OREMUS: 10 July 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Jul 9 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Thursday, July 10, 2008

Blessed are you, Lord, our great God,
for the testimonies of the prophets we bless you.
For the statutes of the law we bless you.
For the gospel of Christ and the witness of the apostles
we bless you, glorious God.
You touch us with the Holy Spirit
and do not let us escape your Word
without being caught by its promises and powerful joy.

Psalm 89:1-9,11-14,18-21,24-29, 52

Your love, O Lord, for ever will I sing;*
 from age to age my mouth will proclaim your faithfulness.
For I am persuaded that your love is established for ever;*
 you have set your faithfulness firmly in the heavens.
'I have made a covenant with my chosen one;*
 I have sworn an oath to David my servant:
'"I will establish your line for ever,*
 and preserve your throne for all generations."'
The heavens bear witness to your wonders, O Lord,*
 and to your faithfulness in the assembly of the holy ones;
For who in the skies can be compared to the Lord?*
 who is like the Lord among the gods?
God is much to be feared in the council of the holy ones,*
 great and terrible to all those round about him.
Who is like you, Lord God of hosts?*
 O mighty Lord, your faithfulness is all around you.
You rule the raging of the sea*
 and still the surging of its waves.
Yours are the heavens; the earth also is yours;*
 you laid the foundations of the world
   and all that is in it.
You have made the north and the south;*
 Tabor and Hermon rejoice in your name.
You have a mighty arm;*
 strong is your hand and high is your right hand.
Righteousness and justice
   are the foundations of your throne;*
 love and truth go before your face.
Truly, the Lord is our ruler;*
 the Holy One of Israel is our king.
You spoke once in a vision
   and said to your faithful people:*
 'I have set the crown upon a warrior
   and have exalted one chosen out of the people.
'I have found David my servant;*
 with my holy oil have I anointed him.
'My hand will hold him fast*
 and my arm will make him strong.
'My faithfulness and love shall be with him,*
 and he shall be victorious through my name.
'I shall make his dominion extend*
 from the Great Sea to the River.
'He will say to me, "You are my Father,*
 my God and the rock of my salvation."
'I will make him my first-born*
 and higher than the kings of the earth.
'I will keep my love for him for ever,*
 and my covenant will stand firm for him.
'I will establish his line for ever*
 and his throne as the days of heaven.
Blessed be the Lord for evermore!*
 Amen, I say, Amen.

A Song of the Covenant (Isaiah 42.5-8a)

Thus says God, who created the heavens,
who fashioned the earth and all that dwells in it;
Who gives breath to the people upon it
and spirit to those who walk in it,
'I am the Lord and I have called you in righteousness,
I have taken you by the hand and kept you;
'I have given you as a covenant to the people,
a light to the nations, to open the eyes that are blind,
'To bring out the captives from the dungeon,
from the prison, those who sit in darkness.
'I am the Lord, that is my name;
my glory I give to no other.'

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [Daniel 5:1-9]:

King Belshazzar made a great festival for a thousand of his lords, and he was drinking
wine in the presence of the thousand.
Under the influence of the wine, Belshazzar commanded that they bring in the vessels
of gold and silver that his father Nebuchadnezzar had taken out of the temple in
Jerusalem, so that the king and his lords, his wives, and his concubines might drink
from them. So they brought in the vessels of gold and silver that had been taken out of
the temple, the house of God in Jerusalem, and the king and his lords, his wives, and
his concubines drank from them. They drank the wine and praised the gods of gold
and silver, bronze, iron, wood, and stone.
Immediately the fingers of a human hand appeared and began writing on the plaster of
the wall of the royal palace, next to the lampstand. The king was watching the hand as
it wrote. Then the king's face turned pale, and his thoughts terrified him. His limbs
gave way, and his knees knocked together. The king cried aloud to bring in the
enchanters, the Chaldeans, and the diviners; and the king said to the wise men of
Babylon, 'Whoever can read this writing and tell me its interpretation shall be clothed
in purple, have a chain of gold around his neck, and rank third in the kingdom.' Then
all the king's wise men came in, but they could not read the writing or tell the king the
interpretation. Then King Belshazzar became greatly terrified and his face turned pale,
and his lords were perplexed.

HYMN
Words:  Robert Bridges (1844-1930);
Tune: Michael

All my hope on God is founded;
he doth still my trust renew,
me through change and chance he guideth,
only good and only true.
God unknown,
he alone
calls my heart to be his own.

Pride of man and earthly glory,
sword and crown betray his trust;
what with care and toil he buildeth,
tower and temple fall to dust.
But God's power,
hour by hour,
is my temple and my tower.

God's great goodness aye endureth,
deep his wisdom, passing thought:
splendor, light and life attend him,
beauty springeth out of naught.
Evermore
from his store
newborn worlds rise and adore.

Daily doth the almighty Giver
bounteous gifts on us bestow;
his desire our soul delighteth,
pleasure leads us where we go.
Love doth stand
at his hand;
joy doth wait on his command.

Still from man to God eternal
sacrifice of praise be done,
high above all praises praising
for the gift of Christ, his Son.
Christ doth call
one and all:
ye who follow shall not fall.

SECOND READING [Acts 24:10-23]:

When the governor motioned to him to speak, Paul replied:
'I cheerfully make my defence, knowing that for many years you have been a judge over
this nation. As you can find out, it is not more than twelve days since I went up to
worship in Jerusalem. They did not find me disputing with anyone in the temple or
stirring up a crowd either in the synagogues or throughout the city. Neither can they
prove to you the charge that they now bring against me. But this I admit to you, that
according to the Way, which they call a sect, I worship the God of our ancestors,
believing everything laid down according to the law or written in the prophets. I have a
hope in God a hope that they themselves also accept that there will be a resurrection
of both the righteous and the unrighteous. Therefore I do my best always to have a clear
conscience towards God and all people. Now after some years I came to bring alms to
my nation and to offer sacrifices. While I was doing this, they found me in the temple,
completing the rite of purification, without any crowd or disturbance. But there were
some Jews from Asia they ought to be here before you to make an accusation, if they
have anything against me. Or let these men here tell what crime they had found when I
stood before the council, unless it was this one sentence that I called out while standing
before them, "It is about the resurrection of the dead that I am on trial before you
today." '
But Felix, who was rather well informed about the Way, adjourned the hearing with the
comment, 'When Lysias the tribune comes down, I will decide your case.' Then he
ordered the centurion to keep him in custody, but to let him have some liberty and not to
prevent any of his friends from taking care of his needs.

Eternal God,
you have raised Jesus Christ from the dead
and exalted him to your right hand in glory,
and through him called your Church into being,
that your people might know you,
and that they might make your name known.

We pray for the church
the Church universal, and local, especially....
the unity of the Church....
the ministries of the Church....
the mission of the Church....
the renewal of the Church....
all Christians in this place....

Eternal God, we give you thanks

for the apostolic gospel committed to your Church,
the continuing presence and power of your Spirit,
the ministry of Word, Sacrament and Prayer....

for the divine mission in which we are called to share,
the will to unity and its fruit in common action,
the faithful witness of those who are true to Christ....

for all works of compassion
and every service that proclaims your love.

In peace and unity
may your people offer the unfailing sacrifice of praise,
and make your glory known;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Lord,
strengthen us to bear the scorching fire of your love
so that you may find a home in our hearts
on the day of your coming. Amen.

Prepare our hearts and lives
to be strengthened and changed by your Word,
revealed by your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen.

The opening prayer and closing sentence are adapted from _The Worship
Soucerbook_.