OREMUS: 17 February 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Feb 16 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Sunday, February 17, 2008
The Second Sunday in Lent

you accepted the sacrifice of your Son,
who have himself up for the sake of all.
You train us by his teaching
and school us in his obedience,
that as we walk his way of sacrifice,
we may come to share in your glory.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 50

The Lord, the God of gods, has spoken;*
 he has called the earth
   from the rising of the sun to its setting.
Out of Zion, perfect in its beauty,*
 God reveals himself in glory.
Our God will come and will not keep silence;*
 before him there is a consuming flame,
   and round about him a raging storm.
He calls the heavens and the earth from above*
 to witness the judgement of his people.
'Gather before me my loyal followers,*
 those who have made a covenant with me
   and sealed it with sacrifice.'
Let the heavens declare the rightness of his cause;*
 for God himself is judge.
Hear, O my people, and I will speak:
   'O Israel, I will bear witness against you;*
 for I am God, your God.
'I do not accuse you because of your sacrifices;*
 your offerings are always before me.
'I will take no bull-calf from your stalls,*
 nor he-goats out of your pens;
'For the beasts of the forest are mine,*
 the herds in their thousands upon the hills.
'I know every bird in the sky,*
 and the creatures of the fields are in my sight.
'If I were hungry, I would not tell you,*
 for the whole world is mine and all that is in it.
'Do you think I eat the flesh of bulls,*
 or drink the blood of goats?
'Offer to God a sacrifice of thanksgiving*
 and make good your vows to the Most High.
'Call upon me in the day of trouble;*
 I will deliver you and you shall honour me.'
But to the wicked God says:*
 'Why do you recite my statutes,
   and take my covenant upon your lips;
'Since you refuse discipline,*
 and toss my words behind your back?
'When you see a thief, you make him your friend,*
 and you cast in your lot with adulterers.
'You have loosed your lips for evil,*
 and harnessed your tongue to a lie.
'You are always speaking evil of your brother*
 and slandering your own mother's son.
'These things you have done and I kept still,*
 and you thought that I am like you.
'I have made my accusation;*
 I have put my case in order before your eyes.
'Consider this well, you who forget God,*
 lest I rend you and there be none to deliver you.
'Whoever offers me the sacrifice of thanksgiving
   honours me;*
 but to those who keep in my way
   will I show the salvation of God.'

A Song of the Rock (Deuteronomy 32.1-12)

Give ear, O heavens, and I will speak;
and let the earth hear the words of my mouth.
May my teaching drop as the rain,
my speech distil as the dew,
as the gentle rain on the grass,
and as the showers upon the meadow.
For I will proclaim the name of the Lord.
Ascribe greatness to our God!
The Rock, his work is perfect; for all his ways are just:
a faithful God without deceit, just and upright is he.
His degenerate children have dealt corruptly with him;
a perverse and crooked generation.
Do you thus repay the Lord, you foolish and senseless people?
Is not he your father, who created you,
who made you and established you?
Remember the days of old, consider the years long past;
ask your father, and he will show you;
your elders, and they will tell you.
When the Most High gave the nations their inheritance,
when he divided the children of earth,
he fixed the bounds of the peoples
according to the number of the children of God.
For the Lord's own portion is his people,
Jacob his allotted heritage.
He sustained him in a desert land,
in the howling waste of the wilderness;
he shielded him and cared for him;
he kept him as the apple of his eye.
As an eagle stirs up its nest, and hovers over its young,
spreading out its wings, takes them,
and bears them aloft on its pinions,
So the Lord alone did guide him,
and no foreign god was with him.

Psalm 117

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Numbers 21:4-9]:

>From Mount Hor they set out by the way to the Red Sea, to go around the land of
Edom; but the people became impatient on the way. The people spoke against God
and against Moses, 'Why have you brought us up out of Egypt to die in the
wilderness? For there is no food and no water, and we detest this miserable food.'
Then the Lord sent poisonous serpents among the people, and they bit the people, so
that many Israelites died. The people came to Moses and said, 'We have sinned by
speaking against the Lord and against you; pray to the Lord to take away the serpents
from us.' So Moses prayed for the people. And the Lord said to Moses, 'Make a
poisonous serpent, and set it on a pole; and everyone who is bitten shall look at it and
live.' So Moses made a serpent of bronze, and put it upon a pole; and whenever a
serpent bit someone, that person would look at the serpent of bronze and live.

HYMN
Words: Charles Wesley, 1742
Tune: Stockton, Song 67

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o137.html

O for a heart to praise my God,
a heart from sin set free,
a heart that always feels thy blood
so freely shed for me.

A heart resigned, submissive, meek,
my great Redeemer's throne,
where only Christ is heard to speak,
where Jesus reigns alone.

A humble, lowly, contrite, heart,
believing, true and clean,
which neither life nor death can part
from him that dwells within.

A heart in every thought renewed
and full of love divine,
perfect and right and pure and good,
a copy, Lord, of thine.

My heart, thou know'st, can never rest
till thou create my peace;
till of mine Eden repossessed,
from self, and sin, I cease.

Thy nature, gracious Lord, impart;
come quickly from above;
write thy new name upon my heart,
thy new, best name of Love.

SECOND READING [Luke 14:7-33]:

When Jesus noticed how the guests chose the places of honour, he told them a
parable. 'When you are invited by someone to a wedding banquet, do not sit down at
the place of honour, in case someone more distinguished than you has been invited by
your host; and the host who invited both of you may come and say to you, "Give this
person your place", and then in disgrace you would start to take the lowest place. But
when you are invited, go and sit down at the lowest place, so that when your host
comes, he may say to you, "Friend, move up higher"; then you will be honoured in the
presence of all who sit at the table with you. For all who exalt themselves will be
humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.'
He said also to the one who had invited him, 'When you give a luncheon or a dinner,
do not invite your friends or your brothers or your relatives or rich neighbours, in case
they may invite you in return, and you would be repaid. But when you give a banquet,
invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, and the blind. And you will be blessed, because
they cannot repay you, for you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous.'
One of the dinner guests, on hearing this, said to him, 'Blessed is anyone who will eat
bread in the kingdom of God!' Then Jesus said to him, 'Someone gave a great dinner
and invited many. At the time for the dinner he sent his slave to say to those who had
been invited, "Come; for everything is ready now." But they all alike began to make
excuses. The first said to him, "I have bought a piece of land, and I must go out and
see it; please accept my apologies." Another said, "I have bought five yoke of oxen,
and I am going to try them out; please accept my apologies." Another said, "I have
just been married, and therefore I cannot come." So the slave returned and reported
this to his master. Then the owner of the house became angry and said to his slave,
"Go out at once into the streets and lanes of the town and bring in the poor, the
crippled, the blind, and the lame." And the slave said, "Sir, what you ordered has been
done, and there is still room." Then the master said to the slave, "Go out into the
roads and lanes, and compel people to come in, so that my house may be filled. For I
tell you, none of those who were invited will taste my dinner."'
Now large crowds were travelling with him; and he turned and said to them, 'Whoever
comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and
sisters, yes, and even life itself, cannot be my disciple. Whoever does not carry the
cross and follow me cannot be my disciple. For which of you, intending to build a
tower, does not first sit down and estimate the cost, to see whether he has enough to
complete it? Otherwise, when he has laid a foundation and is not able to finish, all who
see it will begin to ridicule him, saying, "This fellow began to build and was not able to
finish." Or what king, going out to wage war against another king, will not sit down
first and consider whether he is able with ten thousand to oppose the one who comes
against him with twenty thousand? If he cannot, then, while the other is still far away,
he sends a delegation and asks for the terms of peace. So therefore, none of you can
become my disciple if you do not give up all your possessions.

As we prepare for the paschal feast,
let us offer intercessions to God
who gave up his Son for us.

For this holy gathering,
for all Christians enduring persecution
and tested by suffering,
and for all the holy people of God.
Lord of mercy, hear us.

For catechumens and their sponsors.
Lord of mercy, hear us.

For the descendants of Abraham and Sarah,
for all who share God's covenant,
and for all the peoples of the earth.
Lord of mercy, hear us.

For all who are oppressed, afflicted, or in despair.
Lord of mercy, hear us.

For the dying and the dead,
and for those who mourn.
Lord of mercy, hear us.

For our deliverance from all affliction, strife, and need.
Lord of mercy, hear us.

God of mercy,
you are full of tenderness and compassion,
slow to anger, rich in mercy,
and always ready to forgive.
Grant us grace to renounce all evil
and to cling to Christ,
that in every way we may prove to be your loving children;
one God, forever and ever. Amen.

Help us, O God, to be obedient to your call
to love all your children,
to do justice and show mercy,
and to live in peace with your whole creation;