OREMUS: 29 February 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Feb 28 17:02:24 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Friday, February 29, 2008

your steadfast love is shown to every living thing;
your word calls us forth and your law revives and refreshes.
You call us to repent our misuse of your gifts,
that we may be transformed by your wisdom
to manifest for others
the mercy of our crucified and risen Lord.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 70

Be pleased, O God, to deliver me;*
 O Lord, make haste to help me.
Let those who seek my life
   be ashamed and altogether dismayed;*
 let those who take pleasure in my misfortune
   draw back and be disgraced.
Let those who say to me 'Aha!'
   and gloat over me turn back,*
 because they are ashamed.
Let all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you;*
 let those who love your salvation say for ever,
   'Great is the Lord!'
But as for me, I am poor and needy;*
 come to me speedily, O God.
You are my helper and my deliverer;*
 O Lord, do not tarry.

Psalm 140

Deliver me, O Lord, from evildoers;*
 protect me from the violent,
Who devise evil in their hearts*
 and stir up strife all day long.
They have sharpened their tongues like a serpent;*
 adder's poison is under their lips.
Keep me, O Lord, from the hands of the wicked;*
 protect me from the violent,
   who are determined to trip me up.
The proud have hidden a snare for me
   and stretched out a net of cords;*
 they have set traps for me along the path.
I have said to the Lord, 'You are my God;*
 listen, O Lord, to my supplication.
'O Lord God, the strength of my salvation,*
 you have covered my head in the day of battle.
'Do not grant the desires of the wicked, O Lord,*
 nor let their evil plans prosper.
I know that the Lord will maintain the cause of the poor*
 and render justice to the needy.
Surely, the righteous will give thanks to your name,*
 and the upright shall continue in your sight.

A Song of Christ the Servant 1 Peter 2.21b-25

Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example,
that you should follow in his steps.
He committed no sin, no guile was found on his lips,
when he was reviled, he did not revile in turn.
When he suffered, he did not threaten,
but he trusted himself to God who judges justly.
Christ himself bore our sins in his body on the tree,
that we might die to sin and live to righteousness.
By his wounds, you have been healed,
for you were straying like sheep,
but have now returned
to the shepherd and guardian of your souls.

Psalm 147:13-end

Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [Hosea 14]:

Return, O Israel, to the Lord your God,
   for you have stumbled because of your iniquity.
Take words with you
   and return to the Lord;
say to him,
   'Take away all guilt;
accept that which is good,
   and we will offer
   the fruit of our lips.
Assyria shall not save us;
   we will not ride upon horses;
we will say no more, "Our God",
   to the work of our hands.
In you the orphan finds mercy.'

I will heal their disloyalty;
   I will love them freely,
   for my anger has turned from them.
I will be like the dew to Israel;
   he shall blossom like the lily,
   he shall strike root like the forests of Lebanon.
His shoots shall spread out;
   his beauty shall be like the olive tree,
   and his fragrance like that of Lebanon.
They shall again live beneath my shadow,
   they shall flourish as a garden;
they shall blossom like the vine,
   their fragrance shall be like the wine of Lebanon.

O Ephraim, what have I to do with idols?
   It is I who answer and look after you.
I am like an evergreen cypress;
   your faithfulness comes from me.
Those who are wise understand these things;
   those who are discerning know them.
For the ways of the Lord are right,
   and the upright walk in them,
   but transgressors stumble in them.

HYMN
Words:  Paul Gerhardt, 1653; trans. John Wesley, 1739
Tune: Carlisle

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/c/c363.html

Commit thou all thy ways
and griefs into his hands,
to his sure truth and tender care,
who heaven and earth commands.

Who points the clouds their course,
whom winds and seas obey,
he shall direct thy wandering feet,
he shall prepare thy way.

Thou on the Lord rely,
so safe shalt thou go on;
fix on his work thy steadfast eye
so shall thy work be done.

Leave to his sovereign sway
to choose and to command;
so shalt thou wondering own his way
how wise, how strong his hand.

Thou seest our weakness, Lord,
our hearts are known to thee;
O lift thou up the sinking hand,
confirm the feeble knee!

Let us in life, in death,
thy steadfast truth declare,
and publish with our latest breath
thy love and guardian care.

SECOND READING [Mark 12.28 34]:

One of the scribes came near and heard them disputing with one another, and seeing
that he answered them well, he asked him, 'Which commandment is the first of all?'
Jesus answered, 'The first is, "Hear, O Israel: the Lord our God, the Lord is one; you
shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all
your mind, and with all your strength." The second is this, "You shall love your
neighbour as yourself." There is no other commandment greater than these.' Then the
scribe said to him, 'You are right, Teacher; you have truly said that "he is one, and
besides him there is no other"; and "to love him with all the heart, and with all the
understanding, and with all the strength", and "to love one's neighbour as
oneself", this is much more important than all whole burnt-offerings and sacrifices.'
When Jesus saw that he answered wisely, he said to him, 'You are not far from the
kingdom of God.' After that no one dared to ask him any question.

Send forth your strength, O God,
Establish what you have wrought in us.

Uphold all those who fall
And raise up those who are bowed down.