OREMUS: 6 January 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Jan 5 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Sunday, January 6, 2008
The Epiphany

Blessed are you, Sovereign God,
our light and our salvation,
 to you be glory and praise for ever.
Your light springs up for the righteous
and all the peoples have seen your glory.
You gave the Christ as a light to the nations,
and through the anointing of the Spirit
you established us as a royal priesthood.
You call us into your marvelous light,
that our lives may bear witness to your truth
and our lips never cease to proclaim your praise.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 84

How dear to me is your dwelling, O Lord of hosts!*
 My soul has a desire and longing
   for the courts of the Lord;
   my heart and my flesh rejoice in the living God.
The sparrow has found her a house
   and the swallow a nest
   where she may lay her young;*
 by the side of your altars, O Lord of hosts,
   my King and my God.
Happy are they who dwell in your house!*
 they will always be praising you.
Happy are the people whose strength is in you!*
 whose hearts are set on the pilgrims' way.
Those who go through the desolate valley
   will find it a place of springs,*
 for the early rains have covered it with pools of water.
They will climb from height to height,*
 and the God of gods will reveal himself in Zion.
Lord God of hosts, hear my prayer;*
 hearken, O God of Jacob.
Behold our defender, O God;*
 and look upon the face of your anointed.
For one day in your courts
   is better than a thousand in my own room,*
 and to stand at the threshold of the house of my God
   than to dwell in the tents of the wicked.
For the Lord God is both sun and shield;*
 he will give grace and glory;
No good thing will the Lord withhold*
 from those who walk with integrity.
O Lord of hosts,*
 happy are they who put their trust in you!

Psalm 87

On the holy mountain stands the city he has founded;*
 the Lord loves the gates of Zion
   more than all the dwellings of Jacob.
Glorious things are spoken of you,*
 O city of our God.
I count Egypt and Babylon among those who know me;*
 behold Philistia, Tyre and Ethiopia:
   in Zion were they born.
Of Zion it shall be said, 'Everyone was born in her,*
 and the Most High himself shall sustain her.'
The Lord will record as he enrols the peoples,*
 'These also were born there.'
The singers and the dancers will say,*
 'All my fresh springs are in you.'

A Song of Christ's Appearing (1 Timothy 3.16;6.15,16)
Christ Jesus was revealed in the flesh
and vindicated in the spirit.
He was seen by angels
and proclaimed among the nations.
Believed in throughout the world,
he was taken up in glory.
This will be made manifest at the proper time
by the blessed and only Sovereign,
Who alone has immortality,
and dwells in unapproachable light.
To the King of kings and Lord of lords
be honour and eternal dominion. Amen.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Isaiah 60:1-9]:

Arise, shine; for your light has come,
   and the glory of the Lord has risen upon you.
For darkness shall cover the earth,
   and thick darkness the peoples;
but the Lord will arise upon you,
   and his glory will appear over you.
Nations shall come to your light,
   and kings to the brightness of your dawn.

Lift up your eyes and look around;
   they all gather together, they come to you;
your sons shall come from far away,
   and your daughters shall be carried on their nurses' arms.
Then you shall see and be radiant;
   your heart shall thrill and rejoice,
because the abundance of the sea shall be brought to you,
   the wealth of the nations shall come to you.
A multitude of camels shall cover you,
   the young camels of Midian and Ephah;
   all those from Sheba shall come.
They shall bring gold and frankincense,
   and shall proclaim the praise of the Lord.
All the flocks of Kedar shall be gathered to you,
   the rams of Nebaioth shall minister to you;
they shall be acceptable on my altar,
   and I will glorify my glorious house.

Who are these that fly like a cloud,
   and like doves to their windows?
For the coastlands shall wait for me,
   the ships of Tarshish first,
to bring your children from far away,
   their silver and gold with them,
for the name of the Lord your God,
   and for the Holy One of Israel,
   because he has glorified you.

HYMN
Words: Christopher Smart (1722-1771)
Tune:  Rustington, Kit Smart, Ottery St. Mary, Castiglione
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/w/w407.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/w/w407.ht
ml

Where is this stupendous stranger?
Prophets, shepherds, kings, advise.
Lead me to my Master's manger,
show me where my Savior lies.
O Most Mighty! O Most Holy!
Far beyond the seraph's thought:
art thou then so weak and lowly
as unheeded prophets taught?

O the magnitude of meekness!
Worth from worth immortal sprung;
O the strength of infant weakness,
if eternal is so young!
God all-bounteous, all-creative,
whom no ills from good dissuade,
is incarnate, and a native
of the very world he made.

SECOND READING [John 2:1-11]:

On the third day there was a wedding in Cana of Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was there. Jesus
and his disciples had also been invited to the wedding. When the wine gave out, the mother of
Jesus said to him, 'They have no wine.' And Jesus said to her, 'Woman, what concern is that to
you and to me? My hour has not yet come.' His mother said to the servants, 'Do whatever he tells
you.' Now standing there were six stone water-jars for the Jewish rites of purification, each
holding twenty or thirty gallons. Jesus said to them, 'Fill the jars with water.' And they filled them
up to the brim. He said to them, 'Now draw some out, and take it to the chief steward.' So they
took it. When the steward tasted the water that had become wine, and did not know where it
came from (though the servants who had drawn the water knew), the steward called the
bridegroom and said to him, 'Everyone serves the good wine first, and then the inferior wine after
the guests have become drunk. But you have kept the good wine until now.' Jesus did this, the
first of his signs, in Cana of Galilee, and revealed his glory; and his disciples believed in him.

The Benedictus (Morning),
the
Magnificat (Evening), or
Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
God,
whose promise is for all nations,
sustain the Christmas glory still.
May the Lord shine upon us
and by the Holy Spirit reveal your plan.
We pray to our God:
May your love be near.

Let us pray for God's light:

silence

May the nations walk by your light
and kings and queens by your shining radiance.
Let all search together for profound peace.
We pray to our God:
May your love be near.

Let us pray for those without strength:

silence

Save the lives of the poor.
Rescue them when they cry out.
Govern your people with justice
and your afflicted ones with careful judgment.
We pray to our God:
May your love be near.

Let us pray for unity among all believers.

silence

Bring the new epiphany
where all will share the promise and rise in splendor.
In the Spirit, all are called to love.
We pray to our God:
May your love be near.

Everlasting God,
the radiance of faithful souls,
who brought the nations to your light
and kings to the brightness of your rising:
Fill the world with your glory,
and show yourself to all the nations;
through him who is the true light and the bright morning star,
Jesus Christ your Son, our Lord,
one God, now and forever. Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

May Christ, the Son of God, be manifest to us
that our lives may be a light to the world. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving (slightly altered) and the canticle is from
_Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition_, copyright
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

Westminster / John Knox Press.

The intercession (adapted) and the closing sentence are from _Chalice
Worship_, (c) Chalice Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.