OREMUS: 22 February 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Feb 21 17:14:00 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Friday, February 22, 2008

you accepted the sacrifice of your Son,
who gave himself up for the sake of all.
You train us by his teaching
and school us in his obedience,
that as we walk his way of sacrifice,
we may come to share in your glory.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 54

Save me, O God, by your name;*
 in your might, defend my cause.
Hear my prayer, O God;*
 give ear to the words of my mouth.
For the arrogant have risen up against me,
   and the ruthless have sought my life,*
 those who have no regard for God.
Behold, God is my helper;*
 it is the Lord who sustains my life.
Render evil to those who spy on me;*
 in your faithfulness, destroy them.
I will offer you a freewill sacrifice*
 and praise your name, O Lord, for it is good.
For you have rescued me from every trouble,*
 and my eye has seen the ruin of my foes.

Psalm 56

Have mercy on me, O God,
   for my enemies are hounding me;*
 all day long they assault and oppress me.
They hound me all the day long;*
 truly there are many who fight against me, O Most High.
Whenever I am afraid,*
 I will put my trust in you.
In God, whose word I praise,
   in God I trust and will not be afraid,*
 for what can flesh do to me?
All day long they damage my cause;*
 their only thought is to do me evil.
They band together; they lie in wait;*
 they spy upon my footsteps; because they seek my life.
Shall they escape despite their wickedness?*
 O God, in your anger, cast down the peoples.
You have noted my lamentation;
   put my tears into your bottle;*
 are they not recorded in your book?
Whenever I call upon you,
   my enemies will be put to flight;*
 this I know, for God is on my side.
In God the Lord, whose word I praise,
   in God I trust and will not be afraid,*
 for what can mortals do to me?
I am bound by the vow I made to you, O God;*
 I will present to you thank-offerings;
For you have rescued my soul from death
   and my feet from stumbling,*
 that I may walk before God in the light of the living.

A Song of Christ the Servant 1 Peter 2.21b-25

Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example,
that you should follow in his steps.
He committed no sin, no guile was found on his lips,
when he was reviled, he did not revile in turn.
When he suffered, he did not threaten,
but he trusted himself to God who judges justly.
Christ himself bore our sins in his body on the tree,
that we might die to sin and live to righteousness.
By his wounds, you have been healed,
for you were straying like sheep,
but have now returned
to the shepherd and guardian of your souls.

Psalm 147:13-end

Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [Genesis 37.3 4, 12 13, 17 28]:

Now Israel loved Joseph more than any other of his children, because he was the son
of his old age; and he had made him a long robe with sleeves. But when his brothers
saw that their father loved him more than all his brothers, they hated him, and could
not speak peaceably to him.
Now his brothers went to pasture their father's flock near Shechem. And Israel said to
Joseph, 'Are not your brothers pasturing the flock at Shechem? Come, I will send you
to them.' He answered, 'Here I am.' The man said, 'They have gone away, for I heard
them say, "Let us go to Dothan." ' So Joseph went after his brothers, and found them
at Dothan. They saw him from a distance, and before he came near to them, they
conspired to kill him. They said to one another, 'Here comes this dreamer. Come now,
let us kill him and throw him into one of the pits; then we shall say that a wild animal
has devoured him, and we shall see what will become of his dreams.' But when
Reuben heard it, he delivered him out of their hands, saying, 'Let us not take his life.'
Reuben said to them, 'Shed no blood; throw him into this pit here in the wilderness,
but lay no hand on him' that he might rescue him out of their hand and restore him
to his father. So when Joseph came to his brothers, they stripped him of his robe, the
long robe with sleeves that he wore; and they took him and threw him into a pit. The
pit was empty; there was no water in it.
Then they sat down to eat; and looking up they saw a caravan of Ishmaelites coming
from Gilead, with their camels carrying gum, balm, and resin, on their way to carry it
down to Egypt. Then Judah said to his brothers, 'What profit is there if we kill our
brother and conceal his blood? Come, let us sell him to the Ishmaelites, and not lay our
hands on him, for he is our brother, our own flesh.' And his brothers agreed. When
some Midianite traders passed by, they drew Joseph up, lifting him out of the pit, and
sold him to the Ishmaelites for twenty pieces of silver. And they took Joseph to Egypt.

HYMN
Words: Cyril A. Alington (c) Hope Publishing Company, Used with permission.
Tune: Abbot's Leigh, Hyfrydol

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/y/y021a.html

Ye that know the Lord is gracious,
ye for whom a cornerstone
stands, of God elect and precious,
laid that ye may build thereon,
see that on that sure foundation
ye a living temple raise,
towers that may tell forth salvation,
walls that may re-echo praise.

Living stones, by God appointed
each to his allotted place,
kings and priests, by God anointed,
shall ye not declare his grace?
Ye, a royal generation,
tell the tidings of your birth,
tidings of a new creation
to an old and weary earth.

Tell the praise of him who called you
out of darkness into light,
broke the fetters that enthralled you,
gave you freedom, peace and sight:
tell the tale of sins forgiven,
strength renewed and hope restored,
till the earth, in tune with heaven,
praise and magnify the Lord.

SECOND READING [Matthew 21.33 43, 45 46]:

Jesus said, 'Listen to another parable. There was a landowner who planted a vineyard,
put a fence around it, dug a wine press in it, and built a watch-tower. Then he leased it
to tenants and went to another country. When the harvest time had come, he sent his
slaves to the tenants to collect his produce. But the tenants seized his slaves and beat
one, killed another, and stoned another. Again he sent other slaves, more than the first;
and they treated them in the same way. Finally he sent his son to them, saying, "They
will respect my son." But when the tenants saw the son, they said to themselves, "This
is the heir; come, let us kill him and get his inheritance." So they seized him, threw him
out of the vineyard, and killed him. Now when the owner of the vineyard comes, what
will he do to those tenants?' They said to him, 'He will put those wretches to a
miserable death, and lease the vineyard to other tenants who will give him the produce
at the harvest time.'
Jesus said to them, 'Have you never read in the scriptures:
"The stone that the builders rejected
   has become the cornerstone;
this was the Lord's doing,
   and it is amazing in our eyes"?
Therefore I tell you, the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a
people that produces the fruits of the kingdom.

When the chief priests and the Pharisees heard his parables, they realized that he was
speaking about them. They wanted to arrest him, but they feared the crowds, because
they regarded him as a prophet.

Send forth your strength, O God,
Establish what you have wrought in us.

Uphold all those who fall
And raise up those who are bowed down.

Open the eyes of the blind
And set the prisoners free.

Sustain the orphan and widow
And give food to those who hunger.

Grant them the joy of your help again
And sustain them with your Spirit.

O Lord, judge the peoples
And take all nations for your own.

O living God,
reach through the violence of the proud
and the despair of the weak
to create in Jesus Christ
a free people to praise your holy Name. Amen.

Help us, O God, to be obedient to your call
to love all your children,
to do justice and show mercy,
and to live in peace with your whole creation;