OREMUS: 13 July 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Jul 12 17:02:00 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Sunday, July 13, 2008
The Ninth Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, Lord of all creation;
in your love you made us for yourself.
When we turned away you did not reject us,
but came to meet us in your Son.
You embraced us as your children
and welcomed us to sit and eat with you.
In Christ you shared our life
that we might live in him and he in us.

To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul;
   my God, I put my trust in you;*
 let me not be humiliated,
   nor let my enemies triumph over me.
Let none who look to you be put to shame;*
 let the treacherous be disappointed in their schemes.
Show me your ways, O Lord,*
 and teach me your paths.
Lead me in your truth and teach me,*
 for you are the God of my salvation;
   in you have I trusted all the day long.
Remember, O Lord, your compassion and love,*
 for they are from everlasting.
Remember not the sins of my youth
   and my transgressions;*
 remember me according to your love
   and for the sake of your goodness, O Lord.
Gracious and upright is the Lord;*
 therefore he teaches sinners in his way.
He guides the humble in doing right*
 and teaches his way to the lowly.
All the paths of the Lord are love and faithfulness*
 to those who keep his covenant and his testimonies.
For your name's sake, O Lord,*
 forgive my sin, for it is great.
Who are they who fear the Lord?*
 he will teach them the way that they should choose.
They shall dwell in prosperity,*
 and their offspring shall inherit the land.
The Lord is a friend to those who fear him*
 and will show them his covenant.
My eyes are ever looking to the Lord,*
 for he shall pluck my feet out of the net.
Turn to me and have pity on me,*
 for I am left alone and in misery.
The sorrows of my heart have increased;*
 bring me out of my troubles.
Look upon my adversity and misery*
 and forgive me all my sin.
Look upon my enemies, for they are many,*
 and they bear a violent hatred against me.
Protect my life and deliver me;*
 let me not be put to shame, for I have trusted in you.
Let integrity and uprightness preserve me,*
 for my hope has been in you.
Deliver Israel, O God,*
 out of all his troubles.

A Song of Divine Love (1 Corinthians 13.4-13)

Love is patient and kind,
love is not jealous or boastful,
it is not arrogant or rude.
Love does not insist on its own way,
it is not angry or resentful.
It does not rejoice in wrongdoing
but rejoices in the truth.
Love bears all things and believes all things;
love hopes all things and endures all things.
Love will never come to an end,
but prophecy will vanish,
tongues cease and knowledge pass away.
Now we know only in part
and we prophesy only in part,
But when the perfect comes,
the partial shall pass away.
When I was a child, I spoke like a child,
I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child.
But when I became mature,
I put an end to childish ways.
For now we see only puzzling reflections in a mirror,
but then we will see face to face.
Now I know only in part;
then I shall know fully,
even as I have been fully known.
There are three things that last for ever,
faith, hope and love,
but the greatest of these is love.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Ecclesiasticus 6:22-end]:

For wisdom is like her name;
   she is not readily perceived by many.

Listen, my child, and accept my judgement;
   do not reject my counsel.
Put your feet into her fetters,
   and your neck into her collar.
Bend your shoulders and carry her,
   and do not fret under her bonds.
Come to her with all your soul,
   and keep her ways with all your might.
Search out and seek, and she will become known to you;
   and when you get hold of her, do not let her go.
For at last you will find the rest she gives,
   and she will be changed into joy for you.
Then her fetters will become for you a strong defence,
   and her collar a glorious robe.
Her yoke is a golden ornament,
   and her bonds a purple cord.
You will wear her like a glorious robe,
   and put her on like a splendid crown.

If you are willing, my child, you can be disciplined,
   and if you apply yourself you will become clever.
If you love to listen you will gain knowledge,
   and if you pay attention you will become wise.
Stand in the company of the elders.
   Who is wise? Attach yourself to such a one.
Be ready to listen to every godly discourse,
   and let no wise proverbs escape you.
If you see an intelligent person, rise early to visit him;
   let your foot wear out his doorstep.
Reflect on the statutes of the Lord,
   and meditate at all times on his commandments.
It is he who will give insight to your mind,
   and your desire for wisdom will be granted.

HYMN
Words: Words: Latin, sixth century;
trans. Gabriel Gillett, 1906
Tune: O invidenda martyrum

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o019.html

O boundless Wisdom, God most high,
O Maker of the earth and sky,
who bidd'st the parted waters flow
in heaven above, on earth below.

The streams on earth, the clouds in heaven,
by thee their ordered bounds were given,
lest 'neath the untempered fires of day
the parchŠd soil should waste away.

E'en so on us who seek thy face
pour forth the waters of thy grace;
renew the fount of life within,
and quench the wasting fires of sin.

Let faith discern the eternal Light
beyond the darkness of the night,
and through the mists of falsehood see
the path of truth revealed by thee.

O Father, that we ask be done,
through Jesus Christ, thine only Son;
who, with the Holy Ghost and thee,
doth live and reign eternally.

SECOND READING [Luke 10:38-end]:

Now as they went on their way, he entered a certain village, where a woman named
Martha welcomed him into her home. She had a sister named Mary, who sat at the
Lord's feet and listened to what he was saying. But Martha was distracted by her
many tasks; so she came to him and asked, 'Lord, do you not care that my sister has
left me to do all the work by myself? Tell her then to help me.' But the Lord answered
her, 'Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted by many things; there is need of
only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part, which will not be taken away from
her.'

The Lord provides for all his people. Let us bring our needs, and the needs of the
world, before God. Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for the unity of Christians: may we work and pray together to proclaim the
Gospel and build up God's kingdom of justice, love and peace. Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

We pray for those who are most vulnerable in our society: may they be given true
value, respect and care at every stage of life. Lord, in your mercy, hear our
prayer.

We pray for all seafarers, fisherfolk and port workers; for their families; for chaplains
and all who offer them pastoral care: may they be kept safe in their work, and have the
support that they need. Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for the young people in Australia this week for World Youth Day with Pope
Benedict: may this be for them a time of growth in faith and fellowship. Lord, in your
mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for the people of Zimbabwe: may they may know peace, justice and freedom
from oppression in their land. Lord, in your mercy, hear our
prayer.

We pray for those parts of the world where there is division and conflict, especially for
the peoples of the Holy Land, Iraq and Afghanistan: may those who are divided by
race, religion or belief come together in peace and reconciliation. Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

Almighty Father, you have given us so many good gifts. We ask your help as we seek
to use them according to your will. We make our prayers through your Son, Jesus
Christ our Lord. Amen.

Almighty God,
you have taught us through Christ
that love fulfills the law:
May we love you with all our soul,
all our mind, and all our strength,
and may we love our neighbors as ourselves;
one God, now and forever. Amen.

You have opened to us the Scriptures, O Christ.
Abide with us, we pray,
that, blessed by your royal presence,
we may walk with you
all the days of our life,
and at its end behold you
in the glory of the eternal Trinity,
one God for ever and ever. Amen.

The opening prayer and closing sentence are adapted from _Common Worship:
Services and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from which is included in
this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

The petitions are gathered by Redemptorist Publications and are published each Friday on
their website: http://www.rpbooks.co.uk/page.php?page=prayers