OREMUS: 15 July 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Jul 14 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Blessed are you, Lord of all creation;
in your love you made us for yourself.
When we turned away you did not reject us,
but came to meet us in your Son.
You embraced us as your children
and welcomed us to sit and eat with you.
In Christ you shared our life
that we might live in him and he in us.

Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;*
 his mercy endures for ever.
Let Israel now proclaim,*
 'His mercy endures for ever.'
Let the house of Aaron now proclaim,*
 'His mercy endures for ever.'
Let those who fear the Lord now proclaim,*
 'His mercy endures for ever.'
I called to the Lord in my distress;*
 the Lord answered by setting me free.
The Lord is at my side, therefore I will not fear;*
 what can anyone do to me?
The Lord is at my side to help me;*
 I will triumph over those who hate me.
It is better to rely on the Lord*
 than to put any trust in flesh.
It is better to rely on the Lord*
 than to put any trust in rulers.
All the ungodly encompass me;*
 in the name of the Lord I will repel them.
They hem me in, they hem me in on every side;*
 in the name of the Lord I will repel them.
They swarm about me like bees;
   they blaze like a fire of thorns;*
 in the name of the Lord I will repel them.
I was pressed so hard that I almost fell,*
 but the Lord came to my help.
The Lord is my strength and my song,*
 and he has become my salvation.
There is a sound of exultation and victory*
 in the tents of the righteous:
'The right hand of the Lord has triumphed!*
 the right hand of the Lord is exalted!
   the right hand of the Lord has triumphed!'
I shall not die, but live,*
 and declare the works of the Lord.
The Lord has punished me sorely,*
 but he did not hand me over to death.
Open for me the gates of righteousness;*
 I will enter them; I will offer thanks to the Lord.
'This is the gate of the Lord;*
 whoever is righteous may enter.'
I will give thanks to you, for you answered me*
 and have become my salvation.
The same stone which the builders rejected*
 has become the chief corner-stone.
This is the Lord's doing,*
 and it is marvellous in our eyes.
On this day the Lord has acted;*
 we will rejoice and be glad in it.
Hosanna, Lord, hosanna!*
 Lord, send us now success.
Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord;*
 we bless you from the house of the Lord.
God is the Lord; he has shined upon us;*
 form a procession with branches
   up to the horns of the altar.
'You are my God and I will thank you;*
 you are my God and I will exalt you.'
Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;*
 his mercy endures for ever.

A Song of God's Assembled (Hebrews 12.22-24a,28,29)

We have come before God's holy mountain,
to the heavenly Jerusalem, the city of the living God.
We have come before countless angels making festival,
before the assembly of the firstborn citizens of heaven.
We have come before God, who is judge of all,
before the spirits of the just made perfect.
We have come before Jesus,
the mediator of the new covenant.
We are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken:
so let us give thanks and offer to God acceptable worship,
Full of reverence and awe;
for our God is a consuming fire.

FIRST READING [Daniel 6:9-15]:

Therefore King Darius signed the document and interdict.
Although Daniel knew that the document had been signed, he continued to go to his
house, which had windows in its upper room open towards Jerusalem, and to get
down on his knees three times a day to pray to his God and praise him, just as he had
done previously. The conspirators came and found Daniel praying and seeking mercy
before his God. Then they approached the king and said concerning the interdict, 'O
king! Did you not sign an interdict, that anyone who prays to anyone, divine or human,
within thirty days except to you, O king, shall be thrown into a den of lions?' The king
answered, 'The thing stands fast, according to the law of the Medes and Persians,
which cannot be revoked.' Then they responded to the king, 'Daniel, one of the exiles
from Judah, pays no attention to you, O king, or to the interdict you have signed, but
he is saying his prayers three times a day.'
When the king heard the charge, he was very much distressed. He was determined to
save Daniel, and until the sun went down he made every effort to rescue him. Then the
conspirators came to the king and said to him, 'Know, O king, that it is a law of the
Medes and Persians that no interdict or ordinance that the king establishes can be
changed.'

HYMN
Words: John Cawood, 1815
Tune: Albano

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/a/a236.html

Almighty God, thy word is cast
like seed upon the ground,
now let the dew of heaven descend
and righteous fruits abound.

Let not the foe of Christ and man
this holy seed remove:
but give it root in every heart,
to bring forth fruits of love.

Let not the world's deceitful cares
the rising plant destroy,
but let it yield a hundred-fold
the fruits of peace and joy.

Oft as the precious seed is sown,
thy quickening grace bestow;
that all whose souls the truth receive
its saving power may know.

SECOND READING [Acts 26:24-27:8]:

While Paul was making this defence, Festus exclaimed, 'You are out of your mind,
Paul! Too much learning is driving you insane!' But Paul said, 'I am not out of my
mind, most excellent Festus, but I am speaking the sober truth. Indeed the king knows
about these things, and to him I speak freely; for I am certain that none of these things
has escaped his notice, for this was not done in a corner. King Agrippa, do you believe
the prophets? I know that you believe.' Agrippa said to Paul, 'Are you so quickly
persuading me to become a Christian?' Paul replied, 'Whether quickly or not, I pray to
God that not only you but also all who are listening to me today might become such as
I am except for these chains.'
Then the king got up, and with him the governor and Bernice and those who had been
seated with them; and as they were leaving, they said to one another, 'This man is
doing nothing to deserve death or imprisonment.' Agrippa said to Festus, 'This man
could have been set free if he had not appealed to the emperor.'
Then it was decided that we were to sail for Italy, they transferred Paul and some
other prisoners to a centurion of the Augustan Cohort, named Julius. Embarking on a
ship of Adramyttium that was about to set sail to the ports along the coast of Asia, we
put to sea, accompanied by Aristarchus, a Macedonian from Thessalonica. The next
day we put in at Sidon; and Julius treated Paul kindly, and allowed him to go to his
friends to be cared for. Putting out to sea from there, we sailed under the lee of
Cyprus, because the winds were against us. After we had sailed across the sea that is
off Cilicia and Pamphylia, we came to Myra in Lycia. There the centurion found an
Alexandrian ship bound for Italy and put us on board. We sailed slowly for a number
of days and arrived with difficulty off Cnidus, and as the wind was against us, we
sailed under the lee of Crete off Salmone. Sailing past it with difficulty, we came to a
place called Fair Havens, near the city of Lasea.

Merciful God,
you give us every good gift.
Hear our prayers which we now offer
through your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

We pray for your Church.
May our divisions be healed,
that we may go into the world proclaiming your Good News.
Lord, in your mercy:
hear our prayer.

We pray for the physical and spiritual well-being
of our family and friends,
that they may rejoice in your mercy and love
and share in your joy in your heavenly Kingdom.
Lord, in your mercy:
hear our prayer.

We pray for those who work,
especially those who are stressed or overwhelmed,
that they may know you are their refuge and strength.
Lord, in your mercy:
hear our prayer.

We pray for those who are persecuted
for fighting for justice and liberty,
that they may remember that you are the source
of all things just and free.
Lord, in your mercy:
hear our prayer.

Living Lord,
you have made this day your own
and called us out of darkness into your marvellous light;
open the gates of righteousness
that your pilgrim people may enter
and be built into a living temple
on the cornerstone of our salvation,
Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

You have opened to us the Scriptures, O Christ.
Abide with us, we pray,
that, blessed by your royal presence,
we may walk with you
all the days of our life,
and at its end behold you
in the glory of the eternal Trinity,
one God for ever and ever. Amen.

The canticle and collect are from _Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary

The opening prayer and closing sentence are adapted from _Common Worship:
Services and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from which is included in
this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

The intercessions is (c) Stephen T. Benner.