OREMUS: 6 July 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Jul 5 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Sunday, July 6, 2008
The Eighth Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, Lord, our great God,
for the testimonies of the prophets we bless you.
For the statutes of the law we bless you.
For the gospel of Christ and the witness of the apostles
we bless you, glorious God.
You touch us with the Holy Spirit
and do not let us escape your Word
without being caught by its promises and powerful joy.

The Lord, the God of gods, has spoken;*
 he has called the earth
   from the rising of the sun to its setting.
Out of Zion, perfect in its beauty,*
 God reveals himself in glory.
Our God will come and will not keep silence;*
 before him there is a consuming flame,
   and round about him a raging storm.
He calls the heavens and the earth from above*
 to witness the judgement of his people.
'Gather before me my loyal followers,*
 those who have made a covenant with me
   and sealed it with sacrifice.'
Let the heavens declare the rightness of his cause;*
 for God himself is judge.
Hear, O my people, and I will speak:
   'O Israel, I will bear witness against you;*
 for I am God, your God.
'I do not accuse you because of your sacrifices;*
 your offerings are always before me.
'I will take no bull-calf from your stalls,*
 nor he-goats out of your pens;
'For the beasts of the forest are mine,*
 the herds in their thousands upon the hills.
'I know every bird in the sky,*
 and the creatures of the fields are in my sight.
'If I were hungry, I would not tell you,*
 for the whole world is mine and all that is in it.
'Do you think I eat the flesh of bulls,*
 or drink the blood of goats?
'Offer to God a sacrifice of thanksgiving*
 and make good your vows to the Most High.
'Call upon me in the day of trouble;*
 I will deliver you and you shall honour me.'
But to the wicked God says:*
 'Why do you recite my statutes,
   and take my covenant upon your lips;
'Since you refuse discipline,*
 and toss my words behind your back?
'When you see a thief, you make him your friend,*
 and you cast in your lot with adulterers.
'You have loosed your lips for evil,*
 and harnessed your tongue to a lie.
'You are always speaking evil of your brother*
 and slandering your own mother's son.
'These things you have done and I kept still,*
 and you thought that I am like you.
'I have made my accusation;*
 I have put my case in order before your eyes.
'Consider this well, you who forget God,*
 lest I rend you and there be none to deliver you.
'Whoever offers me the sacrifice of thanksgiving
   honours me;*
 but to those who keep in my way
   will I show the salvation of God.'

A Song of David (1 Chronicles 29.10b-13,14b)

Blessed are you, God of Israel, for ever and ever,
for yours is the greatness, the power,
the glory, the splendour and the majesty.
Everything in heaven and on earth is yours;
yours is the kingdom, O Lord,
and you are exalted as head over all.
Riches and honour come from you
and you rule over all.
In your hand are power and might;
yours it is to give power and strength to all.
And now we give you thanks, our God,
and praise your glorious name.
For all things come from you,
and of your own have we given you.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Daniel 3:19-end]:

Nebuchadnezzar was so filled with rage against Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego
that his face was distorted. He ordered the furnace to be heated up seven times more
than was customary, and ordered some of the strongest guards in his army to bind
Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego and to throw them into the furnace of blazing fire.
So the men were bound, still wearing their tunics, their trousers, their hats, and their
other garments, and they were thrown into the furnace of blazing fire. Because the
king's command was urgent and the furnace was so overheated, the raging flames
killed the men who lifted Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego. But the three men,
Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, fell down, bound, into the furnace of blazing
fire.
Then King Nebuchadnezzar was astonished and rose up quickly. He said to his
counsellors, 'Was it not three men that we threw bound into the fire?' They answered
the king, 'True, O king.' He replied, 'But I see four men unbound, walking in the
middle of the fire, and they are not hurt; and the fourth has the appearance of a god.'
Nebuchadnezzar then approached the door of the furnace of blazing fire and said,
'Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, servants of the Most High God, come out! Come
here!' So Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego came out from the fire. And the satraps,
the prefects, the governors, and the king's counsellors gathered together and saw that
the fire had not had any power over the bodies of those men; the hair of their heads
was not singed, their tunics were not harmed, and not even the smell of fire came from
them. Nebuchadnezzar said, 'Blessed be the God of Shadrach, Meshach, and
Abednego, who has sent his angel and delivered his servants who trusted in him. They
disobeyed the king's command and yielded up their bodies rather than serve and
worship any god except their own God. Therefore I make a decree: Any people,
nation, or language that utters blasphemy against the God of Shadrach, Meshach, and
Abednego shall be torn limb from limb, and their houses laid in ruins; for there is no
other god who is able to deliver in this way.' Then the king promoted Shadrach,
Meshach, and Abednego in the province of Babylon.

HYMN
Words:
Tune:

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t698.html

SECOND READING [Mark 8:1-21]:

In those days when there was again a great crowd without anything to eat, he called
his disciples and said to them, 'I have compassion for the crowd, because they have
been with me now for three days and have nothing to eat. If I send them away hungry
to their homes, they will faint on the way and some of them have come from a great
distance.' His disciples replied, 'How can one feed these people with bread here in the
desert?' He asked them, 'How many loaves do you have?' They said, 'Seven.' Then he
ordered the crowd to sit down on the ground; and he took the seven loaves, and after
giving thanks he broke them and gave them to his disciples to distribute; and they
distributed them to the crowd. They had also a few small fish; and after blessing them,
he ordered that these too should be distributed. They ate and were filled; and they
took up the broken pieces left over, seven baskets full. Now there were about four
thousand people. And he sent them away. And immediately he got into the boat with
his disciples and went to the district of Dalmanutha.
The Pharisees came and began to argue with him, asking him for a sign from heaven,
to test him. And he sighed deeply in his spirit and said, 'Why does this generation ask
for a sign? Truly I tell you, no sign will be given to this generation.' And he left them,
and getting into the boat again, he went across to the other side.
Now the disciples had forgotten to bring any bread; and they had only one loaf with
them in the boat. And he cautioned them, saying, 'Watch out beware of the yeast of
the Pharisees and the yeast of Herod.' They said to one another, 'It is because we have
no bread.' And becoming aware of it, Jesus said to them, 'Why are you talking about
having no bread? Do you still not perceive or understand? Are your hearts hardened?
Do you have eyes, and fail to see? Do you have ears, and fail to hear? And do you not
remember? When I broke the five loaves for the five thousand, how many baskets full
of broken pieces did you collect?' They said to him, 'Twelve.' 'And the seven for the
four thousand, how many baskets full of broken pieces did you collect?' And they said
to him, 'Seven.' Then he said to them, 'Do you not yet understand?'

The Lord calls all those who are overburdened to come to him. So let us bring our
prayers to God.

We pray for the world leaders as they meet in Tokyo this week: may they be filled with
a true concern for the care of the world's environment, and the needs of its poorest
people.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for the people of Zimbabwe: may they may know peace, justice and freedom
from oppression in their land.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for doctors, nurses, health professionals and all who work with those who are
sick: may they be given the resources they need to fulfil their vocation of care.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for those who are vulnerable in our society, and especially all who suffer from
mental ill-health: may they find renewed purpose and meaning in their lives, and may
they know our support in times of need.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for the young people travelling to Australia this week in preparation for
World Youth Day: may this be for them a time of growth in faith and fellowship.

Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for those places throughout the world that are faced with violence and
conflict, especially for the peoples of the Holy Land, Iraq and Afghanistan, and for all
who are seeking to bring reconciliation: may they be led in the ways of peace and
justice.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

Heavenly Father, you are compassionate to all your creatures. We ask you to hear the
prayers that we offer through your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.
Amen.

Almighty God,
your Son Jesus Christ has taught us
that what we do for the least of your children
we do also for him:
Give us the will to serve others
as he was the servant of all,
who gave up his life and died for us,
but lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and forever.  Amen.

Prepare our hearts and lives
to be strengthened and changed by your Word,
revealed by your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen.

The opening prayer and closing sentence are adapted from _The Worship
Soucerbook_.