OREMUS: 13 January 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Jan 12 22:43:47 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Sunday, January 13, 2008
The First Sunday after Epiphany

Blessed are you, mighty God, Creator of heaven and earth!
When your voice first thundered over the seas
your brooding Spirit brought forth the earth from the void
and breathed life into all your creatures.
You called your people to follow your ways,
and sent your servant, John the Baptist,
to proclaiming a baptism of repentance
for the forgiveness of sins.
He pointed to the one who was to come,
your beloved child, Jesus the Christ.
When he was baptized in the fearful waters of death,
you raised him to life and tore open the heavens
so that all might be baptized with your Holy Spirit
and enter into your presence as your children.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 118

Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;*
 his mercy endures for ever.
Let Israel now proclaim,*
 'His mercy endures for ever.'
Let the house of Aaron now proclaim,*
 'His mercy endures for ever.'
Let those who fear the Lord now proclaim,*
 'His mercy endures for ever.'
I called to the Lord in my distress;*
 the Lord answered by setting me free.
The Lord is at my side, therefore I will not fear;*
 what can anyone do to me?
The Lord is at my side to help me;*
 I will triumph over those who hate me.
It is better to rely on the Lord*
 than to put any trust in flesh.
It is better to rely on the Lord*
 than to put any trust in rulers.
All the ungodly encompass me;*
 in the name of the Lord I will repel them.
They hem me in, they hem me in on every side;*
 in the name of the Lord I will repel them.
They swarm about me like bees;
   they blaze like a fire of thorns;*
 in the name of the Lord I will repel them.
I was pressed so hard that I almost fell,*
 but the Lord came to my help.
The Lord is my strength and my song,*
 and he has become my salvation.
There is a sound of exultation and victory*
 in the tents of the righteous:
'The right hand of the Lord has triumphed!*
 the right hand of the Lord is exalted!
   the right hand of the Lord has triumphed!'
I shall not die, but live,*
 and declare the works of the Lord.
The Lord has punished me sorely,*
 but he did not hand me over to death.
Open for me the gates of righteousness;*
 I will enter them; I will offer thanks to the Lord.
'This is the gate of the Lord;*
 whoever is righteous may enter.'
I will give thanks to you, for you answered me*
 and have become my salvation.
The same stone which the builders rejected*
 has become the chief corner-stone.
This is the Lord's doing,*
 and it is marvellous in our eyes.
On this day the Lord has acted;*
 we will rejoice and be glad in it.
Hosanna, Lord, hosanna!*
 Lord, send us now success.
Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord;*
 we bless you from the house of the Lord.
God is the Lord; he has shined upon us;*
 form a procession with branches
   up to the horns of the altar.
'You are my God and I will thank you;*
 you are my God and I will exalt you.'
Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;*
 his mercy endures for ever.

A Song of Christ's Appearing (1 Timothy 3:16; 6:15-16)
Christ Jesus was revealed in the flesh
and vindicated in the spirit.

He was seen by angels
and proclaimed among the nations.

Believed in throughout the world,
he was taken up in glory.

This will be made manifest at the proper time
by the blessed and only Sovereign,

Who alone has immortality,
and dwells in unapproachable light.

To the King of kings and Lord of lords
be honour and eternal dominion. Amen.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Joshua 3:1-8, 14-17]:

Early in the morning Joshua rose and set out from Shittim with all the Israelites, and they came to
the Jordan. They camped there before crossing over. At the end of three days the officers went
through the camp and commanded the people, 'When you see the ark of the covenant of the Lord
your God being carried by the levitical priests, then you shall set out from your place. Follow it,
so that you may know the way you should go, for you have not passed this way before. Yet there
shall be a space between you and it, a distance of about two thousand cubits; do not come any
nearer to it.' Then Joshua said to the people, 'Sanctify yourselves; for tomorrow the Lord will do
wonders among you.' To the priests Joshua said, 'Take up the ark of the covenant, and pass on in
front of the people.' So they took up the ark of the covenant and went in front of the people.
The Lord said to Joshua, 'This day I will begin to exalt you in the sight of all Israel, so that they
may know that I will be with you as I was with Moses. You are the one who shall command the
priests who bear the ark of the covenant, "When you come to the edge of the waters of the
Jordan, you shall stand still in the Jordan."'
When the people set out from their tents to cross over the Jordan, the priests bearing the ark of
the covenant were in front of the people. Now the Jordan overflows all its banks throughout the
time of harvest. So when those who bore the ark had come to the Jordan, and the feet of the
priests bearing the ark were dipped in the edge of the water, the waters flowing from above stood
still, rising up in a single heap far off at Adam, the city that is beside Zarethan, while those flowing
towards the sea of the Arabah, the Dead Sea, were wholly cut off. Then the people crossed over
opposite Jericho. While all Israel were crossing over on dry ground, the priests who bore the ark
of the covenant of the Lord stood on dry ground in the middle of the Jordan, until the entire
nation finished crossing over the Jordan.

HYMN
Words: William Williams, 1745; trans. Peter Williams, 1771
Tune: Cwm Rhondda, Obiit, St. Oswald
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/g/g401.html

Guide me, O thou great Jehovah,
pilgrim though this barren land;
I am weak, but thou art mighty;
hold me with thy powerful hand;
Bread of heaven, Bread of heaven,
feed me till I want no more,
feed me till I want no more.

Open now the crystal fountain,
whence the healing stream doth flow;
let the fire and cloudy pillar
lead me all my journey through;
strong Deliverer, strong Deliverer.
be thou still my Strength and Shield,
be thou still my Strength and Shield.

When I tread the verge of Jordan,
bid my anxious fears subside;
bear me through the swelling current,
land me safe on Canaan's side;
songs of praises, songs of praises,
I will ever give to thee,
I will ever give to thee.

SECOND READING [Hebrews 1:1-12]:

Long ago God spoke to our ancestors in many and various ways by the prophets, but in these last
days he has spoken to us by a Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, through whom he also
created the worlds. He is the reflection of God's glory and the exact imprint of God's very being,
and he sustains all things by his powerful word. When he had made purification for sins, he sat
down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, having become as much superior to angels as the
name he has inherited is more excellent than theirs.

 For to which of the angels did God ever say,
'You are my Son;
   today I have begotten you'?
Or again,
'I will be his Father,
   and he will be my Son'?
And again, when he brings the firstborn into the world, he says,
'Let all God's angels worship him.'
Of the angels he says,
'He makes his angels winds,
   and his servants flames of fire.'
But of the Son he says,
'Your throne, O God, is for ever and ever,
   and the righteous sceptre is the sceptre of your kingdom.
You have loved righteousness and hated wickedness;
therefore God, your God, has anointed you
   with the oil of gladness beyond your companions.'
And,
'In the beginning, Lord, you founded the earth,
   and the heavens are the work of your hands;
they will perish, but you remain;
   they will all wear out like clothing;
like a cloak you will roll them up,
   and like clothing they will be changed.
But you are the same,
   and your years will never end.'

The Benedictus (Morning),
the
Magnificat (Evening), or
Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
God of truth,
you are faithful to the covenant you have made with us;
look in mercy on your people.
Cleanse us, Lord, from all our sins:
Wash us, and we shall be whiter than snow.

We have broken the pledges of our baptism,
and failed to be your disciples.
Cleanse us, Lord, from all our sins:
Wash us, and we shall be whiter than snow.

Though we are saved by Christ
and dead to sin through the deep waters of death,
we have not witnessed to his grace
by our manner of life.
Cleanse us, Lord, from all our sins:
Wash us, and we shall be whiter than snow.

We have shown indifference to those in need
and have been afraid to stand up
for justice and truth.
Cleanse us, Lord, from all our sins:
Wash us, and we shall be whiter than snow.

We have been slow to forgive,
and have failed to remember
your repeated forgiveness of our sins.
Cleanse us, Lord, from all our sins:
Wash us, and we shall be whiter than snow.

Today we rejoice and give thanks
because your Son humbled himself
to be baptized in the Jordan.
Through the waters you have given us
the mystery of baptism
for the remission of our sins.
Cleanse us, Lord, from all our sins:
Wash us, and we shall be whiter than snow.

Through water and Spirit
you give us new life
as the people of God,
and pour out upon us
the gifts of your new covenant.
Cleanse us, Lord, from all our sins:
Wash us, and we shall be whiter than snow.

O God, whose kingdom is not of this world:
your Son has shattered our yoke of sin
and loosened the fetters of all that bound us in tyranny:
acknowledge the servants who bow before you
and bless the inheritance of your Son's redeeming;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Water may be sprinkled over one's self or one may make the sign of the cross with it,
saying:

Remember your baptism into Christ Jesus.
Thanks be to God.

OR:

I remember my baptism into Christ Jesus.
Thanks be to God.

God has made us one in Christ.
He has set his seal upon us,
and as a pledge of what is to come
has given the Spirit to dwell in our hearts. Amen.

Eternal God,
at the baptism of Jesus
in the River Jordan
you proclaimed him your beloved Son
and anointed him with the Holy Spirit:
Grant that all who are baptized into his Name
may keep the covenant they have made,
and boldly confess him as Lord and Savior;
who with you and the Holy Spirit lives and reigns,
one God, in glory everlasting. Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

O God, whose voice moves over the waters,
immerse us in your grace,
make us with your image,
and raise us to live our baptismal vows
empowered by the Holy Spirit
and the example of Christ our Lord. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is altered by Stephen Benner from a prayer
(c) 2002, Nathan Nettleton at http://www.laughingbird.net/.

The intercession is from _The Promise of His Glory_ (Mowbray),
(c) The Central Board of Finance  of the Church of England 1990, 1991,
which is used with permission.

Westminster / John Knox Press.

The closing sentence is from a prayer reprinted from _Revised Common
Lectionary Prayers_, copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common
Texts.