OREMUS: 20 February 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Feb 19 20:45:34 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Wednesday, February 20, 2008
William Grant Broughton, First Bishop of Australia, 1853

you accepted the sacrifice of your Son,
who gave himself up for the sake of all.
You train us by his teaching
and school us in his obedience,
that as we walk his way of sacrifice,
we may come to share in your glory.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 34

I will bless the Lord at all times;*
 his praise shall ever be in my mouth.
I will glory in the Lord;*
 let the humble hear and rejoice.
Proclaim with me the greatness of the Lord;*
 let us exalt his name together.
I sought the Lord and he answered me*
 and delivered me out of all my terror.
Look upon him and be radiant,*
 and let not your faces be ashamed.
I called in my affliction and the Lord heard me*
 and saved me from all my troubles.
The angel of the Lord
   encompasses those who fear him,*
 and he will deliver them.
Taste and see that the Lord is good;*
 happy are they who trust in him!
Fear the Lord, you that are his saints,*
 for those who fear him lack nothing.
The young lions lack and suffer hunger,*
 but those who seek the Lord
   lack nothing that is good.
Come, children, and listen to me;*
 I will teach you the fear of the Lord.
Who among you loves life*
 and desires long life to enjoy prosperity?
Keep your tongue from evil-speaking*
 and your lips from lying words.
Turn from evil and do good;*
 seek peace and pursue it.
The eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous,*
 and his ears are open to their cry.
The face of the Lord is against those who do evil,*
 to root out the remembrance of them from the earth.
The righteous cry and the Lord hears them*
 and delivers them from all their troubles.
The Lord is near to the brokenhearted*
 and will save those whose spirits are crushed.
Many are the troubles of the righteous,*
 but the Lord will deliver him out of them all.
He will keep safe all his bones;*
 not one of them shall be broken.
Evil shall slay the wicked,*
 and those who hate the righteous will be punished.
The Lord ransoms the life of his servants,*
 and none will be punished who trust in him.

Psalm 39

I said, 'I will keep watch upon my ways,*
 so that I do not offend with my tongue.
'I will put a muzzle on my mouth*
 while the wicked are in my presence.'
So I held my tongue and said nothing;*
 I refrained from rash words;
   but my pain became unbearable.
My heart was hot within me;
   while I pondered, the fire burst into flame;*
 I spoke out with my tongue:
Lord, let me know my end and the number of my days,*
 so that I may know how short my life is.
You have given me a mere handful of days,
   and my lifetime is as nothing in your sight;*
 truly, even those who stand erect are but a puff of wind.
We walk about like a shadow
   and in vain we are in turmoil;*
 we heap up riches and cannot tell who will gather them.
And now, what is my hope?*
 O Lord, my hope is in you.
Deliver me from all my transgressions*
 and do not make me the taunt of the fool.
I fell silent and did not open my mouth,*
 for surely it was you that did it.
Take your affliction from me;*
 I am worn down by the blows of your hand.
With rebukes for sin you punish us;
   like a moth you eat away all that is dear to us;*
 truly, everyone is but a puff of wind.
Hear my prayer, O Lord, and give ear to my cry;*
 hold not your peace at my tears.
For I am but a sojourner with you,*
 a wayfarer, as all my forebears were.
Turn your gaze from me, that I may be glad again,*
 before I go my way and am no more.

A Song of Humility (Hosea 6.1-6)

Come, let us return to the Lord
who has torn us and will heal us.
God has stricken us
and will bind up our wounds.
After two days, he will revive us,
and on the third day will raise us up,
that we may live in his presence.
Let us strive to know the Lord;
his appearing is as sure as the sunrise.
He will come to us like the showers,
like the spring rains that water the earth.
'O Ephraim, how shall I deal with you?
How shall I deal with you, O Judah?
'Your love for me is like the morning mist,
like the dew that goes early away.
'Therefore, I have hewn them by the prophets,
and my judgement goes forth as the light.
'For loyalty is my desire and not sacrifice,
and the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings.'

Psalm 147:13-end

Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [Jeremiah 18.18 20]:

They said, 'Come, let us make plots against Jeremiah for instruction shall not perish
from the priest, nor counsel from the wise, nor the word from the prophet. Come, let
us bring charges against him, and let us not heed any of his words.'
Give heed to me, O Lord,
   and listen to what my adversaries say!
Is evil a recompense for good?
   Yet they have dug a pit for my life.
Remember how I stood before you
   to speak good for them,
   to turn away your wrath from them.

HYMN
Words: Frances Ridley Havergal, 1869
Tune: Jesu, meine Zuversicht (Ratisbon)

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/j/j127.html

Jesus, Master, whom I serve,
though so feebly and so ill,
strengthen hand and heart and nerve
all thy bidding to fulfill;
open thou mine eyes to see
all the work thou hast done for me.

Lord, thou needest not, I know,
service such as I can bring;
yet I long to prove and show
full allegiance to my King.
Thou Redeemer art to me;
let me be a praise to thee.

Jesus, Master, wilt thou use
one who owes thee more than all?
As thou wilt! I would not choose;
only let me hear thy call.
Jesus! let me always be
in thy service glad and free.

SECOND READING [Matthew 20.17 28]:

While Jesus was going up to Jerusalem, he took the twelve disciples aside by
themselves, and said to them on the way, 'See, we are going up to Jerusalem, and the
Son of Man will be handed over to the chief priests and scribes, and they will condemn
him to death; then they will hand him over to the Gentiles to be mocked and flogged
and crucified; and on the third day he will be raised.'
Then the mother of the sons of Zebedee came to him with her sons, and kneeling
before him, she asked a favour of him. And he said to her, 'What do you want?' She
said to him, 'Declare that these two sons of mine will sit, one at your right hand and
one at your left, in your kingdom.' But Jesus answered, 'You do not know what you
are asking. Are you able to drink the cup that I am about to drink?' They said to him,
'We are able.' He said to them, 'You will indeed drink my cup, but to sit at my right
hand and at my left, this is not mine to grant, but it is for those for whom it has been
prepared by my Father.'
When the ten heard it, they were angry with the two brothers. But Jesus called them to
him and said, 'You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their
great ones are tyrants over them. It will not be so among you; but whoever wishes to
be great among you must be your servant, and whoever wishes to be first among you
must be your slave; just as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to
give his life a ransom for many.'

Teach us, O Lord, the way of your statutes:
And lead us in the path of your commandments.

Keep our nation under your care:
And guide us in justice and truth.

O Lord, deal graciously with your servants;
teach us discernment and knowledge.

Let not the needy be forgotten:
Nor the hope of the poor be taken away.

Guide the meek in judgement:
And teach your ways to the gentle.

Lord, remember your people:
Whom you have purchased and redeemed of old.

Hear us, Lord, when we cry to you.
Calm our bodies and minds with the peace
which passes understanding,
and make us radiant with the knowledge of your goodness;
through Jesus Christ our Savior. Amen.

Everlasting God,
your messengers have carried the Good News of Christ
to the ends of the earth:
grant that we who remember William Grant Broughton
and the builders of your Church in Australia
may know the truth of the Gospel in our hearts
and build upon the foundations they have laid;
through Jesus Christ our Lord,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit

Help us, O God, to be obedient to your call
to love all your children,
to do justice and show mercy,
and to live in peace with your whole creation;

The second collect is adapted from a prayer in _A Prayer Book for
Australia_, (c) 1995, The Anglican Church of Australia Trust
Corporation.

When the English first settled Australia in the eighteenth century, they
established churches under the authority of the Bishop of London. Over the
next two centuries the Anglican Church of Australia gradually moved towards
independence from England. In 1814, responsibility for British subjects in
Australia passed from the Bishop of London to the new Bishop of Calcutta,
and in 1836 Australia was recognized as a diocese with its own bishop, William
Grant Broughton. With this new recognition of the diocese of Australia came a
time of great religious expansion and church building. By 1847 this expansion
had become so great that Australia was split into separate dioceses of Sydney,
Melbourne, Adelaide, and Newcastle, each with their own bishops. Broughton
was named the first Bishop of Sydney. As Australia's population and church
grew, new dioceses continued to be formed. Five provinces of the church were
established, each containing several dioceses.