OREMUS: 27 January 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Jan 26 21:39:06 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Sunday, January 27, 2008
The Third Sunday after Epiphany

Blessed are you, God,
for the radiance of your Christ,
a light which has dawned for those
who walked in the shadow of death.
We sing the wonders of your saving power
and for the many gifts you bestow on us.

The Lord is my light and my salvation;
   whom then shall I fear?*
 the Lord is the strength of my life;
   of whom then shall I be afraid?
When evildoers came upon me to eat up my flesh,*
 it was they, my foes and my adversaries,
   who stumbled and fell.
Though an army should encamp against me,*
 yet my heart shall not be afraid;
And though war should rise up against me,*
 yet will I put my trust in him.
One thing have I asked of the Lord;
   one thing I seek;*
 that I may dwell in the house of the Lord
   all the days of my life;
To behold the fair beauty of the Lord*
 and to seek him in his temple.
For in the day of trouble
   he shall keep me safe in his shelter;*
 he shall hide me in the secrecy of his dwelling
   and set me high upon a rock.
Even now he lifts up my head*
 above my enemies round about me;
Therefore I will offer in his dwelling an oblation
   with sounds of great gladness;*
 I will sing and make music to the Lord.
Hearken to my voice, O Lord, when I call;*
 have mercy on me and answer me.
You speak in my heart and say, 'Seek my face.'*
 Your face, Lord, will I seek.
Hide not your face from me,*
 nor turn away your servant in displeasure.
You have been my helper;
   cast me not away;*
 do not forsake me, O God of my salvation.
Though my father and my mother forsake me,*
 the Lord will sustain me.
Show me your way, O Lord;*
 lead me on a level path, because of my enemies.
Deliver me not into the hand of my adversaries,*
 for false witnesses have risen up against me,
   and also those who speak malice.
What if I had not believed
   that I should see the goodness of the Lord*
 in the land of the living!
O tarry and await the Lord's pleasure;
   be strong and he shall comfort your heart;*
 wait patiently for the Lord.

Psalm 30

I will exalt you, O Lord,
   because you have lifted me up*
 and have not let my enemies triumph over me.
O Lord my God, I cried out to you,*
 and you restored me to health.
You brought me up, O Lord, from the dead;*
 you restored my life as I was going down to the grave.
Sing to the Lord, you servants of his;*
 give thanks for the remembrance of his holiness.
For his wrath endures but the twinkling of an eye,*
 his favour for a lifetime.
Weeping may spend the night,*
 but joy comes in the morning.
While I felt secure, I said,
   'I shall never be disturbed.*
 You, Lord, with your favour,
   made me as strong as the mountains.'
Then you hid your face,*
 and I was filled with fear.
I cried to you, O Lord;*
 I pleaded with the Lord, saying,
'What profit is there in my blood,
   if I go down to the Pit?*
 will the dust praise you or declare your faithfulness?
'Hear, O Lord, and have mercy upon me;*
 O Lord, be my helper.'
You have turned my wailing into dancing;*
 you have put off my sack-cloth and clothed me with joy;
Therefore my heart sings to you without ceasing;*
 O Lord my God, I will give you thanks for ever.

A Song of the New Jerusalem (Isaiah 60.1-3,11a,18,19,14b)

Arise, shine out, for your light has come,
the glory of the Lord is rising upon you.
Though night still covers the earth,
and darkness the peoples;
Above you the Holy One arises,
and above you God's glory appears.
The nations will come to your light,
and kings to your dawning brightness.
Your gates will lie open continually,
shut neither by day nor by night.
The sound of violence shall be heard no longer in your land,
or ruin and devastation within your borders.
You will call your walls, Salvation,
and your gates, Praise.
No more will the sun give you daylight,
nor moonlight shine upon you;
But the Lord will be your everlasting light,
your God will be your splendour.
For you shall be called the city of God,
the dwelling of the Holy One of Israel.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Ecclesiastes 3:1-11]:

For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:
a time to be born, and a time to die;
a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;
a time to kill, and a time to heal;
a time to break down, and a time to build up;
a time to weep, and a time to laugh;
a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
a time to throw away stones, and a time to gather stones together;
a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
a time to seek, and a time to lose;
a time to keep, and a time to throw away;
a time to tear, and a time to sew;
a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
a time to love, and a time to hate;
a time for war, and a time for peace.

What gain have the workers from their toil? I have seen the business that God has
given to everyone to be busy with. He has made everything suitable for its time;
moreover, he has put a sense of past and future into their minds, yet they cannot find
out what God has done from the beginning to the end.

HYMN
Words: Shirley Erena Murray (c) information at the link below
Tune: Donne secours

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/g/g199.html

God of all time, all seasons of our living,
source of our spark, protector of our flame,
blazing before our birth, beyond our dying--
God of all time, we come to sing your name.

Here in this place, where others have been building,
we come to claim the legacy of faith;
take, in our turn, the telling of your story;
and, though we tremble, speak your hope, your truth.

Spirit, who draws our fragile selves together;
Spirit, who turns a stranger to a friend:
be at the table where we greet each other;
be in the peace we pass from hand to hand.

Let us not die from poverty of caring;
let us not starve, where love is to be shared.
Come, break us open to receive your healing;
your broken body be our wine and bread.

SECOND READING [1 Peter 1:3-12]:

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! By his great mercy he has
given us a new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from
the dead, and into an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in
heaven for you, who are being protected by the power of God through faith for a
salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. In this you rejoice, even if now for a
little while you have had to suffer various trials, so that the genuineness of your
faith being more precious than gold that, though perishable, is tested by fire may be
found to result in praise and glory and honour when Jesus Christ is revealed. Although
you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you
believe in him and rejoice with an indescribable and glorious joy, for you are receiving
the outcome of your faith, the salvation of your souls.
Concerning this salvation, the prophets who prophesied of the grace that was to be
yours made careful search and inquiry, inquiring about the person or time that the
Spirit of Christ within them indicated, when it testified in advance to the sufferings
destined for Christ and the subsequent glory. It was revealed to them that they were
serving not themselves but you, in regard to the things that have now been announced
to you through those who brought you good news by the Holy Spirit sent from
heaven things into which angels long to look!

Mighty God of mercy, we thank you for the resurrection
dawn bringing the glory of our risen Lord who makes every
day new. Especially we thank you for
     the beauty of your creation...
                         (We thank you, Lord.)
     the new creation in Christ and all gifts of healing and forgiveness...
     the sustaining love of family and friends...
     the fellowship of faith in your church...

Merciful God of might, renew this weary world, heal the
hurts of all your children, and bring about your peace in
Christ Jesus, the living Lord. Especially we pray for
     those who govern nations of the world...
                         (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     the people in countries ravaged by strife or warfare ...
     all who work for peace and international harmony...
     all who strive to save the earth from destruction...
     the
     church of Jesus Christ in every land...

Give us grace, O Lord, to answer readily
the call of our Savior Jesus Christ
and proclaim to all people
the Good News of his salvation,
that we and the whole world may perceive
 the glory of his marvelous works;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Believing the promises of God,

May Christ, who calls us,
make us ready witnesses to him
and multiply the number of those who acknowledge you
and celebrate your holy Name. Amen.

_Celebrating the Christian Year_ (c) Canterbury Press, Norwich.