OREMUS: 21 January 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Jan 20 18:18:00 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Monday, January 21, 2008

in the One you have declared
to be your servant and your Son.
Blessed are you, O God,
in those called to be disciples of Jesus Christ.
Blessed are you, O God,
in your Creator Spirit
who calls us to renew and fashion our lives
into a joyful announcement of your good news.

Hear, O Shepherd of Israel, leading Joseph like a flock;*
 shine forth, you that are enthroned upon the cherubim.
In the presence of Ephraim, Benjamin and Manasseh,*
 stir up your strength and come to help us.
Restore us, O God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.
O Lord God of hosts,*
 how long will you be angered
   despite the prayers of your people?
You have fed them with the bread of tears;*
 you have given them bowls of tears to drink.
You have made us the derision of our neighbours,*
 and our enemies laugh us to scorn.
Restore us, O God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.
You have brought a vine out of Egypt;*
 you cast out the nations and planted it.
You prepared the ground for it;*
 it took root and filled the land.
The mountains were covered by its shadow*
 and the towering cedar trees by its boughs.
You stretched out its tendrils to the Sea*
 and its branches to the River.
Why have you broken down its wall,*
 so that all who pass by pluck off its grapes?
The wild boar of the forest has ravaged it,*
 and the beasts of the field have grazed upon it.
Turn now, O God of hosts, look down from heaven;
   behold and tend this vine;*
 preserve what your right hand has planted.
They burn it with fire like rubbish;*
 at the rebuke of your countenance let them perish.
Let your hand be upon the man of your right hand,*
 the son of man you have made so strong for yourself.
And so will we never turn away from you;*
 give us life, that we may call upon your name.
Restore us, O Lord God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.

A Song of Christ's Appearing (1 Timothy 3.16;6.15,16)

Christ Jesus was revealed in the flesh
and vindicated in the spirit.
He was seen by angels
and proclaimed among the nations.
Believed in throughout the world,
he was taken up in glory.
This will be made manifest at the proper time
by the blessed and only Sovereign,
Who alone has immortality,
and dwells in unapproachable light.
To the King of kings and Lord of lords
be honour and eternal dominion. Amen.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [1 Samuel 15.16 23]:

Samuel said to Saul, 'Stop! I will tell you what the Lord said to me last night.' He
replied, 'Speak.'
Samuel said, 'Though you are little in your own eyes, are you not the head of the
tribes of Israel? The Lord anointed you king over Israel. And the Lord sent you on a
mission, and said, "Go, utterly destroy the sinners, the Amalekites, and fight against
them until they are consumed." Why then did you not obey the voice of the Lord?
Why did you swoop down on the spoil, and do what was evil in the sight of the Lord?'
Saul said to Samuel, 'I have obeyed the voice of the Lord, I have gone on the mission
on which the Lord sent me, I have brought Agag the king of Amalek, and I have
utterly destroyed the Amalekites. But from the spoil the people took sheep and cattle,
the best of the things devoted to destruction, to sacrifice to the Lord your God in
Gilgal.' And Samuel said,
'Has the Lord as great delight in burnt-offerings and sacrifices,
   as in obedience to the voice of the Lord?
Surely, to obey is better than sacrifice,
   and to heed than the fat of rams.
For rebellion is no less a sin than divination,
   and stubbornness is like iniquity and idolatry.
Because you have rejected the word of the Lord,
   he has also rejected you from being king.'

HYMN
Words:  Henry Williams Baker, 1861
Tune: Ravenshaw

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l464.html

Lord, thy Word abideth,
and our footsteps guideth;
who its truth believeth
light and joy receiveth.

When our foes are near us,
then thy Word doth cheer us,
Word of consolation,
message of salvation.

When the storms are o'er us,
and dark clouds before us,
then its light directeth,
and our way protecteth.

Who can tell the pleasure,
who recount the treasure,
by thy Word imparted
to the simple-hearted?

Word of mercy, giving
succor to the living;
word of life, supplying
comfort to the dying!

O that we, discerning,
its most holy learning,
Lord, may love and fear thee,
evermore be near thee!

SECOND READING [Mark 2.18 22]:

Now John's disciples and the Pharisees were fasting; and people came and said to him,
'Why do John's disciples and the disciples of the Pharisees fast, but your disciples do
not fast?' Jesus said to them, 'The wedding-guests cannot fast while the bridegroom is
with them, can they? As long as they have the bridegroom with them, they cannot fast.
The days will come when the bridegroom is taken away from them, and then they will
fast on that day.
'No one sews a piece of unshrunk cloth on an old cloak; otherwise, the patch pulls
away from it, the new from the old, and a worse tear is made. And no one puts new
wine into old wineskins; otherwise, the wine will burst the skins, and the wine is lost,
and so are the skins; but one puts new wine into fresh wineskins.'

Creator and Sustainer of life, God,
who ever calls us back
to his ways of justice and peace:
we thank you for the gift of the land,
for its beauty, and its resources,
and the rich heritage we enjoy.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

And so we pray:
for those who make decisions about our land and its resources;
for those who work on the land and sea,
in our cities, and in commerce and industry;
for artists, scientists, politicians, and visionaries.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

We thank you for giving us life, and for giving us our life together.
We pray for all who through their own or others' actions
are deprived of fullness of life;
for all who know sickness, disability, and an untimely death;
for all who devote their lives to ministering to the needs of others.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

Give us reverence for life in this, your created world.
May we reflect the goodness of your creation
in the society we create with and for one another.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

Nothing that is worth doing can be achieved in our lifetimes;
therefore we must be saved by hope.
Nothing which is true or beautiful or good makes
complete sense in any immediate context of history;
therefore we must be saved by faith.
Nothing we do, however virtuous, can be accomplished alone;
therefore we are saved by love.
Hope, faith, and love are what save us,
all revealed in Jesus Christ. Amen.

Believing the promises of God,

Equip us, your Church, to serve the human family
as a life-giving leaven,
by drawing men and women
into a new birth as your beloved children,

_Celebrating the Christian Year_ (c) Canterbury Press, Norwich.

The intercession is by David Bromell; the collect is by Reinhold Niebuhr and Stephen
Benner.