OREMUS: 24 February 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Feb 23 17:00:00 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Sunday, February 24, 2008
The Third Sunday in Lent

your steadfast love is shown to every living thing;
your word calls us forth and your law revives and refreshes.
You call us to repent our misuse of your gifts,
that we may be transformed by your wisdom
to manifest for others
the mercy of our crucified and risen Lord.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 80

Hear, O Shepherd of Israel, leading Joseph like a flock;*
 shine forth, you that are enthroned upon the cherubim.
In the presence of Ephraim, Benjamin and Manasseh,*
 stir up your strength and come to help us.
Restore us, O God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.
O Lord God of hosts,*
 how long will you be angered
   despite the prayers of your people?
You have fed them with the bread of tears;*
 you have given them bowls of tears to drink.
You have made us the derision of our neighbours,*
 and our enemies laugh us to scorn.
Restore us, O God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.
You have brought a vine out of Egypt;*
 you cast out the nations and planted it.
You prepared the ground for it;*
 it took root and filled the land.
The mountains were covered by its shadow*
 and the towering cedar trees by its boughs.
You stretched out its tendrils to the Sea*
 and its branches to the River.
Why have you broken down its wall,*
 so that all who pass by pluck off its grapes?
The wild boar of the forest has ravaged it,*
 and the beasts of the field have grazed upon it.
Turn now, O God of hosts, look down from heaven;
   behold and tend this vine;*
 preserve what your right hand has planted.
They burn it with fire like rubbish;*
 at the rebuke of your countenance let them perish.
Let your hand be upon the man of your right hand,*
 the son of man you have made so strong for yourself.
And so will we never turn away from you;*
 give us life, that we may call upon your name.
Restore us, O Lord God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.

A Song of the Rock (Deuteronomy 32.1-12)

Give ear, O heavens, and I will speak;
and let the earth hear the words of my mouth.
May my teaching drop as the rain,
my speech distil as the dew,
as the gentle rain on the grass,
and as the showers upon the meadow.
For I will proclaim the name of the Lord.
Ascribe greatness to our God!
The Rock, his work is perfect; for all his ways are just:
a faithful God without deceit, just and upright is he.
His degenerate children have dealt corruptly with him;
a perverse and crooked generation.
Do you thus repay the Lord, you foolish and senseless people?
Is not he your father, who created you,
who made you and established you?
Remember the days of old, consider the years long past;
ask your father, and he will show you;
your elders, and they will tell you.
When the Most High gave the nations their inheritance,
when he divided the children of earth,
he fixed the bounds of the peoples
according to the number of the children of God.
For the Lord's own portion is his people,
Jacob his allotted heritage.
He sustained him in a desert land,
in the howling waste of the wilderness;
he shielded him and cared for him;
he kept him as the apple of his eye.
As an eagle stirs up its nest, and hovers over its young,
spreading out its wings, takes them,
and bears them aloft on its pinions,
So the Lord alone did guide him,
and no foreign god was with him.

Psalm 117

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Joshua 1:1-9]:

After the death of Moses the servant of the Lord, the Lord spoke to Joshua son of
Nun, Moses' assistant, saying, 'My servant Moses is dead. Now proceed to cross the
Jordan, you and all this people, into the land that I am giving to them, to the Israelites.
Every place that the sole of your foot will tread upon I have given to you, as I
promised to Moses. From the wilderness and the Lebanon as far as the great river, the
river Euphrates, all the land of the Hittites, to the Great Sea in the west shall be your
territory. No one shall be able to stand against you all the days of your life. As I was
with Moses, so I will be with you; I will not fail you or forsake you. Be strong and
courageous; for you shall put this people in possession of the land that I swore to their
ancestors to give them. Only be strong and very courageous, being careful to act in
accordance with all the law that my servant Moses commanded you; do not turn from
it to the right hand or to the left, so that you may be successful wherever you go. This
book of the law shall not depart out of your mouth; you shall meditate on it day and
night, so that you may be careful to act in accordance with all that is written in it. For
then you shall make your way prosperous, and then you shall be successful. I hereby
command you: Be strong and courageous; do not be frightened or dismayed, for the
Lord your God is with you wherever you go.'

HYMN
Words: Hugh Stowell, 1828
Tune: Retreat

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/f/f267.html

>From every stormy wind that blows,
from every swelling tide of woes,
there is a calm, a sure retreat;
'tis found beneath the mercy seat.

There is a scene where spirits blend,
where friend holds fellowship with friend;
though sundered far, by faith they meet
around one common mercy seat.

Ah, whither could we flee for aid,
when tempted, desolate, dismayed?
Or how the hosts of hell defeat,
had suffering saints no mercy-seat?

There, there, on eagles' wings we soar,
and time and sense seem all no more;
and heaven comes down, our souls to greet,
and glory crowns the mercy-seat.

SECOND READING [Ephesians 6:10-20]:

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his power. Put on the whole
armour of God, so that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For our
struggle is not against enemies of blood and flesh, but against the rulers, against the
authorities, against the cosmic powers of this present darkness, against the spiritual
forces of evil in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armour of God, so
that you may be able to withstand on that evil day, and having done everything, to
stand firm. Stand therefore, and fasten the belt of truth around your waist, and put on
the breastplate of righteousness. As shoes for your feet put on whatever will make you
ready to proclaim the gospel of peace. With all of these, take the shield of faith, with
which you will be able to quench all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the
helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
Pray in the Spirit at all times in every prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert
and always persevere in supplication for all the saints. Pray also for me, so that when I
speak, a message may be given to me to make known with boldness the mystery of the
gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it boldly, as I
must speak.

With faith and love and in union with Christ,
let us offer our prayer before the throne of grace.

Have mercy on your people,
for whom your Son laid down his life.
Graciously hear us, O Lord.

Bring healing and wholeness to people and nations,
and have pity on those torn apart by division.
Graciously hear us, O Lord.

Strengthen all who are persecuted for your name's sake,
and deliver them from evil.
Graciously hear us, O Lord.

Look in mercy upon all who suffer,
and hear those who cry out in pain and desolation.
Graciously hear us, O Lord.

Bring comfort to the dying,
and gladden their hearts with the power of your glory.
Graciously hear us, O Lord.

We pray for your Church, especially:
Graciously hear us, O Lord.

As we rejoice in the triumph of the cross,
we pray that the whole of creation may find fulfilment
in the eternal kingdom of God:

Eternal God,
your kingdom has broken into our troubled world
through the life, death, and resurrection of your Son:
Help us to hear your Word and obey it,
that we may become instruments of your saving love;
one God, now and forever. Amen.

God of love,
turn our hearts to your ways;
and give us peace. Amen.