OREMUS: 2 July 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Jul 1 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Blessed are you, Sovereign God,
ruler of all hearts,
you call us to obey you
and favor us with true freedom.
Your Son calls us to leave behind all that hinders us,
that we may fix our eyes on him
and steadfastly follow in the paths of your kingdom.

For God alone my soul in silence waits;*
 from him comes my salvation.
He alone is my rock and my salvation,*
 my stronghold, so that I shall not be greatly shaken.
How long will you assail me to crush me,
   all of you together,*
 as if you were a leaning fence, a toppling wall?
They seek only to bring me down
   from my place of honour;*
 lies are their chief delight.
They bless with their lips,*
 but in their hearts they curse.
For God alone my soul in silence waits;*
 truly, my hope is in him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation,*
 my stronghold, so that I shall not be shaken.
In God is my safety and my honour;*
 God is my strong rock and my refuge.
Put your trust in him always, O people,*
 pour out your hearts before him, for God is our refuge.
Those of high degree are but a fleeting breath,*
 even those of low estate cannot be trusted.
On the scales they are lighter than a breath,*
 all of them together.
Put no trust in extortion;
   in robbery take no empty pride;*
 though wealth increase, set not your heart upon it.
God has spoken once, twice have I heard it,*
 that power belongs to God.
Steadfast love is yours, O Lord,*
 for you repay everyone according to his deeds.

Psalm 63

O God, you are my God; eagerly I seek you;*
 my soul thirsts for you, my flesh faints for you,
   as in a barren and dry land where there is no water;
Therefore I have gazed upon you in your holy place,*
 that I might behold your power and your glory.
For your loving-kindness is better than life itself;*
 my lips shall give you praise.
So will I bless you as long as I live*
 and lift up my hands in your name.
My soul is content, as with marrow and fatness,*
 and my mouth praises you with joyful lips,
When I remember you upon my bed,*
 and meditate on you in the night watches.
For you have been my helper,*
 and under the shadow of your wings I will rejoice.
My soul clings to you;*
 your right hand holds me fast.

A Song of Judith (Judith 16.13-16)

I will sing a new song to my God,
for you are great and glorious,
truly strong and invincible.
May your whole creation serve you,
for you spoke and all things came to be.
You sent forth your Spirit and they were formed,
for no one can resist your voice.
Mountains and seas are stirred to their depths;
at your presence rocks shall melt like wax.
But to those who fear you,
you continue to show mercy.
No sacrifice, however fragrant, can please you,
but whoever fears the Lord
shall stand in your sight for ever.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [Daniel 2:36-45]:

Daniel said, 'This was the dream; now we will tell the king its interpretation. You, O
king, the king of kings to whom the God of heaven has given the kingdom, the
power, the might, and the glory, into whose hand he has given human beings,
wherever they live, the wild animals of the field, and the birds of the air, and whom he
has established as ruler over them all you are the head of gold. After you shall arise
another kingdom inferior to yours, and yet a third kingdom of bronze, which shall rule
over the whole earth. And there shall be a fourth kingdom, strong as iron; just as iron
crushes and smashes everything, it shall crush and shatter all these. As you saw the
feet and toes partly of potter's clay and partly of iron, it shall be a divided kingdom;
but some of the strength of iron shall be in it, as you saw the iron mixed with the clay.
As the toes of the feet were part iron and part clay, so the kingdom shall be partly
strong and partly brittle. As you saw the iron mixed with clay, so will they mix with
one another in marriage, but they will not hold together, just as iron does not mix with
clay. And in the days of those kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom that shall
never be destroyed, nor shall this kingdom be left to another people. It shall crush all
these kingdoms and bring them to an end, and it shall stand for ever; just as you saw
that a stone was cut from the mountain not by hands, and that it crushed the iron, the
bronze, the clay, the silver, and the gold. The great God has informed the king what
shall be hereafter. The dream is certain, and its interpretation trustworthy.'

HYMN
Words:  Tobias Clausnitzer (1619-1684), 1667;
trans. Catherine Winkworth (1827-1878), 1858
Tune: Liebster Jesu

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b/b134.html

Blessed Jesus, at thy word
we are gathered all to hear thee;
let our hearts and souls be stirred
now to seek and love and fear thee,
by thy teachings, true1 and holy,
drawn from earth to love thee solely.

All our knowledge, sense, and sight
lie in deepest darkness shrouded
till thy Spirit breaks our night
with the beams of truth unclouded.
thou alone to God canst win us;
thou must work all good within us.

Glorious Lord, thyself impart,
Light of Light, from God proceeding;
open thou our ears and heart,
help us by thy Spirit's pleading;
hear the cry thy church2 raises,
hear and bless our prayers and praises.

SECOND READING [Acts 21:15-26]:

After these days we got ready and started to go up to Jerusalem. Some of the disciples
from Caesarea also came along and brought us to the house of Mnason of Cyprus, an
early disciple, with whom we were to stay.
When we arrived in Jerusalem, the brothers welcomed us warmly. The next day Paul
went with us to visit James; and all the elders were present. After greeting them, he
related one by one the things that God had done among the Gentiles through his
ministry. When they heard it, they praised God. Then they said to him, 'You see,
brother, how many thousands of believers there are among the Jews, and they are all
zealous for the law. They have been told about you that you teach all the Jews living
among the Gentiles to forsake Moses, and that you tell them not to circumcise their
children or observe the customs. What then is to be done? They will certainly hear that
you have come. So do what we tell you. We have four men who are under a vow. Join
these men, go through the rite of purification with them, and pay for the shaving of
their heads. Thus all will know that there is nothing in what they have been told about
you, but that you yourself observe and guard the law. But as for the Gentiles who have
become believers, we have sent a letter with our judgement that they should abstain
from what has been sacrificed to idols and from blood and from what is strangled and
from fornication.' Then Paul took the men, and the next day, having purified himself,
he entered the temple with them, making public the completion of the days of
purification when the sacrifice would be made for each of them.

Bountiful God, you give us every good gift;
hear us as we offer our prayers to you.

We pray for our family and friends
and for all who are dear to us,
that in following you and rejoicing in your mercy,
they may share in your joy for ever.
Bountiful God,
hear our prayer.

We pray for those who are worn by their work,
for older persons and for children,
that they may know you are the strength of the weak
and the refuge of the distressed.
Bountiful God,
hear our prayer.

We pray for all who follow Christ,
that they may grow in their sense of discipleship
and calling to proclaim the Good News to others.
Bountiful God,
hear our prayer.

We pray for all in the medical professions,
that they may work wisely to promote health,
knowing that you are source of all healing.
Bountiful God,
hear our prayer.

We pray for all who are persecuted
for the sake of righteousness
and for all who are oppressed,
that they may gain the true liberation which comes from you alone.
Bountiful God,
hear our prayer.

Eternal Love,
our hearts are restless until they rest in you.
Let your glory shine on us,
that our lives may proclaim your goodness,
our work give you honour,
and our voices praise you forever;
for the sake of Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.>

Help us so to know you that we may truly love you,
so to love you that we may fully serve you,
whose service is perfect freedom in Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen.

The opening prayer and closing sentence are adapted from _Book of Common
Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.