OREMUS: 28 January 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Jan 27 20:11:46 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Monday, January 28, 2008
Thomas Aquinas, Priest, Philosopher, Teacher of the Faith, 1274

Blessed are you, God,
for the radiance of your Christ,
a light which has dawned for those
who walked in the shadow of death.
We sing the wonders of your saving power
and for the many gifts you bestow on us.

He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High,*
 abides under the shadow of the Almighty.
He shall say to the Lord,
   'You are my refuge and my stronghold,*
 my God in whom I put my trust.'
He shall deliver you from the snare of the hunter*
 and from the deadly pestilence.
He shall cover you with his pinions,
   and you shall find refuge under his wings;*
 his faithfulness shall be a shield and buckler.
You shall not be afraid of any terror by night,*
 nor of the arrow that flies by day;
Of the plague that stalks in the darkness,*
 nor of the sickness that lays waste at midday.
A thousand shall fall at your side
   and ten thousand at your right hand,*
 but it shall not come near you.
Your eyes have only to behold*
 to see the reward of the wicked.
Because you have made the Lord your refuge,*
 and the Most High your habitation.
There shall no evil happen to you,*
 neither shall any plague come near your dwelling.
For he shall give his angels charge over you,*
 to keep you in all your ways.
They shall bear you in their hands,*
 lest you dash your foot against a stone.
You shall tread upon the lion and adder;*
 you shall trample the young lion and the serpent
   under your feet.
Because he is bound to me in love,
   therefore will I deliver him;*
 I will protect him, because he knows my name.
He shall call upon me and I will answer him;*
 I am with him in trouble,
   I will rescue him and bring him to honour.
With long life will I satisfy him,*
 and show him my salvation.

   I will give thanks to the Lord with my whole heart,*
 in the assembly of the upright, in the congregation.
Great are the deeds of the Lord!*
 they are studied by all who delight in them.
His work is full of majesty and splendour,*
 and his righteousness endures for ever.
He makes his marvellous works to be remembered;*
 the Lord is gracious and full of compassion.
He gives food to those who fear him;*
 he is ever mindful of his covenant.
He has shown his people the power of his works*
 in giving them the lands of the nations.
The works of his hands are faithfulness and justice;*
 all his commandments are sure.
They stand fast for ever and ever,*
 because they are done in truth and equity.
He sent redemption to his people;
   he commanded his covenant for ever;*
 holy and awesome is his name.
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom;*
 those who act accordingly have a good understanding;
   his praise endures for ever.

A Song of Christ's Appearing (1 Timothy 3.16;6.15,16)

Christ Jesus was revealed in the flesh
and vindicated in the spirit.
He was seen by angels
and proclaimed among the nations.
Believed in throughout the world,
he was taken up in glory.
This will be made manifest at the proper time
by the blessed and only Sovereign,
Who alone has immortality,
and dwells in unapproachable light.
To the King of kings and Lord of lords
be honour and eternal dominion. Amen.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [2 Samuel 5.1 7, 10]:

All the tribes of Israel came to David at Hebron, and said, 'Look, we are your bone
and flesh. For some time, while Saul was king over us, it was you who led out Israel
and brought it in. The Lord said to you: It is you who shall be shepherd of my people
Israel, you who shall be ruler over Israel.' So all the elders of Israel came to the king
at Hebron; and King David made a covenant with them at Hebron before the Lord,
and they anointed David king over Israel. David was thirty years old when he began to
reign, and he reigned for forty years. At Hebron he reigned over Judah for seven years
and six months; and at Jerusalem he reigned over all Israel and Judah for thirty-three
years.
The king and his men marched to Jerusalem against the Jebusites, the inhabitants of the
land, who said to David, 'You will not come in here, even the blind and the lame will
turn you back' thinking, 'David cannot come in here.' Nevertheless, David took the
stronghold of Zion, which is now the city of David. And David became greater and
greater, for the Lord, the God of hosts, was with him.

HYMN
Words: Thomas Aquinas, thirteenth century;
trans. Edward Caswall, 1848
Tune: Pange lingua, St. Thomas (Wade), Grafton, Alleluia, dulce carmen
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/n/n130.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/n
/n130.html

Now, my tongue, the mystery telling
of the glorious Body sing,
and the Blood, all price excelling,
which the gentiles' Lord and King,
in a Virgin's womb once dwelling,
shed for this world's ransoming.

Given for us, and condescending,
to be born for us below,
he, with men in converse blending,
dwelt the seed of truth to sow,
till he closed with wondrous ending
his most patient life of woe.

That last night, at supper lying,
'mid the twelve, his chosen band,
Jesus, with the law complying,
keeps the feast its rites demand;
then, more precious food supplying,
gives himself with his own hand.

Word-made-flesh true bread he maketh
by his word his Flesh to be;
wine his Blood; which whoso taketh
must from carnal thoughts be free;
faith alone, though sight forsaketh,
shows true hearts the mystery.

Therefore we, before him bending,
this great Sacrament revere;
types and shadows have their ending,
for the newer rite is here;
faith, our outward sense befriending,
makes our inward vision clear.

Glory let us give, and blessing
to the Father, and the Son,
honor, might and praise addressing,
while eternal ages run;
ever too his love confessing,
who from both with both is one.

SECOND READING [Mark 3.22 30]:

And the scribes who came down from Jerusalem said, 'He has Beelzebul, and by the
ruler of the demons he casts out demons.' And Jesus called them to him, and spoke to
them in parables, 'How can Satan cast out Satan? If a kingdom is divided against itself,
that kingdom cannot stand. And if a house is divided against itself, that house will not
be able to stand. And if Satan has risen up against himself and is divided, he cannot
stand, but his end has come. But no one can enter a strong man's house and plunder
his property without first tying up the strong man; then indeed the house can be
plundered.
'Truly I tell you, people will be forgiven for their sins and whatever blasphemies they
utter; but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit can never have forgiveness, but
is guilty of an eternal sin'  for they had said, 'He has an unclean spirit.'

O creator past all telling,
you have appointed from the treasures of your wisdom
the hierarchies of angels,
disposing them in wondrous order
above the bright heavens,
and have so beautifully set out all parts of the universe.

You we call the true fount of wisdom
and the noble origin of all things.
Be pleased to shed
on the darkness of mind in which I was born,
The twofold beam of your light
and warmth to dispel my ignorance and sin.

You make eloquent the tongues of children.
Then instruct my speech
and touch my lips with graciousness.
Make me keen to understand, quick to learn,
able to remember;
make me delicate to interpret and ready to speak.

Guide my going in and going forward,
lead home my going forth.
You are true God and true man,
and live for ever and ever. Amen.

O God,
you blessed your servant Thomas Aquinas
with singular gifts of wisdom and insight,
that your people might love with their understanding
what you give them to know by faith.
Grant us the freedom to embrace your Church's teachings
and the obedience to deepen its faith,
that our knowledge may be perfected in worship
and our faith may be fulfilled in love;

Believing the promises of God,

May Christ, who calls us,
make us ready witnesses to him
and multiply the number of those who acknowledge you
and celebrate your holy Name. Amen.

_Celebrating the Christian Year_ (c) Canterbury Press, Norwich.

The long prayer is by Thomas Aquinas and the second collect is from _For All the
Saints_, (c) General
Synod of the Anglican Church of Canada, 1994.

In the thirteenth century, when Thomas Aquinas lived, the works of Aristotle,
largely forgotten in Western Europe, began to be available again, partly from
Eastern European sources and partly from Moslem Arab sources in Africa and
Spain. These works offered a new and exciting way of looking at the world.
Many enthusiastic students of Aristotle adopted him quite frankly as as an
alternative to Christianity. The response of many Christians was to denounce
Aristotle as an enemy of the Christian Faith. A third approach was that of those
who tried to hold both Christian and Aristotelian views side by side with no
attempt to reconcile the two. Aquinas had a fourth approach. While remaining
a Christian, he immersed himself in the ideas of Aristotle, and then undertook
to explain Christian ideas and beliefs in language that would make sense to
disciples of Aristotle. At the time, this seemed like a very dangerous and
radical idea, and Aquinas spent much of his life living on the edge of
ecclesiastical approval. His success can be measured by the prevalence today of
the notion that of course all Christian scholars in the Middle Ages were
followers of Aristotle.
Aristotle is no longer the latest intellectual fashion, but Aquinas's insistence
that the Christian scholar must be prepared to meet other scholars on their own
ground, to become familiar with their viewpoints, to argue from their premises,
has been a permanent and valuable contribution to Christian thought. [James
Kiefer, abridged]