OREMUS: 28 February 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Feb 27 18:23:44 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Thursday, February 28, 2008

your steadfast love is shown to every living thing;
your word calls us forth and your law revives and refreshes.
You call us to repent our misuse of your gifts,
that we may be transformed by your wisdom
to manifest for others
the mercy of our crucified and risen Lord.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 90

Lord, you have been our refuge*
 from one generation to another.
Before the mountains were brought forth,
   or the land and the earth were born,*
 from age to age you are God.
You turn us back to the dust and say,*
 'Go back, O child of earth.'
For a thousand years in your sight
   are like yesterday when it is past*
 and like a watch in the night.
You sweep us away like a dream;*
 we fade away suddenly like the grass.
In the morning it is green and flourishes;*
 in the evening it is dried up and withered.
For we consume away in your displeasure;*
 we are afraid because of your wrathful indignation.
Our iniquities you have set before you,*
 and our secret sins in the light of your countenance.
When you are angry, all our days are gone;*
 we bring our years to an end like a sigh.
The span of our life is seventy years,
   perhaps in strength even eighty;*
 yet the sum of them is but labour and sorrow,
   for they pass away quickly and we are gone.
Who regards the power of your wrath?*
 who rightly fears your indignation?
So teach us to number our days*
 that we may apply our hearts to wisdom.
Return, O Lord; how long will you tarry?*
 be gracious to your servants.
Satisfy us by your loving-kindness in the morning;*
 so shall we rejoice and be glad all the days of our life.
Make us glad by the measure of the days
   that you afflicted us*
 and the years in which we suffered adversity.
Show your servants your works*
 and your splendour to their children.
May the graciousness of the Lord our God be upon us;*
 prosper the work of our hands;
   prosper our handiwork.

Psalm 120

When I was in trouble I called to the Lord,*
 I called to the Lord and he answered me.
Deliver me, O Lord, from lying lips*
 and from the deceitful tongue.
What shall be done to you and what more besides,*
 O you deceitful tongue?
The sharpened arrows of a warrior,*
 along with hot glowing coals.
How hateful it is that I must lodge in Meshech*
 and dwell among the tents of Kedar!
Too long have I had to live*
 among the enemies of peace.
I am on the side of peace,*
 but when I speak of it, they are for war.

A Song of Repentance (1 John 1. 5-9)

This is the message we have heard from Christ
and proclaim to you:
that God is light,
in whom there is no darkness at all.
If we say that we have fellowship with God
while we walk in darkness,
we lie and do not do what is true.
But if we walk in the light
as God is in the light,
we have fellowship with one another.
And the blood of Jesus, the Son of God,
cleanses us from all our sins.
If we say that we have no sin,
we deceive ourselves
and the truth is not in us.
If we confess our sins,
the One who is faithful and just will forgive us
and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [Jeremiah 7.23 28]:

This command I gave them, 'Obey my voice, and I will be your God, and you shall be
my people; and walk only in the way that I command you, so that it may be well with
you.' Yet they did not obey or incline their ear, but, in the stubbornness of their evil
will, they walked in their own counsels, and looked backwards rather than forwards.
>From the day that your ancestors came out of the land of Egypt until this day, I have
persistently sent all my servants the prophets to them, day after day; yet they did not
listen to me, or pay attention, but they stiffened their necks. They did worse than their
ancestors did.
So you shall speak all these words to them, but they will not listen to you. You shall
call to them, but they will not answer you. You shall say to them: This is the nation
that did not obey the voice of the Lord their God, and did not accept discipline; truth
has perished; it is cut off from their lips.

HYMN
Words: Erik Routley (c) Stainer & Bell, Used with Permission.
Tune: Birabus

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/a/a185.html

All who love and serve your city,
all who bear its daily stress,
all who cry for peace and justice,
all who curse and all who bless,

In your day of loss and sorrow,
in your day of helpless strife,
honor, peace, and love retreating,
seek the Lord, who is your life.

In your day of wrath and plenty,
wasted work and wasted play,
call to mind the word of Jesus,
"I must work while it is day."

For all days are days of judgment,
and the Lord is waiting still,
drawing near a world that spurns him,
offering peace from Calvary's hill.

Risen Lord! shall yet the city
be the city of despair?
Come today, our Judge, our Glory;
be its name, "The Lord is there!"

SECOND READING [Luke 11.14 23]:

Now Jesus was casting out a demon that was mute; when the demon had gone out, the
one who had been mute spoke, and the crowds were amazed. But some of them said,
'He casts out demons by Beelzebul, the ruler of the demons.' Others, to test him, kept
demanding from him a sign from heaven. But he knew what they were thinking and
said to them, 'Every kingdom divided against itself becomes a desert, and house falls
on house. If Satan also is divided against himself, how will his kingdom stand?  for
you say that I cast out the demons by Beelzebul. Now if I cast out the demons by
Beelzebul, by whom do your exorcists cast them out? Therefore they will be your
judges. But if it is by the finger of God that I cast out the demons, then the kingdom of
God has come to you. When a strong man, fully armed, guards his castle, his property
is safe. But when one stronger than he attacks him and overpowers him, he takes away
his armour in which he trusted and divides his plunder. Whoever is not with me is
against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters.

Lord, open a path for your Word
To declare the mystery of Christ.

Turn now, O God of hosts;
Behold and tend the vine you have planted.

May your people rejoice and sing,
And your ministers be clothed with salvation.

May they stand and feed your flock
In the strength of your name.

Keep from trouble all those who trust in you
And forget not the poor for ever.

Have mercy, O Lord, upon us,
As we have put our hope in you.

God of consolation,
look upon us, pilgrims in a strange land:
preserve us from slander and deceit,
show us the truth
and give to our souls the peace Christ won upon the cross.
To him be glory for ever! Amen.

God of love,
turn our hearts to your ways;
and give us peace. Amen.