OREMUS: 31 January 2008

Steve Benner oremus at insight.rr.com
Thu Jan 31 01:36:28 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Thursday, January 31, 2008

Blessed are you, God,
for the radiance of your Christ,
a light which has dawned for those
who walked in the shadow of death.
We sing the wonders of your saving power
and for the many gifts you bestow on us.

The Lord sent Moses his servant,*
  and Aaron whom he had chosen.
They worked his signs among them,*
  and portents in the land of Ham.
He sent darkness and it grew dark;*
  but the Egyptians rebelled against his words.
He turned their waters into blood*
  and caused their fish to die.
Their land was overrun by frogs,*
  in the very chambers of their kings.
He spoke and there came swarms of insects*
  and gnats within all their borders.
He gave them hailstones instead of rain,*
  and flames of fire throughout their land.
He blasted their vines and their fig trees*
  and shattered every tree in their country.
He spoke and the locust came,*
  and young locusts without number,
Which ate up all the green plants in their land*
  and devoured the fruit of their soil.
He struck down the first-born of their land,*
  the first-fruits of all their strength.
He led out his people with silver and gold;*
  in all their tribes there was not one that stumbled.
Egypt was glad of their going,*
  because they were afraid of them.
He spread out a cloud for a covering*
  and a fire to give light in the night season.
They asked and quails appeared,*
  and he satisfied them with bread from heaven.
He opened the rock and water flowed,*
  so the river ran in the dry places.
For God remembered his holy word*
  and Abraham his servant.
So he led forth his people with gladness,*
  his chosen with shouts of joy.
He gave his people the lands of the nations,*
  and they took the fruit of others’ toil,
That they might keep his statutes*
  and observe his laws.

    Give praise, you servants of the Lord;*
  praise the name of the Lord.
Let the name of the Lord be blessed,*
  from this time forth for evermore.
 From the rising of the sun to its going down*
  let the name of the Lord be praised.
The Lord is high above all nations,*
  and his glory above the heavens.
Who is like the Lord our God,
    who sits enthroned on high,*
  but stoops to behold the heavens and the earth?
He takes up the weak out of the dust*
  and lifts up the poor from the ashes.
He sets them with the princes,*
  with the princes of his people.
He makes the woman of a childless house*
  to be a joyful mother of children.

A Song of the Bride (Isaiah 61.10,11; 62.1-3)

I will greatly rejoice in the Lord,
my soul shall exult in my God;
Who has clothed me with the garments of salvation,
and has covered me with the cloak of integrity,
As a bridegroom decks himself with a garland,
and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.
For as the earth puts forth her blossom,
and as seeds in the garden spring up,
So shall God make righteousness and praise
blossom before all the nations.
For Zion's sake I will not keep silent,
and for Jerusalem's sake I will not rest,
Until her deliverance shines out like the dawn,
and her salvation as a burning torch.
The nations shall see your deliverance,
and all rulers shall see your glory;
Then you shall be called by a new name
which the mouth of God will give.
You shall be a crown of glory in the hand of the Lord,
a royal diadem in the hand of your God.

  you sea-monsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [2 Samuel 7.18 19, 24 end]:

Then King David went in and sat before the Lord, and said, 'Who am I, O
Lord God, and what is my house, that you have brought me thus far? And yet
this was a small thing in your eyes, O Lord God; you have spoken also of
your servant's house for a great while to come. May this be instruction for
the people, O Lord God! And you established your people Israel for yourself
to be your people for ever; and you, O Lord, became their God. And now, O
Lord God, as for the word that you have spoken concerning your servant and
concerning his house, confirm it for ever; do as you have promised. Thus
your name will be magnified for ever in the saying, "The Lord of hosts is
God over Israel"; and the house of your servant David will be established
before you. For you, O Lord of hosts, the God of Israel, have made this
revelation to your servant, saying, "I will build you a house"; therefore
your servant has found courage to pray this prayer to you. And now, O Lord
God, you are God, and your words are true, and you have promised this good
thing to your servant; now therefore may it please you to bless the house
of your servant, so that it may continue for ever before you; for you, O
Lord God, have spoken, and with your blessing shall the house of your
servant be blessed for ever.'

HYMN
Words: William Cowper, 1779
Tune: Light

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/s/s254.html

Sometimes a light surprises
the Christian while he sings;
it is the Lord who rises
with healing in his wings:
when comforts are declining,
he grants the soul again
a season of clear shining,
to cheer it after rain.

In holy contemplation
we sweetly then pursue
the theme of God's salvation,
and find it ever new;
set free from present sorrow,
we cheerfully can say,
let the unknown tomorrow
bring with it what it may,

It can bring with it nothing
but he will bear us through:
who gives the lilies clothing
will clothe his people, too:
beneath the spreading heavens
no creature but is fed;
and he who feeds the ravens
will give his children bread.

Though vine nor fig tree neither
their wonted fruit should bear,
though all the fields should wither,
nor flocks nor herds be there;
yet, God the same abiding,
his praise shall tune my voice;
for, while in him confiding,
I cannot but rejoice.

SECOND READING [Mark 4.21 25]:

Jesus said, 'Is a lamp brought in to be put under the bushel basket, or
under the bed, and not on the lampstand? For there is nothing hidden,
except to be disclosed; nor is anything secret, except to come to light.
Let anyone with ears to hear listen!' And he said to them, 'Pay attention
to what you hear; the measure you give will be the measure you get, and
still more will be given you. For to those who have, more will be given;
and from those who have nothing, even what they have will be taken away.'

The Benedictus (Morning), the Magnificat (Evening), or Nunc dimittis
(Night) may follow.

Prayer:
We pray for the family of the church, for loving relationships,
and for the life of families around us, saying
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, born in poverty and soon a refugee,
be with families today who are poor
and live in hunger and want. . .
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, who grew in wisdom and in favor with God and the people
in the family of Joseph the carpenter,
bring wisdom and the presence of God
into the work and growth of families today. . .
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, who blessed marriage in the wedding at Cana,
be with those preparing for marriage
and with those who come to the end of their resources. . .
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, who healed Peter's mother in law,
bring healing to hurt relationships and families today. . .
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, who on the cross said,
'Mother, behold your son',
provide today for those who lose their families,
the bereaved and childless, orphans and widows. . .
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, who on the seashore provided food for the disciples,
bring the whole Church on earth and in heaven
into your risen presence to eat at the eternal banquet.
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Merciful God,
you brought your people out of slavery
and led them to freedom in the promised land;
feed us on our journey with the bread of heaven
that we may hunger and thirst for righteousness
until your kingdom comes;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Believing the promises of God,

May Christ, who calls us,
make us ready witnesses to him
and multiply the number of those who acknowledge you
and celebrate your holy Name. Amen.

The psalms and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from Celebrating
Common Prayer (Mowbray), © The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is used
with permission.

The canticle is from Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition,
copyright © The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

Edition), copyright © 1989, 1995 by the Division of Christian Education of
the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA. Used by
permission. All rights reserved.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing sentence are adapted
from Celebrating the Christian Year © Canterbury Press, Norwich