OREMUS: 12 July 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Jul 11 17:00:06 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Saturday, July 12, 2008

Blessed are you, Lord, our great God,
for the testimonies of the prophets we bless you.
For the statutes of the law we bless you.
For the gospel of Christ and the witness of the apostles
we bless you, glorious God.
You touch us with the Holy Spirit
and do not let us escape your Word
without being caught by its promises and powerful joy.

 sing to the Lord, all the whole earth.
Sing to the Lord and bless his name;*
 proclaim the good news of his salvation from day to day.
Declare his glory among the nations*
 and his wonders among all peoples.
For great is the Lord and greatly to be praised;*
 he is more to be feared than all gods.
As for all the gods of the nations, they are but idols;*
 but it is the Lord who made the heavens.
O the majesty and magnificence of his presence!*
 O the power and the splendour of his sanctuary!
Ascribe to the Lord, you families of the peoples;*
 ascribe to the Lord honour and power.
Ascribe to the Lord the honour due to his name;*
 bring offerings and come into his courts.
Worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness;*
 let the whole earth tremble before him.
Tell it out among the nations: 'The Lord is king!*
 he has made the world so firm that it cannot be moved;
   he will judge the peoples with equity.'
Let the heavens rejoice and let the earth be glad;
   let the sea thunder and all that is in it;*
 let the field be joyful and all that is therein.
Then shall all the trees of the wood shout for joy
   before the Lord when he comes,*
 when he comes to judge the earth.
He will judge the world with righteousness*
 and the peoples with his truth.

Psalm 98

Sing to the Lord a new song,*
 for he has done marvellous things.
With his right hand and his holy arm*
 has he won for himself the victory.
The Lord has made known his victory;*
 his righteousness has he openly shown
   in the sight of the nations.
He remembers his mercy and faithfulness
   to the house of Israel,*
 and all the ends of the earth have seen
   the victory of our God.
Shout with joy to the Lord, all you lands;*
 lift up your voice, rejoice and sing.
Sing to the Lord with the harp,*
 with the harp and the voice of song.
With trumpets and the sound of the horn*
 shout with joy before the King, the Lord.
Let the sea make a noise and all that is in it,*
 the lands and those who dwell therein.
Let the rivers clap their hands,*
 and let the hills ring out with joy before the Lord,
   when he comes to judge the earth.
In righteousness shall he judge the world,*
 and the peoples with equity.

A Song of Jerusalem our Mother (Isaiah 66.10,11a,12a,12c,13a,14a,b)

'Rejoice with Jerusalem and be glad for her,
all you who love her,' says the Lord.
'Rejoice with her in joy,
all you who mourn over her,
'That you may drink deeply with delight
from her consoling breast.'
For thus says our God,
'You shall be nursed and carried on her arm.
'As a mother comforts her children,
so I will comfort you;
'You shall see and your heart shall rejoice;
you shall flourish like the grass of the fields.'

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Daniel 5:17-30]:

Daniel answered in the presence of the king, 'Let your gifts be for yourself, or give
your rewards to someone else! Nevertheless, I will read the writing to the king and let
him know the interpretation. O king, the Most High God gave your father
Nebuchadnezzar kingship, greatness, glory, and majesty. And because of the greatness
that he gave him, all peoples, nations, and languages trembled and feared before him.
He killed those he wanted to kill, kept alive those he wanted to keep alive, honoured
those he wanted to honour, and degraded those he wanted to degrade. But when his
heart was lifted up and his spirit was hardened so that he acted proudly, he was
deposed from his kingly throne, and his glory was stripped from him. He was driven
from human society, and his mind was made like that of an animal. His dwelling was
with the wild asses, he was fed grass like oxen, and his body was bathed with the dew
of heaven, until he learned that the Most High God has sovereignty over the kingdom
of mortals, and sets over it whomsoever he will. And you, Belshazzar his son, have not
humbled your heart, even though you knew all this! You have exalted yourself against
the Lord of heaven! The vessels of his temple have been brought in before you, and
you and your lords, your wives and your concubines have been drinking wine from
them. You have praised the gods of silver and gold, of bronze, iron, wood, and stone,
which do not see or hear or know; but the God in whose power is your very breath,
and to whom belong all your ways, you have not honoured.
'So from his presence the hand was sent and this writing was inscribed. And this is the
writing that was inscribed: mene, mene, tekel, and parsin. This is the interpretation of
the matter: mene, God has numbered the days of your kingdom and brought it to an
end; tekel, you have been weighed on the scales and found wanting; peres, your
kingdom is divided and given to the Medes and Persians.'
Then Belshazzar gave the command, and Daniel was clothed in purple, a chain of gold
was put around his neck, and a proclamation was made concerning him that he should
rank third in the kingdom.
That very night Belshazzar, the Chaldean king, was killed.

HYMN
Words: Georg Neumark (1621-1681);
Catherine Winkworth (1827-1878)
Tune: Wer nur den lieben Gott

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/i/i201.html

If thou but suffer God to guide thee
and hope in him through all thy ways,
he'll give thee strength, whate'er betide thee,
and bear thee through the evil days.
who trusts in God's unchanging love
builds on the rock that naught can move.

What can these anxious cares avail thee,
these never-ceasing moans and sighs?
What can it help if thou bewail thee
o'er each dark moment as it flies?
Our cross and trials do but press
the heavier for our bitterness.

Be patient and await his leisure
in cheerful hope, with heart content
To take whate'er thy Father's pleasure
and his discerning love hath sent,
Nor doubt our inmost wants are known
to him who chose us for his own.

God knows full well when times of gladness
shall be the needful thing for thee.
When he has tried thy soul with sadness
and from all guile has found thee free,
he comes to thee all unaware
and makes thee own his loving care.

Nor think amid the fiery trial
that God hath cast thee off unheard,
that he whose hopes meet no denial
must surely be of God preferred.
Time passes and much change doth bring
and sets a bound to everything.

All are alike before the highest;
'tis easy to our God, we know,
to raise thee up, though low thou liest,
to make the rich man poor and low.
True wonders still by him are wrought
who setteth up and brings to naught.

Sing, pray, and keep his ways unswerving,
perform thy duties faithfully,
and trust his word, though undeserving,
thou yet shalt find it true for thee.
God never yet forsook in need
the soul that trusted him indeed.

SECOND READING [Acts 25:13-end]:

After several days had passed, King Agrippa and Bernice arrived at Caesarea to
welcome Festus. Since they were staying there for several days, Festus laid Paul's case
before the king, saying, 'There is a man here who was left in prison by Felix. When I
was in Jerusalem, the chief priests and the elders of the Jews informed me about him
and asked for a sentence against him. I told them that it was not the custom of the
Romans to hand over anyone before the accused had met the accusers face to face and
had been given an opportunity to make a defence against the charge. So when they
met here, I lost no time, but on the next day took my seat on the tribunal and ordered
the man to be brought. When the accusers stood up, they did not charge him with any
of the crimes that I was expecting. Instead they had certain points of disagreement
with him about their own religion and about a certain Jesus, who had died, but whom
Paul asserted to be alive. Since I was at a loss how to investigate these questions, I
asked whether he wished to go to Jerusalem and be tried there on these charges. But
when Paul had appealed to be kept in custody for the decision of his Imperial Majesty,
I ordered him to be held until I could send him to the emperor.' Agrippa said to
Festus, 'I would like to hear the man myself.' 'Tomorrow', he said, 'you will hear
him.'
So on the next day Agrippa and Bernice came with great pomp, and they entered the
audience hall with the military tribunes and the prominent men of the city. Then Festus
gave the order and Paul was brought in. And Festus said, 'King Agrippa and all here
present with us, you see this man about whom the whole Jewish community petitioned
me, both in Jerusalem and here, shouting that he ought not to live any longer. But I
found that he had done nothing deserving death; and when he appealed to his Imperial
Majesty, I decided to send him. But I have nothing definite to write to our sovereign
about him. Therefore I have brought him before all of you, and especially before you,
King Agrippa, so that, after we have examined him, I may have something to write
for it seems to me unreasonable to send a prisoner without indicating the charges
against him.'

Eternal God,
you have declared in Christ
the completion of all your purpose of love.

We pray for those in need:
the tempted and despairing....
the sick and handicapped....
the aged...
and the dying....
the ministries of care and healing....
those who mourn....

Eternal God, we give thanks
for the triumphs of the gospel that herald your salvation
the signs of renewal that declare
the coming of your kingdom,
the human lives that reveal your work of grace....

for all those who have died in faith....

for the unceasing praise of the company of heaven,
the promise to those who mourn
that all tears shall be wiped away,
the pledge of death destroyed and victory won....

for our foretaste of eternal life
through baptism and eucharist,
our hope in the Spirit,
and the communion of saints....

May we live by faith, walk in hope and be renewed in love,
until the world reflects your glory
and you are all in all.
Even so, come Lord Jesus. Amen.

Lord God, whom we worship in the beauty of holiness,
receive our prayer;
as we tell out your salvation
and declare your glory to all nations,
that all the earth may see your righteous deeds
and glorify your holy name;

Prepare our hearts and lives
to be strengthened and changed by your Word,
revealed by your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen.

The opening prayer and closing sentence are adapted from _The Worship
Soucerbook_.