OREMUS: 19 February 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Feb 18 21:23:16 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Tuesday, February 19, 2008

you accepted the sacrifice of your Son,
who have himself up for the sake of all.
You train us by his teaching
and school us in his obedience,
that as we walk his way of sacrifice,
we may come to share in your glory.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 28

O Lord, I call to you;
   my rock, do not be deaf to my cry;*
 lest, if you do not hear me,
   I become like those who go down to the Pit.
Hear the voice of my prayer when I cry out to you,*
 when I lift up my hands to your holy of holies.
Do not snatch me away with the wicked
   or with the evildoers,*
 who speak peaceably with their neighbours,
   while strife is in their hearts.
Repay them according to their deeds,*
 and according to the wickedness of their actions.
According to the work of their hands repay them,*
 and give them their just deserts.
They have no understanding of the Lord's doings,
   nor of the works of his hands;*
 therefore he will break them down
   and not build them up.
Blessed is the Lord!*
 for he has heard the voice of my prayer.
The Lord is my strength and my shield;*
 my heart trusts in him and I have been helped;
Therefore my heart dances for joy,*
 and in my song will I praise him.
The Lord is the strength of his people,*
 a safe refuge for his anointed.
Save your people and bless your inheritance;*
 shepherd them and carry them for ever.

Psalm 32

Happy are they whose transgressions are forgiven,*
 and whose sin is put away!
Happy are they to whom the Lord imputes no guilt,*
 and in whose spirit there is no guile!
While I held my tongue, my bones withered away,*
 because of my groaning all day long.
For your hand was heavy upon me day and night;*
 my moisture was dried up as in the heat of summer.
Then I acknowledged my sin to you,*
 and did not conceal my guilt.
I said, 'I will confess my transgressions to the Lord';*
 then you forgave me the guilt of my sin.
Therefore all the faithful will make their prayers to you
   in time of trouble;*
 when the great waters overflow, they shall not reach them.
You are my hiding-place;
   you preserve me from trouble;*
 you surround me with shouts of deliverance.
'I will instruct you and teach you
   in the way that you should go;*
 I will guide you with my eye.
'Do not be like horse or mule,
   which have no understanding;*
 who must be fitted with bit and bridle,
   or else they will not stay near you.'
Great are the tribulations of the wicked;*
 but mercy embraces those who trust in the Lord.
Be glad, you righteous, and rejoice in the Lord;*
 shout for joy, all who are true of heart.

A Song of the Word of the Lord (Isaiah 55.6-11)

Seek the Lord while he may be found,
call upon him while he is near;
Let the wicked abandon their ways,
and the unrighteous their thoughts;
Return to the Lord, who will have mercy;
to our God, who will richly pardon.
'For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,' says the Lord.
'For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.
'As the rain and the snow come down from above,
and return not again but water the earth,
'Bringing forth life and giving growth,
seed for sowing and bread to eat,
'So is my word that goes forth from my mouth;
it will not return to me fruitless,
'But it will accomplish that which I purpose,
and succeed in the task I gave it.'

FIRST READING [Isaiah 1.10, 16 20]:

Hear the word of the Lord,
   you rulers of Sodom!
Listen to the teaching of our God,
   you people of Gomorrah!
Wash yourselves; make yourselves clean;
   remove the evil of your doings
   from before my eyes;
cease to do evil,
   learn to do good;
seek justice,
   rescue the oppressed,
defend the orphan,
   plead for the widow.

Come now, let us argue it out,
   says the Lord:
though your sins are like scarlet,
   they shall be like snow;
though they are red like crimson,
   they shall become like wool.
If you are willing and obedient,
   you shall eat the good of the land;
but if you refuse and rebel,
   you shall be devoured by the sword;
   for the mouth of the Lord has spoken.

HYMN
Words: John Greenleaf Whittier, 1850
Tune: Welwyn, Intercessor, Donne secours

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o026.html

O brother man, fold to thy heart thy brother;
where pity dwells, the peace of God is there;
to worship rightly is to love each other,
each smile a hymn, each kindly deed a prayer.

For he whom Jesus loved has truly spoken:
the holier worship which He deigns to bless
restores the lost, and binds the spirit broken,
and feeds the widow and the fatherless.

Follow with reverent steps the great example
of him whose holy work was doing good;
so shall the wide earth seem our Father's temple,
each loving life a psalm of gratitude.

Then shall all shackles fall; the stormy clangor
of wild war music o'er the earth shall cease;
love shall tread out the baleful fire of anger,
and in its ashes plant the tree of peace.

SECOND READING [Matthew 23.1 12]:

Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples, 'The scribes and the Pharisees sit on
Moses' seat; therefore, do whatever they teach you and follow it; but do not do as
they do, for they do not practise what they teach. They tie up heavy burdens, hard to
bear, and lay them on the shoulders of others; but they themselves are unwilling to lift
a finger to move them. They do all their deeds to be seen by others; for they make
their phylacteries broad and their fringes long. They love to have the place of honour
at banquets and the best seats in the synagogues, and to be greeted with respect in the
market-places, and to have people call them rabbi. But you are not to be called rabbi,
for you have one teacher, and you are all students. And call no one your father on
earth, for you have one Father the one in heaven. Nor are you to be called
instructors, for you have one instructor, the Messiah. The greatest among you will be
your servant. All who exalt themselves will be humbled, and all who humble
themselves will be exalted.'

Show us your mercy, O Lord;
And grant us your salvation.

O Lord, save our nation;
And teach wisdom to those in authority.

Let your priests be clothed with righteousness;
Let your faithful people sing with joy.

Let your ways be known upon earth;
Your saving health among all nations.

Give your people the blessing of peace
And may all the earth be filled with your glory.

Create in us clean hearts, O God,
And renew a right spirit within us.

Hear us, Shepherd of your people,
you who commanded us to love our neighbours
with our whole hearts:
forgive us our sins
and make us whole in body and soul;

Help us, O God, to be obedient to your call
to love all your children,
to do justice and show mercy,
and to live in peace with your whole creation;