OREMUS: 4 January 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Jan 3 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Friday, January 4, 2008

you fill our hearts with joy
as we recognize in Christ the revelation of your love.
No eye can see his glory as our God,
yet now he is seen like one of us.
Christ is your Son before all ages,
yet now he is born in time.
He has come to lift up all things to himself,
to restore unity to creation,
and to lead us from exile into your heavenly kingdom.

http://www.oremus.org/chrocant.html

Psalm 59

Rescue me from my enemies, O God;*
 protect me from those who rise up against me.
Rescue me from evildoers*
 and save me from those who thirst for my blood.
See how they lie in wait for my life,
   how the mighty gather together against me;*
 not for any offence or fault of mine, O Lord.
Not because of any guilt of mine*
 they run and prepare themselves for battle.
Rouse yourself, come to my side and see;*
 for you, Lord God of hosts, are Israel's God.
My eyes are fixed on you, O my Strength;*
 for you, O God, are my stronghold.
My merciful God comes to meet me;*
 God will let me look in triumph on my enemies.
Let everyone know that God rules in Jacob,*
 and to the ends of the earth.
For my part, I will sing of your strength;*
 I will celebrate your love in the morning;
For you have become my stronghold,*
 a refuge in the day of my trouble.
To you, O my Strength, will I sing;*
 for you, O God, are my stronghold
   and my merciful God.

Psalm 61

Hear my cry, O God,*
 and listen to my prayer.
I call upon you from the ends of the earth
   with heaviness in my heart;*
 set me upon the rock that is higher than I.
For you have been my refuge,*
 a strong tower against the enemy.
I will dwell in your house for ever;*
 I will take refuge under the cover of your wings.
For you, O God, have heard my vows;*
 you have granted me the heritage
   of those who fear your name.
Add length of days to the king's life;*
 let his years extend over many generations.
Let him sit enthroned before God for ever;*
 bid love and faithfulness watch over him.
So will I always sing the praise of your name,*
 and day by day I will fulfil my vows.

A Song of God's Chosen One (Isaiah 11.1,2,3b-4a,6,9)
There shall come forth a shoot from the stock of Jesse,
and a branch shall grow out of his roots.
And the Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him,
the spirit of wisdom and understanding,
The spirit of counsel and might,
the spirit of knowledge and the fear of the Lord.
He shall not judge by what his eyes see,
or decide by what his ears hear,
But with righteousness he shall judge the poor,
and decide with equity for the meek of the earth.
The wolf shall dwell with the lamb,
and the leopard shall lie down with the kid.
The calf, the lion and the fatling together,
with a little child to lead them.
They shall not hurt or destroy in all my holy mountain,
for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord
as the waters cover the sea.

FIRST READING [1 John 3.7 10]:

Little children, let no one deceive you. Everyone who does what is right is righteous,
just as he is righteous. Everyone who commits sin is a child of the devil; for the devil
has been sinning from the beginning. The Son of God was revealed for this purpose, to
destroy the works of the devil. Those who have been born of God do not sin, because
God's seed abides in them; they cannot sin, because they have been born of God. The
children of God and the children of the devil are revealed in this way: all who do not
do what is right are not from God, nor are those who do not love their brothers and
sisters.

HYMN
Words: Charlotte Elliott, 1841
Tune: Woodworth, Saffron Walden

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/j/j257.html

Just as I am, without one plea,
but that thy blood was shed for me,
and that thou bidd'st me come to thee,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

Just as I am, and waiting not
to rid my soul of one dark blot,
to thee, whose blood can cleanse each spot,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

Just as I am, though tossed about
with many a conflict, many a doubt;
fightings and fears within, without,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

Just as I am, poor, wretched, blind;
sight, riches, healing of the mind,
yea, all I need, in thee to find,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

Just as I am, thou wilt receive;
wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve,
because thy promise I believe,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

Just as I am, thy love unknown
has broken every barrier down;
now to be thine, yea, thine alone,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

Just as I am, of that free love
the breadth, length, depth, and height to prove,
here for a season, then above:
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

SECOND READING [John 1.35 42]:

The next day John again was standing with two of his disciples, and as he watched
Jesus walk by, he exclaimed, 'Look, here is the Lamb of God!' The two disciples
heard him say this, and they followed Jesus. When Jesus turned and saw them
following, he said to them, 'What are you looking for?' They said to him, 'Rabbi'
(which translated means Teacher), 'where are you staying?' He said to them, 'Come
and see.' They came and saw where he was staying, and they remained with him that
day. It was about four o'clock in the afternoon. One of the two who heard John speak
and followed him was Andrew, Simon Peter's brother. He first found his brother
Simon and said to him, 'We have found the Messiah' (which is translated Anointed).
He brought Simon to Jesus, who looked at him and said, 'You are Simon son of John.
You are to be called Cephas' (which is translated Peter).

With each new day, O God of love and light,
we catch fresh glimpses of your presence with us,
and rejoice that you are Emmanuel, God-with-us,
even when we do not sense your presence.

As we recall again the story of this season,
we pray for all who receive you in surprising ways...
Incarnate God of peace
hear our prayer.

For those who prepare a place for you,
even in the mangers of this life...
Incarnate God of peace
hear our prayer.

For those whose lives are too full
to bid you welcome...
Incarnate God of peace
hear our prayer.

For those who hear good tidings of great joy
and hasten to share the good news...
Incarnate God of peace
hear our prayer.

O God,
who wonderfully created,
and yet more wonderfully restored,
the dignity of human nature:
Grant that we may share the divine life of him
who humbled himself to share our humanity,
your Son Jesus Christ;
who lives and reigns with you,
in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Awaiting his coming in glory,

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

May the Christ who by becoming incarnate gathered into one
things earthly and heavenly,
bestow upon us the fullness of peace and goodwill. Amen.

_The Promise of His Glory_ (Mowbray), (c) The Central