND READING [Romans 1:1-17]:

Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, set apart for the gospel of God,
which he promised beforehand through his prophets in the holy scriptures, the gospel
concerning his Son, who was descended from David according to the flesh and was
declared to be Son of God with power according to the spirit of holiness by
resurrection from the dead, Jesus Christ our Lord, through whom we have received
grace and apostleship to bring about the obedience of faith among all the Gentiles for
the sake of his name, including yourselves who are called to belong to Jesus Christ,

To all God's beloved in Rome, who are called to be saints: Grace to you and peace
from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for all of you, because your faith is
proclaimed throughout the world. For God, whom I serve with my spirit by
announcing the gospel of his Son, is my witness that without ceasing I remember you
always in my prayers, asking that by God's will I may somehow at last succeed in
coming to you. For I am longing to see you so that I may share with you some
spiritual gift to strengthen you  or rather so that we may be mutually encouraged by
each other's faith, both yours and mine. I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that
I have often intended to come to you (but thus far have been prevented), in order that
I may reap some harvest among you as I have among the rest of the Gentiles. I am a
debtor both to Greeks and to barbarians, both to the wise and to the foolish   hence
my eagerness to proclaim the gospel to you also who are in Rome.

For I am not ashamed of the gospel; it is the power of God for salvation to everyone
who has faith, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. For in it the righteousness of God
is revealed through faith for faith; as it is written, 'The one who is righteous will live
by faith.'

We praise you, God our creator, for your handiwork in
shaping and sustaining your wondrous creation. Especially
we thank you for
     the miracle of life and the wonder of living...
                         (We thank you, Lord.)
     particular blessings coming to us in this day...
     the resources of the earth...
     gifts of creative vision and skillful craft...
     the treasure stored in every human life...

We dare to pray for others, God our Savior, claiming your
love in Jesus Christ for the whole world, committing
ourselves to care for those around us in his name.
Especially we pray for
     those who work for the benefit of others...
                         (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     those who cannot work today...
     those who teach and those who learn...
     people who are poor...
     the Church in Europe...

We bless you, Master of the heavens,
for the order which enfolds all things
and that this universe should find its meaning
in a Son of Man through whom and for whom all is made,
Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

All-loving God,
your Son said that it is by our love
that the world will recognise us as his disciples.
Help our bishops to love one another,
even when they disagree passionately.
And may their conversation be a witness to their faith in Christ,
your Son, our Lord. Amen.

Enrich us abundantly with your grace, O Lord,
that, firm in faith, secure in hope, and constant in love,
we may keep your commandments with watchful care. Amen.

The opening prayer and closing sentence are adapted from prayers by Alan Griffiths..