OREMUS: 7 January 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Jan 6 23:28:57 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Monday, January 7, 2008

Blessed are you, Sovereign God,
our light and our salvation,
 to you be glory and praise for ever.
Your light springs up for the righteous
and all the peoples have seen your glory.
You gave the Christ as a light to the nations,
and through the anointing of the Spirit
you established us as a royal priesthood.
You call us into your marvelous light,
that our lives may bear witness to your truth
and our lips never cease to proclaim your praise.

http://www.oremus.org/chrocant.html

Psalm 66

Be joyful in God, all you lands;*
 sing the glory of his name;
   sing the glory of his praise.
Say to God, 'How awesome are your deeds!*
 because of your great strength
   your enemies cringe before you.
'All the earth bows down before you,*
 sings to you, sings out your name.'
Come now and see the works of God,*
 how wonderful he is in his doing towards all people.
He turned the sea into dry land,
   so that they went through the water on foot,*
 and there we rejoiced in him.
In his might he rules for ever;
   his eyes keep watch over the nations;*
 let no rebel rise up against him.
Bless our God, you peoples;*
 make the voice of his praise to be heard;
Who holds our souls in life,*
 and will not allow our feet to slip.
For you, O God, have proved us;*
 you have tried us just as silver is tried.
You brought us into the snare;*
 you laid heavy burdens upon our backs.
You let enemies ride over our heads;
   we went through fire and water;*
 but you brought us out into a place of refreshment.
I will enter your house with burnt-offerings
   and will pay you my vows,*
 which I promised with my lips
   and spoke with my mouth when I was in trouble.
I will offer you sacrifices of fat beasts
   with the smoke of rams;*
 I will give you oxen and goats.
Come and listen, all you who fear God,*
 and I will tell you what he has done for me.
I called out to him with my mouth,*
 and his praise was on my tongue.
If I had found evil in my heart,*
 the Lord would not have heard me;
But in truth God has heard me;*
 he has attended to the voice of my prayer.
Blessed be God, who has not rejected my prayer,*
 nor withheld his love from me.

Psalm 67

May God be merciful to us and bless us,*
 show us the light of his countenance and come to us.
Let your ways be known upon earth,*
 your saving health among all nations.
Let the peoples praise you, O God;*
 let all the peoples praise you.
Let the nations be glad and sing for joy,*
 for you judge the peoples with equity
   and guide all the nations upon earth.
Let the peoples praise you, O God;*
 let all the peoples praise you.
The earth has brought forth her increase;*
 may God, our own God, give us his blessing.
May God give us his blessing,*
 and may all the ends of the earth stand in awe of him.

A Song of Christ's Appearing (1 Timothy 3.16;6.15,16)
Christ Jesus was revealed in the flesh
and vindicated in the spirit.
He was seen by angels
and proclaimed among the nations.
Believed in throughout the world,
he was taken up in glory.
This will be made manifest at the proper time
by the blessed and only Sovereign,
Who alone has immortality,
and dwells in unapproachable light.
To the King of kings and Lord of lords
be honour and eternal dominion. Amen.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [1 John 3.22   4.6]:

We receive from Christ whatever we ask, because we obey his commandments and do
what pleases him.
And this is his commandment, that we should believe in the name of his Son Jesus
Christ and love one another, just as he has commanded us. All who obey his
commandments abide in him, and he abides in them. And by this we know that he
abides in us, by the Spirit that he has given us.
Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from
God; for many false prophets have gone out into the world. By this you know the
Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from
God, and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God. And this is the spirit
of the antichrist, of which you have heard that it is coming; and now it is already in the
world. Little children, you are from God, and have conquered them; for the one who is
in you is greater than the one who is in the world. They are from the world; therefore
what they say is from the world, and the world listens to them. We are from God.
Whoever knows God listens to us, and whoever is not from God does not listen to us.
>From this we know the spirit of truth and the spirit of error.

HYMN
Words: Isaac Watts (1674-1748)
Tune: Truro, Dunedin, Warrington, Rimington

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/g/g037.html

Give to our God immortal praise,
Mercy and truth are all his ways:
Wonders of grace to God belong,
Repeat his mercies in your song.

Give to the Lord of lords renown;
The King of kings with glory crown;
His mercies ever shall endure,
When lords and kings are known no more.

He built the earth, he spread the sky.
And fixed the starry lights on high:
Wonders of grace to God belong,
Repeat his mercies in your song.

He fills the sun with morning light,
He bids the moon direct the night:
His mercies shall ever endure,
When suns and moons shall shine no more!

He sent his Son with power to save
>From guilt and darkness and the grave:
Wonders of grace to God belong,
Repeat his mercies in your song.

Through this vain world he guides our feet,
And leads us to his heavenly seat:
His mercies shall for ever endure.
When this vain world shall be no more.

SECOND READING [Matthew 4.12 17, 23 end]:

Now when Jesus heard that John had been arrested, he withdrew to Galilee. He left
Nazareth and made his home in Capernaum by the lake, in the territory of Zebulun and
Naphtali, so that what had been spoken through the prophet Isaiah might be
fulfilled:
'Land of Zebulun, land of Naphtali,
   on the road by the sea, across the Jordan, Galilee of the Gentiles
the people who sat in darkness
   have seen a great light,
and for those who sat in the region and shadow of death
   light has dawned.'
>From that time Jesus began to proclaim, 'Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come
near.'
Jesus went throughout Galilee, teaching in their synagogues and proclaiming the good
news of the kingdom and curing every disease and every sickness among the people.
So his fame spread throughout all Syria, and they brought to him all the sick, those
who were afflicted with various diseases and pains, demoniacs, epileptics, and
paralytics, and he cured them. And great crowds followed him from Galilee, the
Decapolis, Jerusalem, Judea, and from beyond the Jordan.

Lord Jesus Christ,
wise visitors from the East worshiped and adored you;
they brought you gifts gold, frankincense and myrrh.

We too have seen your glory,
but we have often turned away.
Lord, in your mercy,
shine your light on us.

We too have gifts,
but we have not fully used them or offered them to you.
Lord, in your mercy,
shine your light on us.

We too have acclaimed you as King,
but we have not served you with all our strength.
Lord, in your mercy,
shine your light on us.

We too have acknowledged you as God,
but we have not desired holiness.
Lord, in your mercy,
shine your light on us.

We too have welcomed you as Savior,
but we have failed to tell others of your grace.
Lord, in your mercy,
shine your light on us.

In the face of Jesus Christ,
your light and glory have blazed forth
to all the nations, O God;
with all your people,
may we make known your grace
and live out your ways of peace. Amen.

Believing the promises of God,

May Christ, the Son of God, be manifest in us
that our lives may be a light to the world. Amen.

_The Promise of His Glory_ (Mowbray), (c) The Central

The intercession is from _Chalice Worship_, (c) Chalice Press, 1997.
Reproduced with permission. The response is by Stephen Benner.