OREMUS: 15 January 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Jan 14 20:48:52 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Tuesday, January 15, 2008
Richard Meux Benson, Religious,
Founder of the Society of Saint John the Evangelist, 1915

Blessed are you, God of wonderful knowledge,
whose voice calls each of us by name.
You confounded our expectation
by revealing yourself to the lowly
and you also confound our fear
that we may not be afraid
to face the powerful of this earth
with your word of judgment,
in the sure knowledge
that nothing spoken in your name will be lost.

Be pleased, O God, to deliver me;*
 O Lord, make haste to help me.
Let those who seek my life
   be ashamed and altogether dismayed;*
 let those who take pleasure in my misfortune
   draw back and be disgraced.
Let those who say to me 'Aha!'
   and gloat over me turn back,*
 because they are ashamed.
Let all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you;*
 let those who love your salvation say for ever,
   'Great is the Lord!'
But as for me, I am poor and needy;*
 come to me speedily, O God.
You are my helper and my deliverer;*
 O Lord, do not tarry.

Psalm 77

I will cry aloud to God;*
 I will cry aloud and he will hear me.
In the day of my trouble I sought the Lord;*
 my hands were stretched out by night and did not tire;
   I refused to be comforted.
I think of God, I am restless,*
 I ponder and my spirit faints.
You will not let my eyelids close;*
 I am troubled and I cannot speak.
I consider the days of old;*
 I remember the years long past;
I commune with my heart in the night;*
 I ponder and search my mind.
Will the Lord cast me off for ever?*
 will he no more show his favour?
Has his loving-kindness come to an end for ever?*
 has his promise failed for evermore?
Has God forgotten to be gracious?*
 has he, in his anger, withheld his compassion?
And I said, 'My grief is this:*
 the right hand of the Most High has lost its power.'
I will remember the works of the Lord,*
 and call to mind your wonders of old time.
I will meditate on all your acts*
 and ponder your mighty deeds.
Your way, O God, is holy;*
 who is so great a god as our God?
You are the God who works wonders*
 and have declared your power among the peoples.
By your strength you have redeemed your people,*
 the children of Jacob and Joseph.
The waters saw you, O God;
   the waters saw you and trembled;*
 the very depths were shaken.
The clouds poured out water; the skies thundered;*
 your arrows flashed to and fro;
The sound of your thunder was in the whirlwind;
   your lightnings lit up the world;*
 the earth trembled and shook.
Your way was in the sea,
   and your paths in the great waters,*
 yet your footsteps were not seen.
You led your people like a flock*
 by the hand of Moses and Aaron.

A Song of the Blessed (Matthew 5.3-10)

Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn,
for they shall be comforted.
Blessed are the meek,
for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger
and thirst after righteousness,
for they shall be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful,
for they shall obtain mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they shall see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they shall be called children of God.
Blessed are those who suffer persecution
for righteousness' sake,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Rejoice and be glad
for you are the light of the world,
and great is your reward in heaven.

FIRST READING [1 Samuel 1.9 20]:

After they had eaten and drunk at Shiloh, Hannah rose and presented herself before the
Lord. Now Eli the priest was sitting on the seat beside the doorpost of the temple of
the Lord. She was deeply distressed and prayed to the Lord, and wept bitterly. She
made this vow: 'O Lord of hosts, if only you will look on the misery of your servant,
and remember me, and not forget your servant, but will give to your servant a male
child, then I will set him before you as a nazirite until the day of his death. He shall
drink neither wine nor intoxicants, and no razor shall touch his head.'
As she continued praying before the Lord, Eli observed her mouth. Hannah was
praying silently; only her lips moved, but her voice was not heard; therefore Eli
thought she was drunk. So Eli said to her, 'How long will you make a drunken
spectacle of yourself? Put away your wine.' But Hannah answered, 'No, my lord, I am
a woman deeply troubled; I have drunk neither wine nor strong drink, but I have been
pouring out my soul before the Lord. Do not regard your servant as a worthless
woman, for I have been speaking out of my great anxiety and vexation all this time.'
Then Eli answered, 'Go in peace; the God of Israel grant the petition you have made
to him.' And she said, 'Let your servant find favour in your sight.' Then the woman
went to her quarters, ate and drank with her husband, and her countenance was sad no
longer.
They rose early in the morning and worshipped before the Lord; then they went back
to their house at Ramah. Elkanah knew his wife Hannah, and the Lord remembered
her. In due time Hannah conceived and bore a son. She named him Samuel, for she
said, 'I have asked him of the Lord.'

HYMN
Words: Richard Meux Benson, 1861
Tune: Xavier

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/p/p097.html

Praise to God who reigns above,
binding earth and heaven in love;
all the armies of the sky
worship his dread sovereignty.

Seraphim his praises sing,
Cherubim on fourfold wing,
Thrones, Dominions, Princes, Powers,
marshaled might that never cowers.

Speeds the Archangel from his face,
bearing messages of grace;
angel hosts his words fulfill,
ruling nature by his will.

Yet on man they joy to wait,
all that bright celestial state,
for in Man their Lord they see,
Christ, the incarnate Deity.

On the throne their Lord who died
sits in manhood glorified;
where his people faint below
angels count it joy to go.

O the depths of joy divine
thrilling through those orders nine,
when the lost are found again,
when the banished comes to reign!

Now in faith, in hope, in love,
we will join the choirs above,
praising, with the heavenly host,
Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

SECOND READING [Mark 1.21 28]:

Jesus and his disciples went to Capernaum; and when the sabbath came, he entered the
synagogue and taught. They were astounded at his teaching, for he taught them as one
having authority, and not as the scribes. Just then there was in their synagogue a man
with an unclean spirit, and he cried out, 'What have you to do with us, Jesus of
Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are, the Holy One of God.'
But Jesus rebuked him, saying, 'Be silent, and come out of him!' And the unclean
spirit, throwing him into convulsions and crying with a loud voice, came out of him.
They were all amazed, and they kept on asking one another, 'What is this? A new
teaching with authority! He commands even the unclean spirits, and they obey him.'
At once his fame began to spread throughout the surrounding region of Galilee.

Lord Jesus,
born in pain, struggling towards life, fighting for breath;
born in shame,
born to the threat of Herod's sword;
fleeing to another country, another home;
wrapped in a young girl's love, placed in a borrowed bed;
We pray for those we know and love;
for all who suffer pain of body or anguish of mind;
for all who struggle to live, to live well, to live better;
for all who burn with shame,
for all who face threat and danger,
We pray to you, O God:
Hear our prayer.

We pray for war-ravaged countries and refugees;
for the starving poor;
for battered wives and abused children;
for the homeless, for the mentally ill;
for those who struggle with disability.
Strengthen us to work for peace on the earth
and peace with the earth.
We pray to you, O God:
Hear our prayer.

We pray for the Church,
especially the Diocese of
Keep us faithful that we may bear faithful witness in word and work
to your presence among us.
We pray to you, O God:
Hear our prayer.

We pray for all who are alone.
May our love reach out to the lonely and broken-hearted,
the bereaved, and all for whom life has become something to be endured.
May we open our minds, hearts and homes to those around us.
We pray to you, O God:
Hear our prayer.

And we pray for our own needs:
seeking the grace of your presence,
firming our resolve to behave as we believe;
seeking your courage to reconcile, heal and make new;
seeking a sure vision of your coming kingdom.
We pray to you, O God:
Hear our prayer.

Almighty God,
look mercifully upon the world,
redeemed by the blood of thy dear Son,
and send forth many more to do the work of the ministry,
that perishing souls may be rescued,
and thy glorious triumph may be hastened
by the perfecting of thine elect
through the same thy Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Blessed are you, eternal God,
for your servant Richard Meux Benson,
who heeded your call to holiness
and nurtured in others, far and near,
the vocation of constant union with Christ.
Heal our intentions and transfigure our wills,
that our lives may be filled
with the harmony of your life;

Believing the promises of God,

Lift up the light of your countenance on us, O God.,
that we may be faithful to your commandments
and always do what is right and good;

_Celebrating the Christian Year_ (c) Canterbury Press, Norwich.

The intercession is adapted from one by David Bromell,
http://www.methodist-mission-chch.org/resource-intercessions.htm

The first collect is by Fr. Benson and the second collect is from _For All the
Saints_, (c) General
Synod of the Anglican Church of Canada, 1994.

A biography of Richard Meux Benson can be found at

http://justus.anglican.org/resources/pc/bios/rmbenson.html.