OREMUS: 11 January 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Jan 10 22:25:59 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Friday, January 11, 2008
Mary Slessor, Missionary in West Africa, 1915

Blessed are you, Sovereign God,
our light and our salvation,
 to you be glory and praise for ever.
Your light springs up for the righteous
and all the peoples have seen your glory.
You gave the Christ as a light to the nations,
and through the anointing of the Spirit
you established us as a royal priesthood.
You call us into your marvelous light,
that our lives may bear witness to your truth
and our lips never cease to proclaim your praise.

http://www.oremus.org/chrocant.html

Psalm 22

My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?*
 and are so far from my cry
   and from the words of my distress?
O my God, I cry in the daytime,
   but you do not answer;*
 by night as well, but I find no rest.
Yet you are the Holy One,*
 enthroned upon the praises of Israel.
Our forebears put their trust in you;*
 they trusted and you delivered them.
They cried out to you and were delivered;*
 they trusted in you and were not put to shame.
But as for me, I am a worm and no man,*
 scorned by all and despised by the people.
All who see me laugh me to scorn;*
 they curl their lips and wag their heads, saying,
'He trusted in the Lord; let him deliver him;*
 let him rescue him, if he delights in him.'
Yet you are he who took me out of the womb,*
 and kept me safe upon my mother's breast.
I have been entrusted to you ever since I was born;*
 you were my God
   when I was still in my mother's womb.
Be not far from me, for trouble is near,*
 and there is none to help.
Many young bulls encircle me;*
 strong bulls of Bashan surround me.
They open wide their jaws at me,*
 like a ravening and a roaring lion.
I am poured out like water;
   all my bones are out of joint;*
 my heart within my breast is melting wax.
My mouth is dried out like a pot-sherd;
   my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth;*
 and you have laid me in the dust of the grave.
Packs of dogs close me in,
   and gangs of evildoers circle around me;*
 they pierce my hands and my feet;
   I can count all my bones.
They stare and gloat over me;*
 they divide my garments among them;
   they cast lots for my clothing.
Be not far away, O Lord;*
 you are my strength; hasten to help me.
Save me from the sword,*
 my life from the power of the dog.
Save me from the lion's mouth,*
 my wretched body from the horns of wild bulls.
I will declare your name to my people;*
 in the midst of the congregation I will praise you.
Praise the Lord, you that fear him;*
 stand in awe of him, O offspring of Israel;
   all you of Jacob's line, give glory.
For he does not despise nor abhor
   the poor in their poverty;
   neither does he hide his face from them;*
 but when they cry to him he hears them.
My praise is of him in the great assembly;*
 I will perform my vows
   in the presence of those who worship him.
The poor shall eat and be satisfied,
   and those who seek the Lord shall praise him:*
 'May your heart live for ever!'
All the ends of the earth
   shall remember and turn to the Lord,*
 and all the families of the nations
   shall bow before him.
For kingship belongs to the Lord;*
 he rules over the nations.
To him alone all who sleep in the earth
   bow down in worship;*
 all who go down to the dust fall before him.
My soul shall live for him;
   my descendants shall serve him;*
 they shall be known as the Lord's for ever.
They shall come and make known to a people yet unborn*
 the saving deeds that he has done.

Great and Wonderful (Revelation 15.3,4)
Great and wonderful are your deeds, .
Lord God the Almighty.
Just and true are your ways, .
O ruler of the nations.
Who shall not revere and praise your name, O Lord? .
for you alone are holy.
All nations shall come and worship in your presence: .
for your just dealings have been revealed.

FIRST READING [1 John 5.5 13]:

Who is it that conquers the world but the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of
God?
This is the one who came by water and blood, Jesus Christ, not with the water only
but with the water and the blood. And the Spirit is the one that testifies, for the Spirit
is the truth. There are three that testify: the Spirit and the water and the blood, and
these three agree. If we receive human testimony, the testimony of God is greater; for
this is the testimony of God that he has testified to his Son. Those who believe in the
Son of God have the testimony in their hearts. Those who do not believe in God have
made him a liar by not believing in the testimony that God has given concerning his
Son. And this is the testimony: God gave us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.
Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have
life.
I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you
may know that you have eternal life.

HYMN
Words, verse 1: Johann Rist, 1641; trans. John Troutbeck, ca. 1885;
words: vv. 2 & 3 by Fred Pratt Green
Tune:  Ermuntre dich

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b/b181.html

Break forth, O beauteous heavenly light,
And usher in the morning;
O shepherds, shrink not with afright,
But hear the angel's warning.
This Child, now weak in infancy,
Our confidence and joy shall be,
The power of Satan breaking,
Our peace eternal making.

This night of wonder, night of joy,
was born the Christ, our brother;
he comes, not mighty to destroy,
to bid us love each other.
How could he quit his kingly state
for such a world of greed and hate?
What deep humiliation
secured the world's salvation!

Come, dearest child, into our hearts,
and leave your crib behind you!
Let this be where the new life starts
for all who seek and find you.
To you the honor, thanks, and praise,
for all your gifts this time of grace;
come, conquer and deliver
this world, and us, forever.

SECOND READING [Luke 5.12 16]:

Once, when Jesus was in one of the cities, there was a man covered with leprosy.
When he saw Jesus, he bowed with his face to the ground and begged him, 'Lord, if
you choose, you can make me clean.' Then Jesus stretched out his hand, touched him,
and said, 'I do choose. Be made clean.' Immediately the leprosy left him. And he
ordered him to tell no one. 'Go', he said, 'and show yourself to the priest, and, as
Moses commanded, make an offering for your cleansing, for a testimony to them.' But
now more than ever the word about Jesus spread abroad; many crowds would gather
to hear him and to be cured of their diseases. But he would withdraw to deserted
places and pray.

Lord Jesus Christ,
wise visitors from the East worshiped and adored you;
they brought you gifts gold, frankincense and myrrh.

We too have seen your glory,
but we have often turned away.
Lord, in your mercy,
shine your light on us.

We too have gifts,
but we have not fully used them or offered them to you.
Lord, in your mercy,
shine your light on us.

We too have acclaimed you as King,
but we have not served you with all our strength.
Lord, in your mercy,
shine your light on us.

We too have acknowledged you as God,
but we have not desired holiness.
Lord, in your mercy,
shine your light on us.

We too have welcomed you as Savior,
but we have failed to tell others of your grace.
Lord, in your mercy,
shine your light on us.

Go before us, Lord, we pray,
always and everywhere with your celestial light,
that we may discern with a clear mind
and receive with pure affection
the mystery you have called us to share.
We ask this through Christ our Lord. Amen.

Everlasting God,
whose servant Mary Slessor carried the good news of your Son
to the people of western Africa,
grant that we who commemorate her service
may know the hope of the gospel in our hearts
and manifest its light in all our ways;

Believing the promises of God,

May Christ, the Son of God, be manifest in us
that our lives may be a light to the world. Amen.

_The Promise of His Glory_ (Mowbray), (c) The Central

Mary Slessor (2 December 1848 - 13 January 1915) was a Scottish missionary to Nigeria.
Her determined work and strong personality allowed her to be trusted and accepted by the
locals, spreading Christianity and promoting women's rights.