OREMUS: 5 July 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Jul 4 17:00:12 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Saturday, July 5, 2008

Blessed are you, Sovereign God,
ruler of all hearts,
you call us to obey you
and favor us with true freedom.
Your Son calls us to leave behind all that hinders us,
that we may fix our eyes on him
and steadfastly follow in the paths of your kingdom.

Lord, who may dwell in your tabernacle?*
 who may abide upon your holy hill?
Whoever leads a blameless life and does what is right,*
 who speaks the truth from his heart.
There is no guile upon his tongue;
   he does no evil to his friend;*
 he does not heap contempt upon his neighbour.
In his sight the wicked is rejected,*
 but he honours those who fear the Lord.
He has sworn to do no wrong*
 and does not take back his word.
He does not give his money in hope of gain,*
 nor does he take a bribe against the innocent.
Whoever does these things*
 shall never be overthrown.

Psalm 46

God is our refuge and strength,*
 a very present help in trouble;
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth be moved,*
 and though the mountains be toppled
   into the depths of the sea;
Though its waters rage and foam,*
 and though the mountains tremble at its tumult.
The Lord of hosts is with us;*
 the God of Jacob is our stronghold.
There is a river whose streams
   make glad the city of God,*
 the holy habitation of the Most High.
God is in the midst of her;
   she shall not be overthrown;*
 God shall help her at the break of day.
The nations make much ado
   and the kingdoms are shaken;*
 God has spoken and the earth shall melt away.
The Lord of hosts is with us;*
 the God of Jacob is our stronghold.
Come now and look upon the works of the Lord,*
 what awesome things he has done on earth.
It is he who makes war to cease in all the world;*
 he breaks the bow and shatters the spear
   and burns the shields with fire.
'Be still, then, and know that I am God;*
 I will be exalted among the nations;
   I will be exalted in the earth.'
The Lord of hosts is with us;*
 the God of Jacob is our stronghold.

A Song of the Righteous (Wisdom 3.1,2a,3b-8)

The souls of the righteous are in the hand of God
and no torment will ever touch them.
In the eyes of the foolish, they seem to have died;
but they are at peace.
For though, in the sight of others, they were punished,
their hope is full of immortality.
Having been disciplined a little,
they will receive great good,
because God tested them and found them worthy.
Like gold in the furnace, God tried them
and, like a sacrificial burnt offering, accepted them.
In the time of their visitation, they will shine forth
and will run like sparks through the stubble.
They will govern nations and rule over peoples
and God will reign over them for ever.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Daniel 3:19-end]:

Nebuchadnezzar was so filled with rage against Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego
that his face was distorted. He ordered the furnace to be heated up seven times more
than was customary, and ordered some of the strongest guards in his army to bind
Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego and to throw them into the furnace of blazing fire.
So the men were bound, still wearing their tunics, their trousers, their hats, and their
other garments, and they were thrown into the furnace of blazing fire. Because the
king's command was urgent and the furnace was so overheated, the raging flames
killed the men who lifted Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego. But the three men,
Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, fell down, bound, into the furnace of blazing
fire.
Then King Nebuchadnezzar was astonished and rose up quickly. He said to his
counsellors, 'Was it not three men that we threw bound into the fire?' They answered
the king, 'True, O king.' He replied, 'But I see four men unbound, walking in the
middle of the fire, and they are not hurt; and the fourth has the appearance of a god.'
Nebuchadnezzar then approached the door of the furnace of blazing fire and said,
'Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, servants of the Most High God, come out! Come
here!' So Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego came out from the fire. And the satraps,
the prefects, the governors, and the king's counsellors gathered together and saw that
the fire had not had any power over the bodies of those men; the hair of their heads
was not singed, their tunics were not harmed, and not even the smell of fire came from
them. Nebuchadnezzar said, 'Blessed be the God of Shadrach, Meshach, and
Abednego, who has sent his angel and delivered his servants who trusted in him. They
disobeyed the king's command and yielded up their bodies rather than serve and
worship any god except their own God. Therefore I make a decree: Any people,
nation, or language that utters blasphemy against the God of Shadrach, Meshach, and
Abednego shall be torn limb from limb, and their houses laid in ruins; for there is no
other god who is able to deliver in this way.' Then the king promoted Shadrach,
Meshach, and Abednego in the province of Babylon.

HYMN
Words: Henry Ernest Nichol, 1896
Tune: Message

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/w/w204.html

We've a story to tell to the nations,
that shall turn their hearts to the right,
a story of truth and sweetness,
a story of peace and light,
a story of peace and light.
Refrain:
For the darkness shall turn to dawning,
and the dawning to noonday bright;
and Christ's great kingdom shall come on earth,
the kingdom of love and light.

We've a song to be sung to the nations,
that shall lift their hearts to the Lord,
a song that shall conquer evil
and shatter the spear and sword,
and shatter the spear and sword. Refrain

We've a message to give to the nations,
that the Lord who reigns up above
has sent us his Son to save us,
and show us that God is love,
and show us that God is love. Refrain

We've a Savior to show to the nations,
who the path of sorrow has trod,
that all of the world's great peoples
might come to the truth of God,
might come to the truth of God. Refrain

SECOND READING [Acts 22:17-29]:

Paul said, 'After I had returned to Jerusalem and while I was praying in the temple, I
fell into a trance and saw Jesus saying to me, "Hurry and get out of Jerusalem quickly,
because they will not accept your testimony about me." And I said, "Lord, they
themselves know that in every synagogue I imprisoned and beat those who believed in
you. And while the blood of your witness Stephen was shed, I myself was standing by,
approving and keeping the coats of those who killed him." Then he said to me, "Go,
for I will send you far away to the Gentiles." '
Up to this point they listened to him, but then they shouted, 'Away with such a fellow
from the earth! For he should not be allowed to live.' And while they were shouting,
throwing off their cloaks, and tossing dust into the air, the tribune directed that he was
to be brought into the barracks, and ordered him to be examined by flogging, to find
out the reason for this outcry against him. But when they had tied him up with thongs,
Paul said to the centurion who was standing by, 'Is it legal for you to flog a Roman
citizen who is uncondemned?' When the centurion heard that, he went to the tribune
and said to him, 'What are you about to do? This man is a Roman citizen.' The tribune
came and asked Paul, 'Tell me, are you a Roman citizen?' And he said, 'Yes.' The
tribune answered, 'It cost me a large sum of money to get my citizenship.' Paul said,
'But I was born a citizen.' Immediately those who were about to examine him drew
back from him; and the tribune also was afraid, for he realized that Paul was a Roman
citizen and that he had bound him.

God of all time,
we bless you for the gift of this day
and for our hope in Christ Jesus.
In the midst of all that demands our attention,
free us to love you with all our hearts
and to love the world with your mercy and justice.

Let our love be genuine:
Kyrie eleison

Let our affections be tempered with holiness:
Kyrie eleison

Let our desires be shaped by the vision
of a new heaven and a new earth:
Kyrie eleison

Let our actions reflect the balance of love
for your reign in all things:
Kyrie eleison

Let our perceptions and feelings be ordered
by the hope we have in Christ:
Kyrie eleison

God of love,
teach us to walk blamelessly in your ways,
that our whole life may be established in you,
and that we may come to the place prepared for us
by your Son, Jesus Christ our Redeemer. Amen.

Help us so to know you that we may truly love you,
so to love you that we may fully serve you,
whose service is perfect freedom in Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen.

The opening prayer and closing sentence are adapted from _Book of Common
Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.

The intercession is reprinted from _THE DAILY OFFICE: A Book of Hours of
Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order
of Saint Luke. Used by permission.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com