OREMUS: 26 February 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Feb 25 20:56:00 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Tuesday, February 26, 2008

your steadfast love is shown to every living thing;
your word calls us forth and your law revives and refreshes.
You call us to repent our misuse of your gifts,
that we may be transformed by your wisdom
to manifest for others
the mercy of our crucified and risen Lord.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 77

I will cry aloud to God;*
 I will cry aloud and he will hear me.
In the day of my trouble I sought the Lord;*
 my hands were stretched out by night and did not tire;
   I refused to be comforted.
I think of God, I am restless,*
 I ponder and my spirit faints.
You will not let my eyelids close;*
 I am troubled and I cannot speak.
I consider the days of old;*
 I remember the years long past;
I commune with my heart in the night;*
 I ponder and search my mind.
Will the Lord cast me off for ever?*
 will he no more show his favour?
Has his loving-kindness come to an end for ever?*
 has his promise failed for evermore?
Has God forgotten to be gracious?*
 has he, in his anger, withheld his compassion?
And I said, 'My grief is this:*
 the right hand of the Most High has lost its power.'
I will remember the works of the Lord,*
 and call to mind your wonders of old time.
I will meditate on all your acts*
 and ponder your mighty deeds.
Your way, O God, is holy;*
 who is so great a god as our God?
You are the God who works wonders*
 and have declared your power among the peoples.
By your strength you have redeemed your people,*
 the children of Jacob and Joseph.
The waters saw you, O God;
   the waters saw you and trembled;*
 the very depths were shaken.
The clouds poured out water; the skies thundered;*
 your arrows flashed to and fro;
The sound of your thunder was in the whirlwind;
   your lightnings lit up the world;*
 the earth trembled and shook.
Your way was in the sea,
   and your paths in the great waters,*
 yet your footsteps were not seen.
You led your people like a flock*
 by the hand of Moses and Aaron.

   Happy are they who fear the Lord*
 and have great delight in his commandments!
Their descendants will be mighty in the land;*
 the generation of the upright will be blessed.
Wealth and riches will be in their house,*
 and their righteousness will last for ever.
Light shines in the darkness for the upright;*
 the righteous are merciful and full of compassion.
It is good for them to be generous in lending*
 and to manage their affairs with justice.
For they will never be shaken;*
 the righteous will be kept in everlasting remembrance.
They will not be afraid of any evil rumours;*
 their heart is right;
   they put their trust in the Lord.
Their heart is established and will not shrink,*
 until they see their desire upon their enemies.
They have given freely to the poor,*
 and their righteousness stands fast for ever;
   they will hold up their head with honour.
The wicked will see it and be angry;
   they will gnash their teeth and pine away;*
 the desires of the wicked will perish.

A Song of the Word of the Lord (Isaiah 55.6-11)

Seek the Lord while he may be found,
call upon him while he is near;
Let the wicked abandon their ways,
and the unrighteous their thoughts;
Return to the Lord, who will have mercy;
to our God, who will richly pardon.
'For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,' says the Lord.
'For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.
'As the rain and the snow come down from above,
and return not again but water the earth,
'Bringing forth life and giving growth,
seed for sowing and bread to eat,
'So is my word that goes forth from my mouth;
it will not return to me fruitless,
'But it will accomplish that which I purpose,
and succeed in the task I gave it.'

FIRST READING [Song of the Three 2, 11 20]:

Azariah stood still in the fire and prayed aloud:
For your name's sake do not give us up for ever,
   and do not annul your covenant.
   Do not withdraw your mercy from us,
for the sake of Abraham your beloved
   and for the sake of your servant Isaac
   and Israel your holy one,
to whom you promised
   to multiply their descendants like the stars of heaven
   and like the sand on the shore of the sea.
For we, O Lord, have become fewer than any other nation,
   and are brought low this day in all the world because of our sins.
In our day we have no ruler, or prophet, or leader,
   no burnt-offering, or sacrifice, or oblation, or incense,
   no place to make an offering before you and to find mercy.
Yet with a contrite heart and a humble spirit may we be accepted,
   as though it were with burnt-offerings of rams and bulls,
   or with tens of thousands of fat lambs;
   such may our sacrifice be in your sight today,
   and may we unreservedly follow you,
   for no shame will come to those who trust in you.
And now with all our heart we follow you;
   we fear you and seek your presence.
Do not put us to shame,
   but deal with us in your patience
   and in your abundant mercy.
Deliver us in accordance with your marvellous works,
   and bring glory to your name, O Lord.

HYMN
Words: G. K. Chesterton, 1906
Tune: King's Lynn

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o174.html

O God of earth and altar,
bow down and hear our cry,
our earthly rulers falter,
our people drift and die;
the walls of gold entomb us,
the swords of scorn divide,
take not thy thunder from us,
but take away our pride.

>From all that terror teaches,
from lies of tongue and pen,
from all the easy speeches
that comfort cruel men,
from sale and profanation
of honor, and the sword,
from sleep and from damnation,
deliver us, good Lord!

Tie in a living tether
the prince and priest and thrall,
bind all our lives together,
smite us and save us all;
in ire and exultation
aflame with faith, and free,
lift up a living nation,
a single sword to thee.

SECOND READING [Matthew 18.21 end]:

Peter came and said to Jesus, 'Lord, if another member of the church sins against me,
how often should I forgive? As many as seven times?' Jesus said to him, 'Not seven
times, but, I tell you, seventy-seven times.
'For this reason the kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who wished to
settle accounts with his slaves. When he began the reckoning, one who owed him ten
thousand talents was brought to him; and, as he could not pay, his lord ordered him to
be sold, together with his wife and children and all his possessions, and payment to be
made. So the slave fell on his knees before him, saying, "Have patience with me, and I
will pay you everything." And out of pity for him, the lord of that slave released him
and forgave him the debt. But that same slave, as he went out, came upon one of his
fellow-slaves who owed him a hundred denarii; and seizing him by the throat, he said,
"Pay what you owe." Then his fellow-slave fell down and pleaded with him, "Have
patience with me, and I will pay you." But he refused; then he went and threw him into
prison until he should pay the debt. When his fellow-slaves saw what had happened,
they were greatly distressed, and they went and reported to their lord all that had taken
place. Then his lord summoned him and said to him, "You wicked slave! I forgave you
all that debt because you pleaded with me. Should you not have had mercy on your
fellow-slave, as I had mercy on you?" And in anger his lord handed him over to be
tortured until he should pay his entire debt. So my heavenly Father will also do to
every one of you, if you do not forgive your brother or sister from your heart.'

Show us your mercy, O Lord;
And grant us your salvation.

O Lord, save our nation;
And teach wisdom to those in authority.

Let your priests be clothed with righteousness;
Let your faithful people sing with joy.

Let your ways be known upon earth;
Your saving health among all nations.

Give your people the blessing of peace
And may all the earth be filled with your glory.

Create in us clean hearts, O God,
And renew a right spirit within us.

Majestic God,
you led your people like a flock
and delivered them by your mighty power in times of old:
do not forget your people in their troubles
and raise up your power
to sustain the poor and helpless,
for the honour of your Name. Amen.

God of love,