OREMUS: 20 July 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Jul 19 17:00:00 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Sunday, July 20, 2008
The Tenth Sunday after Pentecost

the source and end of all things:
in the resurrection of Christ
you reveal the first fruits of the Spirit,
the pledge of things to come.

How shall the young cleanse their way?*
 By keeping to your words.
With my whole heart I seek you;*
 let me not stray from your commandments.
I treasure your promise in my heart,*
 that I may not sin against you.
Blessed are you, O Lord;*
 instruct me in your statutes.
With my lips will I recite*
 all the judgements of your mouth.
I have taken greater delight in the way of your decrees*
 than in all manner of riches.
I will meditate on your commandments*
 and give attention to your ways.
My delight is in your statutes;*
 I will not forget your word.

Deal bountifully with your servant,*
 that I may live and keep your word.
Open my eyes, that I may see*
 the wonders of your law.
I am a stranger here on earth;*
 do not hide your commandments from me.
My soul is consumed at all times*
 with longing for your judgements.
You have rebuked the insolent;*
 cursed are they who stray from your commandments!
Turn from me shame and rebuke,*
 for I have kept your decrees.
Even though rulers sit and plot against me,*
 I will meditate on your statutes.
For your decrees are my delight,*
 and they are my counsellors.

A Song of the Lamb (Revelation 19.1b,2a,5b,6b,7,9b)

Salvation and glory and power belong to our God, .
whose judgements are true and just.
Praise our God, all you his servants, .
all who fear him, both small and great.
The Lord our God, the Almighty, reigns: .
let us rejoice and exult and give him the glory.
For the marriage of the Lamb has come .
and his bride has made herself ready.
Blessed are those who are invited .
to the wedding banquet of the Lamb.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Proverbs 4:1-4,20-27]:

Listen, children, to a father's instruction,
   and be attentive, that you may gain insight;
for I give you good precepts:
   do not forsake my teaching.
When I was a son with my father,
   tender, and my mother's favourite,
he taught me, and said to me,
'Let your heart hold fast my words;
   keep my commandments, and live.
My child, be attentive to my words;
   incline your ear to my sayings.
Do not let them escape from your sight;
   keep them within your heart.
For they are life to those who find them,
   and healing to all their flesh.
Keep your heart with all vigilance,
   for from it flow the springs of life.
Put away from you crooked speech,
   and put devious talk far from you.
Let your eyes look directly forwards,
   and your gaze be straight before you.
Keep straight the path of your feet,
   and all your ways will be sure.
Do not swerve to the right or to the left;
   turn your foot away from evil.

HYMN
Words: John Samuel Bewley Monsell, Jr., 1860
Tune: Pentecost

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/f/f155.html

Fight the good fight with all thy might,
Christ is thy strength and Christ thy right;
lay hold on life, and it shall be
thy joy and crown eternally.

Run the straight race, through God's good grace,
lift up thine eyes and seek his face;
life with its way before us lies,
Christ is the path and Christ the prize.

Cast care aside, lean on thy Guide;
his boundless mercy will provide;
trust, and thy trusting soul shall prove
Christ is its life and Christ its love.

Faint not nor fear, his arms are near;
he changeth not, and thou art dear;
only believe, and thou shalt see
that Christ is all in all to thee.

SECOND READING [Hebrews 12:1-13]:

Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay
aside every weight and the sin that clings so closely, and let us run with perseverance
the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus the pioneer and perfecter of our faith,
who for the sake of the joy that was set before him endured the cross, disregarding its
shame, and has taken his seat at the right hand of the throne of God.
Consider him who endured such hostility against himself from sinners, so that you may
not grow weary or lose heart. In your struggle against sin you have not yet resisted to
the point of shedding your blood. And you have forgotten the exhortation that
addresses you as children
'My child, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord,
   or lose heart when you are punished by him;
for the Lord disciplines those whom he loves,
   and chastises every child whom he accepts.'
Endure trials for the sake of discipline. God is treating you as children; for what child
is there whom a parent does not discipline? If you do not have that discipline in which
all children share, then you are illegitimate and not his children. Moreover, we had
human parents to discipline us, and we respected them. Should we not be even more
willing to be subject to the Father of spirits and live? For they disciplined us for a short
time as seemed best to them, but he disciplines us for our good, in order that we may
share his holiness. Now, discipline always seems painful rather than pleasant at the
time, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been
trained by it.

Therefore lift your drooping hands and strengthen your weak knees, and make straight
paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be put out of joint, but rather be
healed.

Let us bring our prayers to the God of mercy and compassion.

We pray for the young people gathered in Australia for World Youth Day with Pope
Benedict: may they be given inspiration for their lives, and a deepening of faith and
fellowship.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for the unity of Christians, remembering especially the bishops of the
Anglican Communion meeting at Canterbury: may all Christian people work and pray
together to proclaim the Gospel and build up God's kingdom of justice, love and
peace.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for all teachers and students during their summer holidays: may this be for
them a time of refreshment and renewal.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for the peoples of Darfur who know no joy; where the world's leaders look
the other way, and the fighting, raping and pillaging continue unabated.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for the peoples of the Holy Land, and for all who are seeking to bring peace
in that region: may those who are divided by race, religion or belief be brought
together in reconciliation.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

Heavenly Father, you know everything that is in our hearts, and send your Spirit to
help us to pray. We ask you to hear our prayers, which we make in the power of the
Holy Spirit, through your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Eternal God,
you draw near to us in Christ
and make yourself our guest:
Amid the cares of our daily lives,
make us attentive to your voice and alert to your presence,
that we may treasure your word above all else.
We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
God forever and ever. Amen.

Enrich us abundantly with your grace, O Lord,
that, firm in faith, secure in hope, and constant in love,
we may keep your commandments with watchful care. Amen.

The opening prayer and closing sentence are adapted from prayers by Alan Griffiths..

The petitions are gathered by Redemptorist Publications and are published each Friday on
their website: http://www.rpbooks.co.uk/page.php?page=prayers

The collect is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster /
John Knox Press.