OREMUS: 22 January 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Jan 21 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Tuesday, January 22, 2008
Vincent of Saragossa, Deacon, first Martyr of Spain, 304

in the One you have declared
to be your servant and your Son.
Blessed are you, O God,
in those called to be disciples of Jesus Christ.
Blessed are you, O God,
in your Creator Spirit
who calls us to renew and fashion our lives
into a joyful announcement of your good news.

O God, the heathen have come into your inheritance;
   they have profaned your holy temple;*
 they have made Jerusalem a heap of rubble.
They have given the bodies of your servants
   as food for the birds of the air,*
 and the flesh of your faithful ones
   to the beasts of the field.
They have shed their blood like water
   on every side of Jerusalem,*
 and there was no one to bury them.
We have become a reproach to our neighbours,*
 an object of scorn and derision to those around us.
How long will you be angry, O Lord?*
 will your fury blaze like fire for ever?
Pour out your wrath upon the heathen
   who have not known you*
 and upon the kingdoms
   that have not called upon your name.
For they have devoured Jacob*
 and made his dwelling a ruin.
Remember not our past sins;
   let your compassion be swift to meet us;*
 for we have been brought very low.
Help us, O God our Saviour, for the glory of your name;*
 deliver us and forgive us our sins, for your name's sake.<!-- v10
     [
Why should the heathen say, 'Where is their God?'*
 Let it be known among the heathen and in our sight
   that you avenge the shedding
   of your servants' blood.]
Let the sorrowful sighing of the prisoners
   come before you,*
 and by your great might
   spare those who are condemned to die.<!-- v12
     [
May the revilings with which
   they reviled you, O Lord,*
 return sevenfold into their bosoms.]
We are your people and the sheep of your pasture;*
 we will give you thanks for ever
   and show forth your praise from age to age.

Psalm 99

The Lord is king; let the people tremble;*
 he is enthroned upon the cherubim; let the earth shake.
The Lord is great in Zion;*
 he is high above all peoples.
Let them confess his name, which is great and awesome;*
 he is the Holy One.
'O mighty King, lover of justice,
   you have established equity;*
 you have executed justice and righteousness in Jacob.'
Proclaim the greatness of the Lord our God
   and fall down before his footstool;*
 he is the Holy One.
Moses and Aaron among his priests,
   and Samuel among those who call upon his name,*
 they called upon the Lord and he answered them.
He spoke to them out of the pillar of cloud;*
 they kept his testimonies
   and the decree that he gave them.
'O Lord our God, you answered them indeed;*
 you were a God who forgave them,
   yet punished them for their evil deeds.'
Proclaim the greatness of the Lord our God
   and worship him upon his holy hill;*
 for the Lord our God is the Holy One.

A Song of the Blessed (Matthew 5.3-10)

Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn,
for they shall be comforted.
Blessed are the meek,
for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger
and thirst after righteousness,
for they shall be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful,
for they shall obtain mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they shall see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they shall be called children of God.
Blessed are those who suffer persecution
for righteousness' sake,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Rejoice and be glad
for you are the light of the world,
and great is your reward in heaven.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [1 Samuel 16.1 13]:

The Lord said to Samuel, 'How long will you grieve over Saul? I have rejected him
from being king over Israel. Fill your horn with oil and set out; I will send you to Jesse
the Bethlehemite, for I have provided for myself a king among his sons.' Samuel said,
'How can I go? If Saul hears of it, he will kill me.' And the Lord said, 'Take a heifer
with you, and say, "I have come to sacrifice to the Lord." Invite Jesse to the sacrifice,
and I will show you what you shall do; and you shall anoint for me the one whom I
name to you.' Samuel did what the Lord commanded, and came to Bethlehem. The
elders of the city came to meet him trembling, and said, 'Do you come peaceably?' He
said, 'Peaceably; I have come to sacrifice to the Lord; sanctify yourselves and come
with me to the sacrifice.' And he sanctified Jesse and his sons and invited them to the
sacrifice.
When they came, he looked on Eliab and thought, 'Surely the Lord's anointed is now
before the Lord.' But the Lord said to Samuel, 'Do not look on his appearance or on
the height of his stature, because I have rejected him; for the Lord does not see as
mortals see; they look on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.'
Then Jesse called Abinadab, and made him pass before Samuel. He said, 'Neither has
the Lord chosen this one.' Then Jesse made Shammah pass by. And he said, 'Neither
has the Lord chosen this one.' Jesse made seven of his sons pass before Samuel, and
Samuel said to Jesse, 'The Lord has not chosen any of these.' Samuel said to Jesse,
'Are all your sons here?' And he said, 'There remains yet the youngest, but he is
keeping the sheep.' And Samuel said to Jesse, 'Send and bring him; for we will not sit
down until he comes here.' He sent and brought him in. Now he was ruddy, and had
beautiful eyes, and was handsome. The Lord said, 'Rise and anoint him; for this is the
one.' Then Samuel took the horn of oil, and anointed him in the presence of his
brothers; and the spirit of the Lord came mightily upon David from that day forward.
Samuel then set out and went to Ramah.

HYMN
Words: Charles Erskine Clarke, 1925
Tune: David

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o098.html

O, David was a shepherd lad,
and guarded well the sheep;
by night and day, good times or bad,
his watch he used to keep.
But David's less than David's Son,
though a Shepherd too is he;
through all the world his pastures run,
and of his flock are we.

O, David was a shepherd lad,
and more he dared to do:
Goliath all in armor clad
with sling and stone he slew.
But David's Son, more daring yet,
put weapons all away;
all evil things with goodness met,
and stronger was than they.

O, David was a shepherd lad,
and a kingdom he attained;
and gold and glory great he had,
and forty years he reigned.
But David's Son is rich in love,
and reigns eternally;
for King he is in heaven above,
and on the earth shall be.

SECOND READING [Mark 2.23 end]:

One sabbath Jesus was going through the cornfields; and as they made their way his
disciples began to pluck heads of grain. The Pharisees said to him, 'Look, why are
they doing what is not lawful on the sabbath?' And he said to them, 'Have you never
read what David did when he and his companions were hungry and in need of food?
He entered the house of God, when Abiathar was high priest, and ate the bread of the
Presence, which it is not lawful for any but the priests to eat, and he gave some to his
companions.' Then he said to them, 'The sabbath was made for humankind, and not
humankind for the sabbath; so the Son of Man is lord even of the sabbath.'

O God our Salvation, you are near to all who call:
hear and answer our prayers.

You are a refuge for the oppressed;
be our stronghold in troubled times.

You stand at the right hand of the needy;
rescue all who are wrongfully condemned.

You raise the poor from the dust;
restore dignity to those who seek refuge.

You give food to the hungry;
uphold the cause of the destitute.

You watch over those who wander and sustain the widow;
provide protection in the face of danger.

You heal the brokenhearted;
bind up the wounds of all who suffer.

You call us to be your Church,
send us out to do your will in the world.

You are a mighty God who loves justice;
establish your equity for all people.

Praise be to you, O Lord;
you hear and answer our prayers.

O Lord our king, exalted on high,
yet stooping to the measure of our lowliness,
you have called us to be holy for you are holy:
as in our worship we confess your glory,
so may our lives be directed in righteousness;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

God of boundless compassion,
who made your holy deacon Vincent
a worthy partner in the sufferings of Christ,
strengthen us to endure all adversity
with invincible and steadfast faith,
that our assurance of your saving justice
may vanquish all dangers that assault our bodies
and all wounds that would harm our souls;

Believing the promises of God,

Equip us, your Church, to serve the human family
as a life-giving leaven,
by drawing men and women
into a new birth as your beloved children,

The psalms, the first collect and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from
_Celebrating Common Prayer_ (Mowbray), (c) The Society of Saint
Francis 1992, which is used with permission.

_Celebrating the Christian Year_ (c) Canterbury Press, Norwich.

The intercession is adapted by Stephen Benner from a prayer by Karen Moshier Shenk and
Rebecca J. Slough, in _MPH Bulletin_, 10/13/85, as adapted in _Words
for Worship_; used by permission of Herald Press.

The title line above states almost all that is certainly known about Vincent, the earliest
Spanish martyr whose name is known to us. It is said that he was brought to trial along
with his bishop Valerius, and that since Valerius had a speech impediment, Vincent spoke
for both, and that his fearless manner so angered the governor that Vincent was tortured
and killed, though his aged bishop was only exiled. [James Kiefer]