OREMUS: 14 January 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Jan 13 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Monday, January 14, 2008

Blessed are you, God of wonderful knowledge,
whose voice calls each of us by name.
You confounded our expectation
by revealing yourself to the lowly
and you also confound our fear
that we may not be afraid
to face the powerful of this earth
with your word of judgment,
in the sure knowledge
that nothing spoken in your name will be lost.

We give you thanks, O God, we give you thanks,*
 calling upon your name
   and declaring all your wonderful deeds.
'I will appoint a time,' says God;*
 'I will judge with equity.
'Though the earth and all its inhabitants are quaking,*
 I will make its pillars fast.
'I will say to the boasters, "Boast no more",*
 and to the wicked, "Do not toss your horns;
'"Do not toss your horns so high,*
 nor speak with a proud neck."'
For judgement is neither from the east
   nor from the west,*
 nor yet from the wilderness or the mountains.
It is God who judges;*
 he puts down one and lifts up another.
For in the Lord's hand there is a cup,
   full of spiced and foaming wine, which he pours out,*
 and all the wicked of the earth
   shall drink and drain the dregs.
But I will rejoice for ever;*
 I will sing praises to the God of Jacob.
He shall break off all the horns of the wicked;*
 but the horns of the righteous shall be exalted.

Psalm 76

In Judah is God known;*
 his name is great in Israel.
At Salem is his tabernacle,*
 and his dwelling is in Zion.
There he broke the flashing arrows,*
 the shield, the sword and the weapons of battle.
How glorious you are!*
 more splendid than the everlasting mountains!
The strong of heart have been despoiled;
   they sink into sleep;*
 none of the warriors can lift a hand.
At your rebuke, O God of Jacob,*
 both horse and rider lie stunned.
What terror you inspire!*
 who can stand before you when you are angry?
>From heaven you pronounced judgement;*
 the earth was afraid and was still;
When God rose up to judgement*
 and to save all the oppressed of the earth.
Truly, wrathful Edom will give you thanks,*
 and the remnant of Hamath will keep your feasts.
Make a vow to the Lord your God and keep it;*
 let all around him bring gifts
   to him who is worthy to be feared.
He breaks the spirit of princes,*
 and strikes terror in the kings of the earth.

A Song of Christ's Appearing (1 Timothy 3.16;6.15,16)

Christ Jesus was revealed in the flesh
and vindicated in the spirit.
He was seen by angels
and proclaimed among the nations.
Believed in throughout the world,
he was taken up in glory.
This will be made manifest at the proper time
by the blessed and only Sovereign,
Who alone has immortality,
and dwells in unapproachable light.
To the King of kings and Lord of lords
be honour and eternal dominion. Amen.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [1 Samuel 1.1 8]:

There was a certain man of Ramathaim, a Zuphite from the hill country of Ephraim, whose name was Elkanah son of Jeroham son of Elihu son of Tohu son of Zuph, an Ephraimite. He had two wives; the name of one was Hannah, and the name of the other Peninnah. Peninnah had children, but Hannah had no children.
 Now this man used to go up year by year from his town to worship and to sacrifice to the Lord of hosts at Shiloh, where the two sons of Eli, Hophni and Phinehas, were priests of the Lord. On the day when Elkanah sacrificed, he would give portions to his wife Peninnah and to all her sons and daughters; but to Hannah he gave a double portion, because he loved her, though the Lord had closed her womb. Her rival used to provoke her severely, to irritate her, because the Lord had closed her womb. So it went on year after year; as often as she went up to the house of the Lord, she used to provoke her. Therefore Hannah wept and would not eat. Her husband Elkanah said to her, 'Hannah, why do you weep? Why do you not eat? Why is your heart sad? Am I not more to you than ten sons?'

HYMN
Words: James Montgomery, 1819
Tune: St. Hugh, Windsor, Bangor, First Mode Melody, Walsall

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l442.html

Lord, teach us how to pray aright,
with reverence and with fear;
though dust and ashes in thy sight,
we may, we must draw near.

We perish if we cease from prayer,
O grant us power to pray!
And when to meet thee we prepare,
Lord, meet us by the way.

God of all grace, we bring to thee
a broken, contrite heart;
give, what thine eye delights ot see,
truth in the inward part.

Faith in the only sacrifice
that can for sin atone;
to build our hopes, to fix our eyes,
on Christ, on Christ alone;

Patience to watch and wait and weep,
though mercy long delay;
courage our fainting souls to keep,
and trust thee though thou slay.

Give these, and then thy will be done;
thus strengthened with all might,
we through thy Spirit and thy Son,
shall pray, and pray aright.

SECOND READING [Mark 1.14 20]:

Now after John was arrested, Jesus came to Galilee, proclaiming the good news of God, and saying, 'The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God has come near; repent, and believe in the good news.'
As Jesus passed along the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a net into the lake for they were fishermen. And Jesus said to them, 'Follow me and I will make you fish for people.' And immediately they left their nets and followed him. As he went a little farther, he saw James son of Zebedee and his brother John, who were in their boat mending the nets. Immediately he called them; and they left their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired men, and followed him.

Aware of God's gracious love for all creation,
let us pray for Christ's Church, the world and all who stand in need.

For the Church throughout the world,
that we  may proclaim the Good News
and bring reconciliation and healing to this planet.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

For all Christians,
that they may know the power of the living Christ
and serve in faithful discipleship
filled with grace and love and peace.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

For our country,
that its leaders may govern wisely and with compassion;
that its people may act responsibly toward one another
with fairness and for the common good.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

For all nations,
that all peoples shall know peace with justice,
that together they may recognize their common interdependence
in sharing the resources of earth.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

For the ties that bind us together,
that family members may respect one another with tender care,
that children are reared with a trust in the goodness of life,
that relations between friend and friend be open in loving honesty.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

For those who are in trouble or in danger,
that regardless of circumstance
they may find hope and release
and know that they are not alone, but abide in you.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

For the spread of God's good news to all the world,
that people shall increasingly seek to know God
and find their rest in him who came to save us,
Jesus Christ our Lord.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

Lord,
strengthen us to bear the scorching fire of your love
so that you may find a home in our hearts
on the day of your coming. Amen.

Believing the promises of God,

Lift up the light of your countenance on us, O God.,
that we may be faithful to your commandments
and always do what is right and good;

The psalms and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from _Celebrating Common Prayer_ (Mowbray), (c) The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is used with permission.

_Celebrating the Christian Year_ (c) Canterbury Press, Norwich.