OREMUS: 1 March 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Feb 29 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Saturday, March 1, 2008
David, Bishop of Menevia, Patron of Wales, c

your steadfast love is shown to every living thing;
your word calls us forth and your law revives and refreshes.
You call us to repent our misuse of your gifts,
that we may be transformed by your wisdom
to manifest for others
the mercy of our crucified and risen Lord.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 119:129-152

Your decrees are wonderful;*
 therefore I obey them with all my heart.
When your word goes forth it gives light;*
 it gives understanding to the simple.
I open my mouth and pant;*
 I long for your commandments.
Turn to me in mercy,*
 as you always do to those who love your name.
Steady my footsteps in your word;*
 let no iniquity have dominion over me.
Rescue me from those who oppress me,*
 and I will keep your commandments.
Let your countenance shine upon your servant*
 and teach me your statutes.
My eyes shed streams of tears,*
 because people do not keep your law.
You are righteous, O Lord,*
 and upright are your judgements.
You have issued your decrees*
 with justice and in perfect faithfulness.
My indignation has consumed me,*
 because my enemies forget your words.
Your word has been tested to the uttermost,*
 and your servant holds it dear.
I am small and of little account,*
 yet I do not forget your commandments.
Your justice is an everlasting justice*
 and your law is the truth.
Trouble and distress have come upon me,*
 yet your commandments are my delight.
The righteousness of your decrees is everlasting;*
 grant me understanding, that I may live.
Psalm 119:145-152

I call with my whole heart;*
 answer me, O Lord, that I may keep your statutes.
I call to you; O that you would save me!*
 I will keep your decrees.
Early in the morning I cry out to you,*
 for in your word is my trust.
My eyes are open in the night watches,*
 that I may meditate upon your promise.
Hear my voice, O Lord,
   according to your loving-kindness;*
 according to your judgements, give me life.
They draw near who in malice persecute me;*
 they are very far from your law.
You, O Lord, are near at hand,*
 and all your commandments are true.
Long have I known from your decrees*
 that you have established them for ever.

Psalm 51

Have mercy on me, O God,
   according to your loving-kindness;*
 in your great compassion blot out my offences.
Wash me through and through from my wickedness*
 and cleanse me from my sin.
For I know my transgressions,*
 and my sin is ever before me.
Against you only have I sinned*
 and done what is evil in your sight.
And so you are justified when you speak*
 and upright in your judgement.
Indeed, I have been wicked from my birth,*
 a sinner from my mother's womb.
For behold, you look for truth deep within me,*
 and will make me understand wisdom secretly.
Purge me from my sin and I shall be pure;*
 wash me and I shall be clean indeed.
Make me hear of joy and gladness,*
 that the body you have broken may rejoice.
Hide your face from my sins*
 and blot out all my iniquities.
Create in me a clean heart, O God,*
 and renew a right spirit within me.
Cast me not away from your presence*
 and take not your holy Spirit from me.
Give me the joy of your saving help again*
 and sustain me with your bountiful Spirit.
I shall teach your ways to the wicked,*
 and sinners shall return to you.
Deliver me from death, O God,*
 and my tongue shall sing of your righteousness,
   O God of my salvation.
Open my lips, O Lord,*
 and my mouth shall proclaim your praise.
Had you desired it, I would have offered sacrifice,*
 but you take no delight in burnt-offerings.
The sacrifice of God is a troubled spirit;*
 a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.
Be favourable and gracious to Zion,*
 and rebuild the walls of Jerusalem.
Then you will be pleased with the appointed sacrifices,
   with burnt-offerings and oblations;*
 then shall they offer young bullocks upon your altar.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [Hosea 5.15   6.6]:

I will return again to my place
   until they acknowledge their guilt and seek my face.
   In their distress they will beg my favour:

'Come, let us return to the Lord;
   for it is he who has torn, and he will heal us;
   he has struck down, and he will bind us up.
After two days he will revive us;
   on the third day he will raise us up,
   that we may live before him.
Let us know, let us press on to know the Lord;
   his appearing is as sure as the dawn;
he will come to us like the showers,
   like the spring rains that water the earth.'

What shall I do with you, O Ephraim?
   What shall I do with you, O Judah?
Your love is like a morning cloud,
   like the dew that goes away early.
Therefore I have hewn them by the prophets,
   I have killed them by the words of my mouth,
   and my judgement goes forth as the light.
For I desire steadfast love and not sacrifice,
   the knowledge of God rather than burnt-offerings.

HYMN
Words: William Williams, 1745; trans. Peter Williams, 1771
Tune: Cwm Rhondda

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/g/g401.html

Guide me, O thou great Jehovah,
pilgrim though this barren land;
I am weak, but thou art mighty;
hold me with thy powerful hand;
Bread of heaven, Bread of heaven,
feed me till I want no more,
feed me till I want no more.

Open now the crystal fountain,
whence the healing stream doth flow;
let the fire and cloudy pillar
lead me all my journey through;
strong Deliverer, strong Deliverer.
be thou still my Strength and Shield,
be thou still my Strength and Shield.

When I tread the verge of Jordan,
bid my anxious fears subside;
bear me through the swelling current,
land me safe on Canaan's side;
songs of praises, songs of praises,
I will ever give to thee,
I will ever give to thee.

SECOND READING [Luke 18.9 14]:

Jesus also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous
and regarded others with contempt: 'Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a
Pharisee and the other a tax-collector. The Pharisee, standing by himself, was praying
thus, "God, I thank you that I am not like other people: thieves, rogues, adulterers, or
even like this tax-collector. I fast twice a week; I give a tenth of all my income." But
the tax-collector, standing far off, would not even look up to heaven, but was beating
his breast and saying, "God, be merciful to me, a sinner!" I tell you, this man went
down to his home justified rather than the other; for all who exalt themselves will be
humbled, but all who humble themselves will be exalted.'

O Lord, answer us in the day of trouble,
Send us help from your holy place.

Show us the path of life,
For in your presence is joy.

Give justice to the orphan and oppressed
And break the power of wickedness and evil.

Look upon the hungry and sorrowful
And grant them the help for which they long.

Let the heavens rejoice and the earth be glad;
May your glory endure for ever.

Your kingship has dominion over all
And with you is our redemption.

Take away, O Lord, the sin that corrupts us;
restore by grace your own image within us;
give us the sorrow that heals
and the joy that praises,
that we may take our place among your people,
in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Almighty God,
who called your servant David
to be a faithful and wise steward of your mysteries
      for the people of Wales:
in your mercy, grant that,
following his purity of life and zeal for the gospel of Christ,
we may with him receive the crown of everlasting life;

God of love,
turn our hearts to your ways;
and give us peace. Amen.

When the pagan Anglo-Saxons invaded Britain in the fifth and sixth centuries,
many British Christians sought refuge in the hill country of Wales. There they
developed a style of Christian life devoted to learning, asceticism, and
missionary fervor. Since there were no cities, the centers of culture were the
monasteries, and most abbots were bishops as well. Dewi (David in English)
was the founder, abbot, and bishop of the monastery of Mynyw (Menevia in
English) in Pembrokeshire. He was responsible for much of the spread of
Christianity in Wales, and his monastery was sought out by many scholars from
Ireland and elsewhere. He is commonly accounted the apostle of Wales, as
Patrick is of Ireland. His tomb is in St. David's cathedral, on the site of ancient
Mynyw, now called Ty-Dewi (House of David).
The ancient custom in Wales, as throughout Celtic Christendom, was to have
bishops who were abbots of monasteries, and who had no clear territorial
jurisdiction, simply traveling about as they were needed. Eventually, however,
the bishops of Bangor, Llandaff, St. Asaph, and St. Davids became the heads
of four territorial dioceses, to which the diocese of Monmouth and the diocese
of Swansea and Brecon have been added in this century.
For many centuries the Church in Wales had closer ties with the Celtic
Churches in Scotland, Ireland, and Brittany than with the Church in
Anglo-Saxon England. However, after the Norman conquest of Britain (1066
and after), the Anglo-Norman Kings began to contemplate the conquest of
Wales. William the Conqueror began with the subjugation of South Wales as
far as Carmathen, but the Welsh uplands remained independent far longer, and
the conquest was not complete until about 1300, under Edward I. But
eventually all of Wales came under English control, and the Church in Wales
was placed under the jurisdiction of Canterbury, and thus became identified in
the minds of many with the English supremacy. In 1920 the Church in Wales
(Eglwys yng Nghymru) became independent of outside jurisdiction (though
still in communion with other Anglican Churches, in England and elsewhere)
and clear of all ties with the government. It is bilingual and active in the
preservation of the Welsh language and culture.