OREMUS: 8 January 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Jan 7 17:49:13 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Blessed are you, Sovereign God,
our light and our salvation,
 to you be glory and praise for ever.
Your light springs up for the righteous
and all the peoples have seen your glory.
You gave the Christ as a light to the nations,
and through the anointing of the Spirit
you established us as a royal priesthood.
You call us into your marvelous light,
that our lives may bear witness to your truth
and our lips never cease to proclaim your praise.

http://www.oremus.org/chrocant.html

Psalm 68 [CCP]

Let God arise and let his enemies be scattered;*
 let those who hate him flee before him.
Let them vanish like smoke
   when the wind drives it away;*
 as the wax melts at the fire,
   so let the wicked perish at the presence of God.
But let the righteous be glad and rejoice before God;*
 let them also be merry and joyful.
Sing to God, sing praises to his name;
   exalt him who rides upon the heavens;*
 Yahweh is his name, rejoice before him!
Father of orphans, defender of widows,*
 God in his holy habitation!
God gives the solitary a home
   and brings forth prisoners into freedom;*
 but the rebels shall live in dry places.
O God, when you went forth before your people,*
 when you marched through the wilderness,
The earth shook and the skies poured down rain,
   at the presence of God, the God of Sinai,*
 at the presence of God, the God of Israel.
You sent a gracious rain, O God, upon your inheritance;*
 you refreshed the land when it was weary.
Your people found their home in it;*
 in your goodness, O God,
   you have made provision for the poor.
The Lord gave the word;*
 great was the company of women who bore the tidings:
'Kings with their armies are fleeing away;*
 the women at home are dividing the spoils.'
Though you lingered among the sheepfolds,*
 you shall be like a dove
   whose wings are covered with silver,
   whose feathers are like green gold.
When the Almighty scattered kings,*
 it was like snow falling in Zalmon.
O mighty mountain, O hill of Bashan!*
 O rugged mountain, O hill of Bashan!
Why do you look with envy, O rugged mountain,
   at the hill which God chose for his resting place?*
 truly, the Lord will dwell there for ever.
The chariots of God are twenty thousand,
   even thousands of thousands;*
 the Lord comes in holiness from Sinai.
You have gone up on high and led captivity captive;
   you have received gifts even from your enemies,*
 that the Lord God might dwell among them.
Blessed be the Lord day by day,*
 the God of our salvation, who bears our burdens.
He is our God, the God of our salvation;*
 God is the Lord, by whom we escape death.
Your procession is seen, O God,*
 your procession into the sanctuary, my God and my King.
The singers go before, musicians follow after,*
 in the midst of maidens playing upon the hand-drums.
Bless God in the congregation;*
 bless the Lord, you that are of the fountain of Israel.
There is Benjamin, least of the tribes, at the head;
   the princes of Judah in a company;*
 and the princes of Zebulon and Naphtali.
Send forth your strength, O God;*
 establish, O God, what you have wrought for us.
Kings shall bring gifts to you,*
 for your temple's sake at Jerusalem.
Rebuke the wild beast of the reeds,*
 and the peoples, a herd of wild bulls with its calves.
Trample down those who lust after silver;*
 scatter the peoples that delight in war.
Let tribute be brought out of Egypt;*
 let Ethiopia stretch out her hands to God.
Sing to God, O kingdoms of the earth;*
 sing praises to the Lord.
He rides in the heavens, the ancient heavens;*
 he sends forth his voice, his mighty voice.
Ascribe power to God;*
 his majesty is over Israel;
   his strength is in the skies.
How wonderful is God in his holy places!*
 the God of Israel giving strength and power to his people!
   Blessed be God!

A Song of the Blessed (Matthew 5.3-10)
Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn,
for they shall be comforted.
Blessed are the meek,
for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger
and thirst after righteousness,
for they shall be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful,
for they shall obtain mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they shall see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they shall be called children of God.
Blessed are those who suffer persecution
for righteousness' sake,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Rejoice and be glad
for you are the light of the world,
and great is your reward in heaven.

FIRST READING [1 John 4.7 10]:

Beloved, let us love one another, because love is from God; everyone who loves is
born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, for God is
love. God's love was revealed among us in this way: God sent his only Son into the
world so that we might live through him. In this is love, not that we loved God but
that he loved us and sent his Son to be the atoning sacrifice for our sins.

HYMN
Words: Frank Mason North, 1903
Tune: Gardiner

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/w/w404.html

Where cross the crowded ways of life,
where sound the cries of race and clan,
above the noise of selfish strife,
we hear thy voice, O Son of Man.

In haunts of wretchedness and need,
on shadowed thresholds dark with fears,
from paths where hide the lures of greed,
we catch the vision of thy tears.

>From tender childhoods helplessness,
from woman's grief, man's burdened toil,
from famished souls, from sorrow's stress,
thy heart has never known recoil.

The cup of water given for thee
still holds the freshness of thy grace;
yet long these multitudes to see
the sweet compassion of thy face.

O Master, from the mountain side,
make haste to heal these hearts of pain;
among these restless throngs abide,
O tread the city's streets again;

Till all the world shall learn thy love,
and follow where thy feet have trod;
till glorious from thy heaven above,
shall come the city of our God.

SECOND READING [Mark 6.34 44]:

As Jesus went ashore, he saw a great crowd; and he had compassion for them, because
they were like sheep without a shepherd; and he began to teach them many things.
When it grew late, his disciples came to him and said, 'This is a deserted place, and the
hour is now very late; send them away so that they may go into the surrounding
country and villages and buy something for themselves to eat.' But he answered them,
'You give them something to eat.' They said to him, 'Are we to go and buy two
hundred denarii worth of bread, and give it to them to eat?' And he said to them,
'How many loaves have you? Go and see.' When they had found out, they said, 'Five,
and two fish.' Then he ordered them to get all the people to sit down in groups on the
green grass. So they sat down in groups of hundreds and of fifties. Taking the five
loaves and the two fish, he looked up to heaven, and blessed and broke the loaves, and
gave them to his disciples to set before the people; and he divided the two fish among
them all. And all ate and were filled; and they took up twelve baskets full of broken
pieces and of the fish. Those who had eaten the loaves numbered five thousand men.

>From the rising of the sun to its setting, let us pray to the Lord.

That the people of God in all the world
may worship in spirit and in truth,
let us pray to the Lord:
Reveal your glory, O Lord.

That the Church may discover again that unity which is your gift,
let us pray to the Lord:
Reveal your glory, O Lord.

That the nations of the earth
may seek after the ways that make for peace;
we pray especially for Jordan,
let us pray to the Lord:
Reveal your glory, O Lord.

That the whole creation, groaning in travail,
may be set free to enjoy the glorious liberty
of the children of God,
let us pray to the Lord:
Reveal your glory, O Lord.

That all who with Christ have entered the shadow of death
may find the fulfilment of life and peace,
let us pray to the Lord:
Reveal your glory, O Lord.

With all the saints in light,
let us offer eternal praise to the Lord made manifest:

Show to your people, Lord,
the light of your truth,
and as you have called your Church
to be a light for the world,
so fill your people with the wisdom
to bear that light for your glory.
We ask this through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Believing the promises of God,

May Christ, the Son of God, be manifest in us
that our lives may be a light to the world. Amen.

_The Promise of His Glory_ (Mowbray), (c) The Central