OREMUS: 9 January 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Jan 8 21:00:41 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Blessed are you, Sovereign God,
our light and our salvation,
 to you be glory and praise for ever.
Your light springs up for the righteous
and all the peoples have seen your glory.
You gave the Christ as a light to the nations,
and through the anointing of the Spirit
you established us as a royal priesthood.
You call us into your marvelous light,
that our lives may bear witness to your truth
and our lips never cease to proclaim your praise.

http://www.oremus.org/chrocant.html

Psalm 69

Save me, O God,*
 for the waters have risen up to my neck.
I am sinking in deep mire,*
 and there is no firm ground for my feet.
I have come into deep waters,*
 and the torrent washes over me.
I have grown weary with my crying;
   my throat is inflamed;*
 my eyes have failed from looking for my God.
Those who hate me without a cause
   are more than the hairs of my head;
   my lying foes who would destroy me are mighty.*
 Must I then give back what I never stole?
O God, you know my foolishness,*
 and my faults are not hidden from you.
Let not those who hope in you
   be put to shame through me, Lord God of hosts;*
 let not those who seek you be disgraced because of me,
   O God of Israel.
Surely, for your sake have I suffered reproach,*
 and shame has covered my face.
I have become a stranger to my own kindred,*
 an alien to my mother's children.
Zeal for your house has eaten me up;*
 the scorn of those who scorn you has fallen upon me.
I humbled myself with fasting,*
 but that was turned to my reproach.
I put on sack-cloth also,*
 and became a byword among them.
Those who sit at the gate murmur against me,*
 and the drunkards make songs about me.
But as for me, this is my prayer to you,*
 at the time you have set, O Lord:
'In your great mercy, O God,*
 answer me with your unfailing help.
'Save me from the mire; do not let me sink;*
 let me be rescued from those who hate me
   and out of the deep waters.
'Let not the torrent of waters wash over me,
   neither let the deep swallow me up;*
 do not let the Pit shut its mouth upon me.
'Answer me, O Lord, for your love is kind;*
 in your great compassion, turn to me.
'Hide not your face from your servant;*
 be swift and answer me, for I am in distress.
'Draw near to me and redeem me;*
 because of my enemies deliver me.
'You know my reproach, my shame and my dishonour;*
 my adversaries are all in your sight.'
Reproach has broken my heart and it cannot be healed;*
 I looked for sympathy, but there was none,
   for comforters, but I could find no one.
They gave me gall to eat,*
 and when I was thirsty, they gave me vinegar to drink.
As for me, I am afflicted and in pain;*
 your help, O God, will lift me up on high.
I will praise the name of God in song;*
 I will proclaim his greatness with thanksgiving.
This will please the Lord more than an offering of oxen,*
 more than bullocks with horns and hoofs.
The afflicted shall see and be glad;*
 you who seek God, your heart shall live.
For the Lord listens to the needy,*
 and his prisoners he does not despise.
Let the heavens and the earth praise him,*
 the seas and all that moves in them;
For God will save Zion and rebuild the cities of Judah;*
 they shall live there and have it in possession.
The children of his servants will inherit it,*
 and those who love his name will dwell therein.

A Song of Praise (Revelation 4.11; 5.9b,10)
You are worthy, our Lord and God,
to receive glory and honour and power.
For you have created all things,
and by your will they have their being.
You are worthy, O Lamb, for you were slain,
and by your blood you ransomed for God
saints from every tribe and language and nation.
You have made them to be a kingdom and priests
serving our God,
and they will reign with you on earth.

Psalm 147:13-end
Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [1 John 4.11 18]:

Beloved, since God loved us so much, we also ought to love one another. No one has
ever seen God; if we love one another, God lives in us, and his love is perfected in
us.
By this we know that we abide in him and he in us, because he has given us of his
Spirit. And we have seen and do testify that the Father has sent his Son as the Saviour
of the world. God abides in those who confess that Jesus is the Son of God, and they
abide in God. So we have known and believe the love that God has for us.
God is love, and those who abide in love abide in God, and God abides in them. Love
has been perfected among us in this: that we may have boldness on the day of
judgement, because as he is, so are we in this world. There is no fear in love, but
perfect love casts out fear; for fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has
not reached perfection in love.

HYMN
Words: Alan Gaunt (c)
Tune: Donne secours
Copyright information is found at:
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/a/a349.html

As powers of good so wonderfully hide us,
we face the future boldly, come what may;
at dawn or dusk our God is still beside us,
to whom we trust, completely, each new day.

Yet still old torments cause consternation;
through days of fear and grief we have despaired.
O, give our tortured souls, Lord, your salvation:
the healing you have promised and prepared.

Then offer us the cup of desolation,
brimfull of bitterness, and we will stand
and drink with thanks, in spite of trepidation,
from such a dearly loved and gracious hand.

Yet should you bring us back to share the gladness
of this bright world, your sunshine breaking through,
we would remember times of pain and sadness
and offer up the whole of life to you.

As evening falls, the candles we have lighted
will point us through the darkness to your light;
we long to be with loved ones, reunited;
we know your love outshines the darkest night.
As silence deepens, let us hear the chorus
that harmonizes earth's discordant days,
poured out from the unseen that lies before us:
your children's soaring song of endless praise.

By powers of good so faithfully surrounded,
secure and comforted in spite of fear,
we live each day with you Lord, unconfounded,
and go with you to meet the coming year.

SECOND READING [Mark 6.45 52]:

Immediately he made his disciples get into the boat and go on ahead to the other side,
to Bethsaida, while he dismissed the crowd. After saying farewell to them, he went up
on the mountain to pray.
When evening came, the boat was out on the lake, and he was alone on the land. When
he saw that they were straining at the oars against an adverse wind, he came towards
them early in the morning, walking on the lake. He intended to pass them by. But
when they saw him walking on the lake, they thought it was a ghost and cried out; for
they all saw him and were terrified. But immediately he spoke to them and said, 'Take
heart, it is I; do not be afraid.' Then he got into the boat with them and the wind
ceased. And they were utterly astounded, for they did not understand about the loaves,
but their hearts were hardened.

To Jesus, redeemer of the peoples,
let us lift our praises, saying:
Lord, have mercy.

Lord, you are the faithful guide
of those who seek you with a pure heart:
Lord, have mercy.
You came among us
to usher in your kingdom of peace:
Lord, have mercy.

O Lord, encompassed in light as with a cloak,
you conquer the darkness of our night:
Lord, have mercy.

You change our vessels of water
into the gladdening wine of new life:
Lord, have mercy.

O bread eternal,
you feed the hunger of your people
in desert places:
Lord, have mercy.

God revealed in Christ,
let the splendour of your glory
flood our hearts and minds,
that we may learn to worship
in spirit and in truth;
through Jesus Christ, who is one with you and the Holy Spirit,
now and for ever. Amen.

Believing the promises of God,

May Christ, the Son of God, be manifest in us
that our lives may be a light to the world. Amen.

_The Promise of His Glory_ (Mowbray), (c) The Central