OREMUS: 1 February 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Jan 31 21:33:44 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Friday, February 1, 2008

Blessed are you, God,
for the radiance of your Christ,
a light which has dawned for those
who walked in the shadow of death.
We sing the wonders of your saving power
and for the many gifts you bestow on us.

Lord, hear my prayer and let my cry come before you;*
 hide not your face from me in the day of my trouble.
Incline your ear to me;*
 when I call, make haste to answer me,
For my days drift away like smoke,*
 and my bones are hot as burning coals.
My heart is smitten like grass and withered,*
 so that I forget to eat my bread.
Because of the voice of my groaning*
 I am but skin and bones.
I have become like a vulture in the wilderness,*
 like an owl among the ruins.
I lie awake and groan;*
 I am like a sparrow, lonely on a house-top.
My enemies revile me all day long,*
 and those who scoff at me
   have taken an oath against me.
For I have eaten ashes for bread*
 and mingled my drink with weeping.
Because of your indignation and wrath*
 you have lifted me up and thrown me away.
My days pass away like a shadow,*
 and I wither like the grass.
But you, O Lord, endure for ever,*
 and your name from age to age.
You will arise and have compassion on Zion,
   for it is time to have mercy upon her;*
 indeed, the appointed time has come.
For your servants love her very rubble,*
 and are moved to pity even for her dust.
The nations shall fear your name, O Lord,*
 and all the kings of the earth your glory.
For the Lord will build up Zion,*
 and his glory will appear.
He will look with favour on the prayer of the homeless;*
 he will not despise their plea.
Let this be written for a future generation,*
 so that a people yet unborn may praise the Lord.
For the Lord looked down from his holy place on high;*
 from the heavens he beheld the earth;
That he might hear the groan of the captive*
 and set free those condemned to die;
That they may declare in Zion the name of the Lord,*
 and his praise in Jerusalem;
When the peoples are gathered together,*
 and the kingdoms also, to serve the Lord.
He has brought down my strength before my time;*
 he has shortened the number of my days;
And I said, 'O my God,
   do not take me away in the midst of my days;*
 your years endure throughout all generations.
'In the beginning, O Lord,
   you laid the foundations of the earth,*
 and the heavens are the work of your hands;
'They shall perish, but you will endure;
   they all shall wear out like a garment;*
 as clothing you will change them,
   and they shall be changed;
'But you are always the same,*
 and your years will never end.
'The children of your servants shall continue,*
 and their offspring shall stand fast in your sight.'

Great and Wonderful (Revelation 15.3,4)

Great and wonderful are your deeds, .
Lord God the Almighty.
Just and true are your ways, .
O ruler of the nations.
Who shall not revere and praise your name, O Lord? .
for you alone are holy.
All nations shall come and worship in your presence: .
for your just dealings have been revealed.

FIRST READING [2 Samuel 11.1 10, 13 17]:

In the spring of the year, the time when kings go out to battle, David sent Joab with
his officers and all Israel with him; they ravaged the Ammonites, and besieged Rabbah.
But David remained at Jerusalem.
It happened, late one afternoon, when David rose from his couch and was walking
about on the roof of the king's house, that he saw from the roof a woman bathing; the
woman was very beautiful. David sent someone to inquire about the woman. It was
reported, 'This is Bathsheba daughter of Eliam, the wife of Uriah the Hittite.' So
David sent messengers to fetch her, and she came to him, and he lay with her. (Now
she was purifying herself after her period.) Then she returned to her house. The
woman conceived; and she sent and told David, 'I am pregnant.'
So David sent word to Joab, 'Send me Uriah the Hittite.' And Joab sent Uriah to
David. When Uriah came to him, David asked how Joab and the people fared, and
how the war was going. Then David said to Uriah, 'Go down to your house, and wash
your feet.' Uriah went out of the king's house, and there followed him a present from
the king. But Uriah slept at the entrance of the king's house with all the servants of his
lord, and did not go down to his house. When they told David, 'Uriah did not go down
to his house', David said to Uriah, 'You have just come from a journey. Why did you
not go down to your house?' David invited him to eat and drink in his presence and
made him drunk; and in the evening he went out to lie on his couch with the servants
of his lord, but he did not go down to his house.
In the morning David wrote a letter to Joab, and sent it by the hand of Uriah. In the
letter he wrote, 'Set Uriah in the forefront of the hardest fighting, and then draw back
from him, so that he may be struck down and die.' As Joab was besieging the city, he
assigned Uriah to the place where he knew there were valiant warriors. The men of the
city came out and fought with Joab; and some of the servants of David among the
people fell. Uriah the Hittite was killed as well.

HYMN
Words: John Greenleaf Whittier, 1872
Tune: Repton

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/d/d030.html

Dear Lord and Father of mankind,
forgive our foolish ways!
Re-clothe us in our rightful mind,
in purer lives thy service find,
in deeper reverence, praise;
in deeper reverence, praise.

In simple trust like theirs who heard,
beside the Syrian sea,
the gracious calling of the Lord,
let us, like them, without a word,
rise up and follow thee;
rise up and follow thee.

O Sabbath rest by Galilee!
O calm of hills above,
where Jesus knelt to share with thee
the silence of eternity
interpreted by love!
interpreted by love!

Drop thy still dews of quietness,
till all our strivings cease;
take from our souls the strain and stress,
and let our ordered lives confess
the beauty of thy peace;
the beauty of thy peace.

Breathe through the heats of our desire
thy coolness and thy balm;
let sense be dumb, let flesh retire;
speak through the earthquake, wind, and fire,
O still, small voice of calm;
O still, small voice of calm.

SECOND READING [Mark 4.26 34]:

Jesus also said, 'The kingdom of God is as if someone would scatter seed on the
ground, and would sleep and rise night and day, and the seed would sprout and grow,
he does not know how. The earth produces of itself, first the stalk, then the head, then
the full grain in the head. But when the grain is ripe, at once he goes in with his sickle,
because the harvest has come.'
He also said, 'With what can we compare the kingdom of God, or what parable will
we use for it? It is like a mustard seed, which, when sown upon the ground, is the
smallest of all the seeds on earth; yet when it is sown it grows up and becomes the
greatest of all shrubs, and puts forth large branches, so that the birds of the air can
make nests in its shade.'
With many such parables he spoke the word to them, as they were able to hear it; he
did not speak to them except in parables, but he explained everything in private to his
disciples.

We pray for the coming of God's kingdom, saying,
Father, by your Spirit:
bring in your kingdom.

You came in Jesus to bring good news to the poor,
sight to the blind, freedom to the captives,
and salvation to your people:
anoint us with your Spirit;
rouse us to work in his name.
Father, by your Spirit,
bring in your kingdom.

Send us to bring help to the poor
and freedom to the oppressed:
Father, by your Spirit,
bring in your kingdom.

Send us to tell the world
the good news of your healing love:
Father, by your Spirit,
bring in your kingdom.

Send us to those who mourn,
to bring joy and gladness instead of grief:
Father, by your Spirit,
bring in your kingdom.

Send us to proclaim that the time is here
for you to save your people:
Father, by your Spirit,
bring in your kingdom.

God our Mover,
fill us with joy
that we may regard all of our tasks
as a gift from you,
who showers delights upon those
who hunger and thirst only for him
and not for the things of the world.
We ask this through Jesus Christ,
who followed your will to the cross. Amen.

Believing the promises of God,

May Christ, who calls us,
make us ready witnesses to him
and multiply the number of those who acknowledge you
and celebrate your holy Name. Amen.

_Celebrating the Christian Year_ (c) Canterbury Press, Norwich.