OREMUS: 5 January 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Jan 4 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Saturday, January 5, 2008

you fill our hearts with joy
as we recognize in Christ the revelation of your love.
No eye can see his glory as our God,
yet now he is seen like one of us.
Christ is your Son before all ages,
yet now he is born in time.
He has come to lift up all things to himself,
to restore unity to creation,
and to lead us from exile into your heavenly kingdom.

http://www.oremus.org/chrocant.html

Psalm 62

For God alone my soul in silence waits;*
 from him comes my salvation.
He alone is my rock and my salvation,*
 my stronghold, so that I shall not be greatly shaken.
How long will you assail me to crush me,
   all of you together,*
 as if you were a leaning fence, a toppling wall?
They seek only to bring me down
   from my place of honour;*
 lies are their chief delight.
They bless with their lips,*
 but in their hearts they curse.
For God alone my soul in silence waits;*
 truly, my hope is in him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation,*
 my stronghold, so that I shall not be shaken.
In God is my safety and my honour;*
 God is my strong rock and my refuge.
Put your trust in him always, O people,*
 pour out your hearts before him, for God is our refuge.
Those of high degree are but a fleeting breath,*
 even those of low estate cannot be trusted.
On the scales they are lighter than a breath,*
 all of them together.
Put no trust in extortion;
   in robbery take no empty pride;*
 though wealth increase, set not your heart upon it.
God has spoken once, twice have I heard it,*
 that power belongs to God.
Steadfast love is yours, O Lord,*
 for you repay everyone according to his deeds.

Psalm 63

O God, you are my God; eagerly I seek you;*
 my soul thirsts for you, my flesh faints for you,
   as in a barren and dry land where there is no water;
Therefore I have gazed upon you in your holy place,*
 that I might behold your power and your glory.
For your loving-kindness is better than life itself;*
 my lips shall give you praise.
So will I bless you as long as I live*
 and lift up my hands in your name.
My soul is content, as with marrow and fatness,*
 and my mouth praises you with joyful lips,
When I remember you upon my bed,*
 and meditate on you in the night watches.
For you have been my helper,*
 and under the shadow of your wings I will rejoice.
My soul clings to you;*
 your right hand holds me fast.

A Song of the Holy City (Revelation 21.1-5a)
I saw a new heaven and a new earth,
for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away
and the sea was no more.
And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem,
coming down out of heaven from God,
prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
And I heard a great voice from the throne saying,
'Behold, the dwelling of God is among mortals.
'He will dwell with them and they shall be his peoples,
and God himself will be with them.
'He will wipe every tear from their eyes,
and death shall be no more.
'Neither shall there be mourning,
nor crying, nor pain any more,
for the former things have passed away.'
And the One who sat upon the throne said,
'Behold, I make all things new.'

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [1 John 3.11 21]:

For this is the message you have heard from the beginning, that we should love one
another. We must not be like Cain who was from the evil one and murdered his
brother. And why did he murder him? Because his own deeds were evil and his
brother's righteous. Do not be astonished, brothers and sisters, that the world hates
you. We know that we have passed from death to life because we love one another.
Whoever does not love abides in death. All who hate a brother or sister are murderers,
and you know that murderers do not have eternal life abiding in them. We know love
by this, that he laid down his life for us and we ought to lay down our lives for one
another. How does God's love abide in anyone who has the world's goods and sees a
brother or sister in need and yet refuses help?
Little children, let us love, not in word or speech, but in truth and action. And by this
we will know that we are from the truth and will reassure our hearts before him
whenever our hearts condemn us; for God is greater than our hearts, and he knows
everything. Beloved, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have boldness before God.

HYMN
Words: William Walsham How, 1854
Tune: Louez Dieu, St. Bees, Posen

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/j/j142.html

Jesus! Name of wondrous love!
Name all other names above!
Unto which must every knee
bow in deep humility.

Jesus! Name decreed of old,
to the maiden mother told,
kneeling in her lowly cell,
by the angel Gabriel.

Jesus! Name of priceless worth
to the fallen sons of earth,
for the promise that it gave,
"Jesus shall his people save."

Jesus! Name of mercy mild,
given to the holy Child
when the cup of human woe
first he tasted here below.

Jesus! only Name that's given,
under all the mighty heaven,
whereby man, to sin enslaved,
burst his fetters and is saved.

Jesus! Name of wondrous love!
Human Name of God above!
Pleading only this we flee,
helpless, O our God, to thee.

SECOND READING [John 1.43 end]:

The next day Jesus decided to go to Galilee. He found Philip and said to him, 'Follow
me.' Now Philip was from Bethsaida, the city of Andrew and Peter. Philip found
Nathanael and said to him, 'We have found him about whom Moses in the law and
also the prophets wrote, Jesus son of Joseph from Nazareth.' Nathanael said to him,
'Can anything good come out of Nazareth?' Philip said to him, 'Come and see.' When
Jesus saw Nathanael coming towards him, he said of him, 'Here is truly an Israelite in
whom there is no deceit!' Nathanael asked him, 'Where did you come to know me?'
Jesus answered, 'I saw you under the fig tree before Philip called you.' Nathanael
replied, 'Rabbi, you are the Son of God! You are the King of Israel!' Jesus answered,
'Do you believe because I told you that I saw you under the fig tree? You will see
greater things than these.' And he said to him, 'Very truly, I tell you, you will see
heaven opened and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of
Man.'

In this season of shining hope, let us call to mind the prophet's vision:
If you pour yourself out for the hungry and satisfy the desire of the afflicted,
Your light shall rise in the darkness and your gloom be like the noon day.

God of tender compassion:
Hear the cry of your children whose hope is faint.
Lord, in mercy, hear our prayer.

Ruler of all nations, prince of peace:
Bring an end to violence and the starvation linked with war.
Lord, in mercy, hear our prayer.

Promised Savior,
who will faithfully bring forth justice:
Overturn oppression and greed;
raise up those whom the world has brought low.
Lord, in mercy, hear our prayer.

Holy child, stable-born:
Provide warm shelter for the homeless poor,
and help us to see you in every guest.
Lord, in mercy, hear our prayer.

Infant of Bethlehem, brought in haste to Egypt:
Console all driven from home by cruel threat,
and protect all who must wander in search of refuge.
Lord, in mercy, hear our prayer.

Lord God, just and true,
you make your salvation known in the sight of the nations;
let the song of our hearts echo the music of your creation,
as you come among us to judge the earth
in our Saviour Jesus Christ. Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

May the Christ who by becoming incarnate gathered into one
things earthly and heavenly,
bestow upon us the fullness of peace and goodwill. Amen.

_The Promise of His Glory_ (Mowbray), (c) The Central