OREMUS: 16 July 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Jul 15 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Blessed are you, Lord of all creation;
in your love you made us for yourself.
When we turned away you did not reject us,
but came to meet us in your Son.
You embraced us as your children
and welcomed us to sit and eat with you.
In Christ you shared our life
that we might live in him and he in us.

O how I love your law!*
 all the day long it is in my mind.
Your commandment has made me wiser
   than my enemies,*
 and it is always with me.
I have more understanding than all my teachers,*
 for your decrees are my study.
I am wiser than the elders,*
 because I observe your commandments.
I restrain my feet from every evil way,*
 that I may keep your word.
I do not shrink from your judgements,*
 because you yourself have taught me.
How sweet are your words to my taste!*
 they are sweeter than honey to my mouth.
Through your commandments I gain understanding;*
 therefore I hate every lying way.
Your word is a lantern to my feet*
 and a light upon my path.
I have sworn and am determined*
 to keep your righteous judgements.
I am deeply troubled;*
 preserve my life, O Lord, according to your word.
Accept, O Lord, the willing tribute of my lips,*
 and teach me your judgements.
My life is always in my hand,*
 yet I do not forget your law.
The wicked have set a trap for me,*
 but I have not strayed from your commandments.
Your decrees are my inheritance for ever;*
 truly, they are the joy of my heart.
I have applied my heart to fulfil your statutes*
 for ever and to the end.

A Song of the Spirit (Revelation 22:12-14,16,17)

'Behold, I am coming soon', says the Lord,
'and bringing my reward with me, .
to give to everyone according to their deeds.
'I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, .
the beginning and the end.'
Blessed are those who do God's commandments,
that they may have the right to the tree of life, .
and may enter into the city through the gates.
'I, Jesus, have sent my angel to you, .
with this testimony for all the churches.
'I am the root and the offspring of David, .
I am the bright morning star.'
'Come!' say the Spirit and the Bride; .
'Come!' let each hearer reply.
Come forward, you who are thirsty, .
let those who desire take the water of life as a gift.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [Daniel 6:16-23,25-27]:

Then the king gave the command, and Daniel was brought and thrown into the den of
lions. The king said to Daniel, 'May your God, whom you faithfully serve, deliver
you!' A stone was brought and laid on the mouth of the den, and the king sealed it
with his own signet and with the signet of his lords, so that nothing might be changed
concerning Daniel. Then the king went to his palace and spent the night fasting; no
food was brought to him, and sleep fled from him.

Then, at break of day, the king got up and hurried to the den of lions. When he came
near the den where Daniel was, he cried out anxiously to Daniel, 'O Daniel, servant of
the living God, has your God whom you faithfully serve been able to deliver you from
the lions?' Daniel then said to the king, 'O king, live for ever! My God sent his angel
and shut the lions' mouths so that they would not hurt me, because I was found
blameless before him; and also before you, O king, I have done no wrong.' Then the
king was exceedingly glad and commanded that Daniel be taken up out of the den. So
Daniel was taken up out of the den, and no kind of harm was found on him, because
he had trusted in his God.

Then King Darius wrote to all peoples and nations of every language throughout the
whole world: 'May you have abundant prosperity! I make a decree, that in all my royal
dominion people should tremble and fear before the God of Daniel:
For he is the living God,
   enduring for ever.
His kingdom shall never be destroyed,
   and his dominion has no end.
He delivers and rescues,
   he works signs and wonders in heaven and on earth;
for he has saved Daniel
   from the power of the lions.'

HYMN
Words: Thomas O. Chisholm (c) Hope Publishing Co. Used with permission.
Tune: Great is thy faithfulness

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/g/g390.html

Great is thy faithfulness, O God my Father;
there is no shadow of turning with thee;
thou changest not, thy compassions, they fail not;
as thou hast been thou forever will be.
Refrain:
Great is thy faithfulness! Great is thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see;
all I have needed thy hand hath provided;
great is thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!

Summer and winter and springtime and harvest,
sun, moon and stars in their courses above
join with all nature in manifold witness
to thy great faithfulness, mercy and love. Refrain

Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth
thy own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,
blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside! Refrain

SECOND READING [Acts 27:9-26]:

Since much time had been lost and sailing was now dangerous, because even the Fast
had already gone by, Paul advised them, saying, 'Sirs, I can see that the voyage will be
with danger and much heavy loss, not only of the cargo and the ship, but also of our
lives.' But the centurion paid more attention to the pilot and to the owner of the ship
than to what Paul said. Since the harbour was not suitable for spending the winter, the
majority was in favour of putting to sea from there, on the chance that somehow they
could reach Phoenix, where they could spend the winter. It was a harbour of Crete,
facing south-west and north-west.
When a moderate south wind began to blow, they thought they could achieve their
purpose; so they weighed anchor and began to sail past Crete, close to the shore. But
soon a violent wind, called the northeaster, rushed down from Crete. Since the ship
was caught and could not be turned with its head to the wind, we gave way to it and
were driven. By running under the lee of a small island called Cauda we were scarcely
able to get the ship's boat under control. After hoisting it up they took measures to
undergird the ship; then, fearing that they would run on the Syrtis, they lowered the
sea-anchor and so were driven. We were being pounded by the storm so violently that
on the next day they began to throw the cargo overboard, and on the third day with
their own hands they threw the ship's tackle overboard. When neither sun nor stars
appeared for many days, and no small tempest raged, all hope of our being saved was
at last abandoned.
Since they had been without food for a long time, Paul then stood up among them and
said, 'Men, you should have listened to me and not have set sail from Crete and
thereby avoided this damage and loss. I urge you now to keep up your courage, for
there will be no loss of life among you, but only of the ship. For last night there stood
by me an angel of the God to whom I belong and whom I worship, and he said, "Do
not be afraid, Paul; you must stand before the emperor; and indeed, God has granted
safety to all those who are sailing with you." So keep up your courage, men, for I have
faith in God that it will be exactly as I have been told. But we will have to run aground
on some island.'

Bountiful God, you give us every good gift;
hear us as we offer our prayers to you.

We pray for our family and friends
and for all who are dear to us,
that in following you and rejoicing in your mercy,
they may share in your joy for ever.
Bountiful God,
hear our prayer.

We pray for those who are worn by their work,
for older persons and for children,
that they may know you are the strength of the weak
and the refuge of the distressed.
Bountiful God,
hear our prayer.

We pray for all who follow Christ,
that they may grow in their sense of discipleship
and calling to proclaim the Good News to others.
We pray especially for the Diocese of
Bountiful God,
hear our prayer.

We pray for all in the medical professions,
that they may work wisely to promote health,
knowing that you are source of all healing.
Bountiful God,
hear our prayer.

We pray for all who are persecuted
for the sake of righteousness
and for all who are oppressed,
that they may gain the true liberation which comes from you alone.
Bountiful God,
hear our prayer.

Teach us, O Lord,
to serve you with patience,
to follow you with simplicity,
to reverence you with fear
and to love you with our whole heart;
that serving, following, reverencing and loving
we may behold you in the beauty of holiness
and rest in the presence of your glory,
now and forever. Amen.

You have opened to us the Scriptures, O Christ.
Abide with us, we pray,
that, blessed by your royal presence,
we may walk with you
all the days of our life,
and at its end behold you
in the glory of the eternal Trinity,
one God for ever and ever. Amen.

The opening prayer and closing sentence are adapted from _Common Worship:
Services and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from which is included in
this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

The intercession is by Stephen Benner and the collect is by Evelyn Underhill.