OREMUS: 20 January 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Jan 19 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Sunday, January 20, 2008
The Second Sunday after Epiphany

in the One you have declared
to be your servant and your Son.
Blessed are you, O God,
in those called to be disciples of Jesus Christ.
Blessed are you, O God,
in your Creator Spirit
who calls us to renew and fashion our lives
into a joyful announcement of your good news.

How dear to me is your dwelling, O Lord of hosts!*
 My soul has a desire and longing
   for the courts of the Lord;
   my heart and my flesh rejoice in the living God.
The sparrow has found her a house
   and the swallow a nest
   where she may lay her young;*
 by the side of your altars, O Lord of hosts,
   my King and my God.
Happy are they who dwell in your house!*
 they will always be praising you.
Happy are the people whose strength is in you!*
 whose hearts are set on the pilgrims' way.
Those who go through the desolate valley
   will find it a place of springs,*
 for the early rains have covered it with pools of water.
They will climb from height to height,*
 and the God of gods will reveal himself in Zion.
Lord God of hosts, hear my prayer;*
 hearken, O God of Jacob.
Behold our defender, O God;*
 and look upon the face of your anointed.
For one day in your courts
   is better than a thousand in my own room,*
 and to stand at the threshold of the house of my God
   than to dwell in the tents of the wicked.
For the Lord God is both sun and shield;*
 he will give grace and glory;
No good thing will the Lord withhold*
 from those who walk with integrity.
O Lord of hosts,*
 happy are they who put their trust in you!

Psalm 85

You have been gracious to your land, O Lord,*
 you have restored the good fortune of Jacob.
You have forgiven the iniquity of your people*
 and blotted out all their sins.
You have withdrawn all your fury*
 and turned yourself from your wrathful indignation.
Restore us then, O God our Saviour;*
 let your anger depart from us.
Will you be displeased with us for ever?*
 will you prolong your anger from age to age?
Will you not give us life again,*
 that your people may rejoice in you?
Show us your mercy, O Lord,*
 and grant us your salvation.
I will listen to what the Lord God is saying,*
 for he is speaking peace to his faithful people
   and to those who turn their hearts to him.
Truly, his salvation is very near to those who fear him,*
 that his glory may dwell in our land.
Mercy and truth have met together;*
 righteousness and peace have kissed each other.
Truth shall spring up from the earth,*
 and righteousness shall look down from heaven.
The Lord will indeed grant prosperity,*
 and our land will yield its increase.
Righteousness shall go before him,*
 and peace shall be a pathway for his feet.

A Song of the New Jerusalem (Isaiah 60.1-3,11a,18,19,14b)

Arise, shine out, for your light has come,
the glory of the Lord is rising upon you.
Though night still covers the earth,
and darkness the peoples;
Above you the Holy One arises,
and above you God's glory appears.
The nations will come to your light,
and kings to your dawning brightness.
Your gates will lie open continually,
shut neither by day nor by night.
The sound of violence shall be heard no longer in your land,
or ruin and devastation within your borders.
You will call your walls, Salvation,
and your gates, Praise.
No more will the sun give you daylight,
nor moonlight shine upon you;
But the Lord will be your everlasting light,
your God will be your splendour.
For you shall be called the city of God,
the dwelling of the Holy One of Israel.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Ezekiel 2:1-3:4]:

The voice said to me: O mortal, stand up on your feet, and I will speak with you. And
when he spoke to me, a spirit entered into me and set me on my feet; and I heard him
speaking to me. He said to me, Mortal, I am sending you to the people of Israel, to a
nation of rebels who have rebelled against me; they and their ancestors have
transgressed against me to this very day. The descendants are impudent and stubborn.
I am sending you to them, and you shall say to them, 'Thus says the Lord God.'
Whether they hear or refuse to hear (for they are a rebellious house), they shall know
that there has been a prophet among them. And you, O mortal, do not be afraid of
them, and do not be afraid of their words, though briers and thorns surround you and
you live among scorpions; do not be afraid of their words, and do not be dismayed at
their looks, for they are a rebellious house. You shall speak my words to them,
whether they hear or refuse to hear; for they are a rebellious house.
But you, mortal, hear what I say to you; do not be rebellious like that rebellious house;
open your mouth and eat what I give you. I looked, and a hand was stretched out to
me, and a written scroll was in it. He spread it before me; it had writing on the front
and on the back, and written on it were words of lamentation and mourning and
woe.
The voice said to me, O mortal, eat what is offered to you; eat this scroll, and go,
speak to the house of Israel. So I opened my mouth, and he gave me the scroll to eat.
He said to me, Mortal, eat this scroll that I give you and fill your stomach with it. Then
I ate it; and in my mouth it was as sweet as honey.
The voice said to me: Mortal, go to the house of Israel and speak my very words to
them.

HYMN
Words: Frances Ridley Havergal, 1872
Tune: Melcombe, Maryton, Holley, Hursley

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l440.html

Lord, speak to me that I may speak
in living echoes of thy tone;
as thou has sought, so let me seek
thine erring children lost and lone.

O lead me, Lord, that I may lead
the wandering and the wavering feet;
O feed me, Lord, that I may feed
thy hungering ones with manna sweet.

O strengthen me, that while I stand
firm on the rock, and strong in thee,
I may stretch out a loving hand
to wrestlers with the troubled sea.

O teach me, Lord, that I may teach
the precious things thou dost impart;
and wing my words, that they may reach
the hidden depths of many a heart.

O give thine own sweet rest to me,
that I may speak with soothing power
a word in season, as from thee,
to weary ones in needful hour.

O fill me with thy fullness, Lord,
until my very heart overflow
in kindling thought and glowing word,
thy love to tell, thy praise to show.

O use me, Lord, use even me,
just as thou wilt, and when, and where,
until thy blessŠd face I see,
thy rest, thy joy, thy glory share.

SECOND READING [Galatians 1:11-24]:

For I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that the gospel that was proclaimed by
me is not of human origin; for I did not receive it from a human source, nor was I
taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ.
You have heard, no doubt, of my earlier life in Judaism. I was violently persecuting the
church of God and was trying to destroy it. I advanced in Judaism beyond many
among my people of the same age, for I was far more zealous for the traditions of my
ancestors. But when God, who had set me apart before I was born and called me
through his grace, was pleased to reveal his Son to me, so that I might proclaim him
among the Gentiles, I did not confer with any human being, nor did I go up to
Jerusalem to those who were already apostles before me, but I went away at once into
Arabia, and afterwards I returned to Damascus.
Then after three years I did go up to Jerusalem to visit Cephas and stayed with him for
fifteen days; but I did not see any other apostle except James the Lord's brother. In
what I am writing to you, before God, I do not lie! Then I went into the regions of
Syria and Cilicia, and I was still unknown by sight to the churches of Judea that are in
Christ; they only heard it said, 'The one who formerly was persecuting us is now
proclaiming the faith he once tried to destroy.' And they glorified God because of me.

We lift our voices in prayers of praise, holy God, for
you have lifted us to new life in Jesus Christ, and your
blessings come in generous measure. Especially we thank
you for
     the privilege of worship and service in your name...
                   (We thank you, Lord.)
     the good news of the gospel of Jesus Christ...
     food and drink to share in the Lord's name...
     our calling to discipleship...

We hold up before you human needs, God of compassion, for
you have come to us in Jesus Christ and shared our life
so we may share his resurrection. Especially we pray for
     the healing of those who are sick...
                    (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     the comfort of the dying...
     the renewal of those in despair...
     the Spirit's power in the church...
     the

God of pilgrims,
teach us to recognize your dwelling place
in the love, generosity, and support of those
with whom we share our journey,
and help us to worship you
in our response to those who need our care;
for all the world is your temple
and every human heart is a sign of your presence,
made known to us in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Believing the promises of God,

Equip us, your Church, to serve the human family
as a life-giving leaven,
by drawing men and women
into a new birth as your beloved children,

_Celebrating the Christian Year_ (c) Canterbury Press, Norwich.

The intercession is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993
Westminster / John Knox Press.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com