OREMUS: 3 July 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Jul 2 17:00:00 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Thursday, July 3, 2008
Saint Thomas the Apostle

Blessed are you, almighty God,
for your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord,
who is truly risen from the dead.
We give you thanks for Thomas,
the one who admitted to his doubts,
and yet became a faithful witness to the resurrection
after touching the body of his Lord and his God.

   Happy are they who fear the Lord*
 and have great delight in his commandments!
Their descendants will be mighty in the land;*
 the generation of the upright will be blessed.
Wealth and riches will be in their house,*
 and their righteousness will last for ever.
Light shines in the darkness for the upright;*
 the righteous are merciful and full of compassion.
It is good for them to be generous in lending*
 and to manage their affairs with justice.
For they will never be shaken;*
 the righteous will be kept in everlasting remembrance.
They will not be afraid of any evil rumours;*
 their heart is right;
   they put their trust in the Lord.
Their heart is established and will not shrink,*
 until they see their desire upon their enemies.
They have given freely to the poor,*
 and their righteousness stands fast for ever;
   they will hold up their head with honour.
The wicked will see it and be angry;
   they will gnash their teeth and pine away;*
 the desires of the wicked will perish.

   Give praise, you servants of the Lord;*
 praise the name of the Lord.
Let the name of the Lord be blessed,*
 from this time forth for evermore.
>From the rising of the sun to its going down*
 let the name of the Lord be praised.
The Lord is high above all nations,*
 and his glory above the heavens.
Who is like the Lord our God,
   who sits enthroned on high,*
 but stoops to behold the heavens and the earth?
He takes up the weak out of the dust*
 and lifts up the poor from the ashes.
He sets them with the princes,*
 with the princes of his people.
He makes the woman of a childless house*
 to be a joyful mother of children.

A Song of the Wilderness (Isaiah 35.1,2b-4a,4c-6,10)

The wilderness and the dry land shall rejoice,
the desert shall blossom and burst into song.

They shall see the glory of the Lord,
the majesty of our God.

Strengthen the weary hands,
and make firm the feeble knees.

Say to the anxious, 'Be strong, fear not,
your God is coming with judgement,
coming with judgement to save you.'

Then shall the eyes of the blind be opened,
and the ears of the deaf unstopped;

Then shall the lame leap like a hart,
and the tongue of the dumb sing for joy.

For waters shall break forth in the wilderness,
and streams in the desert;

The ransomed of the Lord shall return with singing,
with everlasting joy upon their heads.

Joy and gladness shall be theirs,
and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [Isaiah 43:8-13]:

Bring forth the people who are blind, yet have eyes,
   who are deaf, yet have ears!
Let all the nations gather together,
   and let the peoples assemble.
Who among them declared this,
   and foretold to us the former things?
Let them bring their witnesses to justify them,
   and let them hear and say, 'It is true.'
You are my witnesses, says the Lord,
   and my servant whom I have chosen,
so that you may know and believe me
   and understand that I am he.
Before me no god was formed,
   nor shall there be any after me.
I, I am the Lord,
   and besides me there is no saviour.
I declared and saved and proclaimed,
   when there was no strange god among you;
   and you are my witnesses, says the Lord.
I am God, and also henceforth I am He;
   there is no one who can deliver from my hand;
   I work and who can hinder it?

HYMN
Words: Henry Alford (1810-1871), alt.
Tune: St. Botolph

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/w/w165.html

We walk by faith, and not by sight;
no gracious words we hear from him
who spoke as none e'er spoke;
but we believe him near.

We may not touch his hands and side,
nor follow where he trod;
but in his promise we rejoice;
and cry, "My Lord and God!"

Help then, O Lord, our unbelief;
and may our faith abound,
to call on you when you are near,
and seek where you are found:

that, when our life of faith is done,
in realms of clearer light
we may behold you as you are,
with full and endless sight.

SECOND READING [1 Peter 1:3-9]:

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! By his great mercy he has
given us a new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from
the dead, and into an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in
heaven for you, who are being protected by the power of God through faith for a
salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. In this you rejoice, even if now for a
little while you have had to suffer various trials, so that the genuineness of your
faith being more precious than gold that, though perishable, is tested by fire may be
found to result in praise and glory and honour when Jesus Christ is revealed. Although
you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you
believe in him and rejoice with an indescribable and glorious joy, for you are receiving
the outcome of your faith, the salvation of your souls.

Believing without seeing,
we offer our prayers to God.

For the governments and nations of our world,
that they might use all the resources at their disposal
to feed their people.
Hear us, O Lord.

For the sick and dying,
that they might know joy in the midst of sorrow,
and trust in the power of the resurrection.
Hear us, O Lord.

For all children in our church families,
that they might continue to witness to the love of Jesus Christ.
Hear us, O Lord.

For all catechumens,
as they explore their unique ministries as servants of Christ,
that they might be filled with wisdom and grace.
Hear us, O Lord.

For the Church,
that it may proclaim the faith to all who doubt.
Hear us, O Lord.

For trust in you and delight in the abundance
that already fills our lives.
Hear us, O Lord.

Almighty and eternal God,
who, for the firmer foundation of our faith,
allowed your holy apostle Thomas
to doubt the resurrection of your Son
until word and sight convinced him:
Grant to us, who have not seen, that we may also believe,
and so confess Christ as our Lord and our God;

Help us so to know you that we may truly love you,
so to love you that we may fully serve you,
whose service is perfect freedom in Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen.

The opening prayer and closing sentence are adapted from _Book of Common
Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.