OREMUS: 8 July 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Jul 7 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Blessed are you, Lord, our great God,
for the testimonies of the prophets we bless you.
For the statutes of the law we bless you.
For the gospel of Christ and the witness of the apostles
we bless you, glorious God.
You touch us with the Holy Spirit
and do not let us escape your Word
without being caught by its promises and powerful joy.

Psalm 74 [CCP]

O God, why have you utterly cast us off?*
 why is your wrath so hot
   against the sheep of your pasture?
Remember your congregation that you purchased long ago,*
 the tribe you redeemed to be your inheritance,
   and Mount Zion where you dwell.
Turn your steps towards the endless ruins;*
 the enemy has laid waste everything in your sanctuary.
Your adversaries roared in your holy place;*
 they set up their banners as tokens of victory.
They were like men coming up with axes
   to a grove of trees;*
 they broke down all your carved work
   with hatchets and hammers.
They set fire to your holy place;*
 they defiled the dwelling-place of your name
   and razed it to the ground.
They said to themselves, 'Let us destroy them altogether.'*
 They burned down all the meeting-places of God
   in the land.
There are no signs for us to see;
   there is no prophet left;*
 there is not one among us who knows how long.
How long, O God, will the adversary scoff?*
 will the enemy blaspheme your name for ever?
Why do you draw back your hand?*
 why is your right hand hidden in your bosom?
Yet God is my king from ancient times,*
 victorious in the midst of the earth.
You divided the sea by your might*
 and shattered the heads of the dragons upon the waters;
You crushed the heads of Leviathan*
 and gave him to the people of the desert for food.
You split open spring and torrent;*
 you dried up ever-flowing rivers.
Yours is the day, yours also the night;*
 you established the moon and the sun.
You fixed all the boundaries of the earth;*
 you made both summer and winter.
Remember, O Lord, how the enemy scoffed,*
 how a foolish people despised your name.
Do not hand over the life of your dove to wild beasts;*
 never forget the lives of your poor.
Look upon your covenant;*
 the dark places of the earth are haunts of violence.
Let not the oppressed turn away ashamed;*
 let the poor and needy praise your name.
Arise, O God, maintain your cause;*
 remember how fools revile you all day long.
Forget not the clamour of your adversaries,*
 the unending tumult of those who rise up against you.

A Song of Peace (Isaiah 2.3-5)

Come, let us go up to the mountain of God,
to the house of the God of Jacob;
That God may teach us his ways,
and that we may walk in his paths.
For the law shall go out from Zion,
and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem.
God shall judge between the nations,
and shall mediate for many peoples.
They shall beat their swords into ploughshares,
and their spears into pruning hooks.
Nation shall not lift up sword against nation,
neither shall they learn war any more.
O people of Jacob, come:
let us walk in the light of the Lord.

FIRST READING [Daniel 4:19-27]:

Daniel, who was called Belteshazzar, was severely distressed for a while. His thoughts
terrified him. The king said, 'Belteshazzar, do not let the dream or the interpretation
terrify you.' Belteshazzar answered, 'My lord, may the dream be for those who hate
you, and its interpretation for your enemies! The tree that you saw, which grew great
and strong, so that its top reached to heaven and was visible to the end of the whole
earth, whose foliage was beautiful and its fruit abundant, and which provided food for
all, under which animals of the field lived, and in whose branches the birds of the air
had nests  it is you, O king! You have grown great and strong. Your greatness has
increased and reaches to heaven, and your sovereignty to the ends of the earth. And
whereas the king saw a holy watcher coming down from heaven and saying, "Cut
down the tree and destroy it, but leave its stump and roots in the ground, with a band
of iron and bronze, in the grass of the field; and let him be bathed with the dew of
heaven, and let his lot be with the animals of the field, until seven times pass over
him"  this is the interpretation, O king, and it is a decree of the Most High that has
come upon my lord the king: You shall be driven away from human society, and your
dwelling shall be with the wild animals. You shall be made to eat grass like oxen, you
shall be bathed with the dew of heaven, and seven times shall pass over you, until you
have learned that the Most High has sovereignty over the kingdom of mortals, and
gives it to whom he will. As it was commanded to leave the stump and roots of the
tree, your kingdom shall be re-established for you from the time that you learn that
Heaven is sovereign. Therefore, O king, may my counsel be acceptable to you: atone
for your sins with righteousness, and your iniquities with mercy to the oppressed, so
that your prosperity may be prolonged.'

HYMN
Words: John Marriott, 1813
Tune: Moscow

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t640.html

Thou, whose almighty word
chaos and darkness heard,
and took their flight;
hear us, we humbly pray,
and, where the Gospel day
sheds not its glorious ray,
let there be light!

Thou who didst come to bring
on thy redeeming wing
healing and sight,
heal to the sick in mind,
sight to the in-ly blind,
now to all humankind,
let there be light!

Spirit of truth and love,
life-giving holy Dove,
speed forth thy flight!
Move on the waters' face
bearing the gifts of grace,
and, in earth's darkest place,
let there be light!

Holy and blessŠd Three,
glorious Trinity,
Wisdom, Love, Might;
boundless as ocean's tide,
rolling in fullest pride,
through the world far and wide,
let there be light!

SECOND READING [Acts 23:12-24]:

 In the morning the Jews joined in a conspiracy and bound themselves by an oath
neither to eat nor drink until they had killed Paul. There were more than forty who
joined in this conspiracy. They went to the chief priests and elders and said, 'We have
strictly bound ourselves by an oath to taste no food until we have killed Paul. Now
then, you and the council must notify the tribune to bring him down to you, on the
pretext that you want to make a more thorough examination of his case. And we are
ready to do away with him before he arrives.'
Now the son of Paul's sister heard about the ambush; so he went and gained entrance
to the barracks and told Paul. Paul called one of the centurions and said, 'Take this
young man to the tribune, for he has something to report to him.' So he took him,
brought him to the tribune, and said, 'The prisoner Paul called me and asked me to
bring this young man to you; he has something to tell you.' The tribune took him by
the hand, drew him aside privately, and asked, 'What is it that you have to report to
me?' He answered, 'The Jews have agreed to ask you to bring Paul down to the
council tomorrow, as though they were going to inquire more thoroughly into his case.
But do not be persuaded by them, for more than forty of their men are lying in ambush
for him. They have bound themselves by an oath neither to eat nor drink until they kill
him. They are ready now and are waiting for your consent.' So the tribune dismissed
the young man, ordering him, 'Tell no one that you have informed me of this.'
Then he summoned two of the centurions and said, 'Get ready to leave by nine o'clock
tonight for Caesarea with two hundred soldiers, seventy horsemen, and two hundred
spearmen. Also provide mounts for Paul to ride, and take him safely to Felix the
governor.'

God our Father,
you gave your Son, Jesus Christ
to share our life on earth,
to grow in wisdom,
to toil with his hands,
and to make known the ways of your kingdom.

We pray for the community
those who work....
the unemployed....
those in education....
those in research....
those in communications....
those who maintain the life of the community....

God our Father, we give you thanks
for Christ's revelation of yourself,
his care for people,
and his joy in obedience....
for the value he gave to human labour,
the strength he promised us for service,
the call to follow in his way....
for all opportunities of work and of leisure,
all truth that we have learned,
and all discoveries that we have made....

Give us growing reverence for the truth,
and such wisdom in the use of knowledge
that your kingdom may be advanced
and your name glorified;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Righteous God, holy Redeemer,
renew your broken people with your Holy Spirit,
give them a vision of the coming dawn
and the courage to walk your narrow way,
that they may be a sign of hope to the needy
and proclaim the gracious name
of Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Prepare our hearts and lives
to be strengthened and changed by your Word,
revealed by your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen.

The opening prayer and closing sentence are adapted from _The Worship
Soucerbook_.